S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ESMRace Spherical Review

Old 05-18-2019, 01:57 AM
dc.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to give them a chance to get the orders right. Shit happens. They sound understaffed and busy right now though, and even though communication is a little slow, they do eventually get back to me. I have been working with Dan. They told me that the missing 8 have shipped and that they are getting the two rattling ones replaced and sent out soon. I'm willing to give them a chance. I'll keep everyone in the loop.

In regards to maintenance, bearings that have Teflon (PTFE) usually don't require any maintenance. According to the ESM website most of their bearings have it.

ESM Race offers self-lubricating PTFE liners on nearly all of our rod ends and spherical bearings. The PTFE liner is chemically bonded to the inner diamete
Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just received my ESM sphericals as well. I ordered the full rear master kit (AP2), front lower shock bushing, and front lower leading bushing. I only received the rear full kit and am missing 4 of the front bushings. I have also contacted ESM to hopefully resolve this issue quickly.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 PM
Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dc.
I contacted ESM and they have supposedly shipped out the x8 (4 per kit) that we were missing. We also discovered this slop in the spherical unit that we believe is part of the machining of the housing where the bearing itself goes into. We have sent an email to ESM to see if they can help us out on this as well as it appears to be a machining defect to the housing unit where the bearing is pressed in. We are anxious to get the kit together from ESM so that we can get to some product/car testing along with some exciting reviews of the ESM Race spherical bearings product.

Here is a video of the slop:

https://youtu.be/3soTpb3fTC8

side profile of the housing

the spherical bearing which sits inside of the black housing

side profile specs

length profile spec
We've encountered loose or sloppy bearings, from our experience they tighten up once they are pressed in.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:22 PM
dc.

initiald3s - It looks like the same thing happened to the both of us. Were you able to confirm which ones you were missing? I think I have seen your S at the track before (I was lurking...). Interesting screen name too... makes me wonder what other cars you have?

RogueMotorsports - It's just a little odd that those two were significantly looser (to a point where you could shake the entire unit and it would rattle). It seemed like the housing where the spherical was pressed in was more conical and not a consistent diameter. From the video, you can see how loose that bearing is inside of the machined housing. Any sort of movement would result in a clunk (whether it would be audible inside the S or not) and any sort of rotating would be done by the 'bearing inside the housing' and not of the spherical bearing itself. I appreciate your comments, but with how labor/time-intensive swapping sphericals to our race cars are, I just didn't want to chance pressing in something that is not consistent to begin with, doing an alignment, and finding out that the play was too excessive and having to down our cars again and repeat the processes. Let's hope it all works out though!

If ESM Racing takes care of this, and the product works out, I have no problems sending more of our cars to use their products. Hopefully everything gets to us in a reasonable amount of time. I'll keep everyone updated!

Last edited by dc.; 05-20-2019 at 06:35 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-20-2019, 06:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

@dc. lol dont mind my screen name. just a screenname i had forever. i only have a s2k and rsx. i asked for only the front lower shock bushing, front lower leading bushing, and rear full kit. i only received the rear full kit.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dc.

If ESM Racing takes care of this, and the product works out, I have no problems sending more of our cars to use their products. Hopefully everything gets to us in a reasonable amount of time. I'll keep everyone updated!
I'm curious.... did you look into the Blacktrax Performance option?
Old 05-28-2019, 09:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
That's disappointing about the lack of parts and out of spec parts. I personally went with another spherical bearing option. Absolutely no issues because they handle all the installation of the bearings into the arms.
sounds like you went the king pin route?
Old 05-29-2019, 08:10 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by V6 Donut
sounds like you went the king pin route?
Correct. Plenty of feedback on the forums already.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:56 AM
dc.

UPDATE:

We received the x8 missing sphericals for the front upper control arms (we ordered two kits), and have received one of the two housings/bearings for the sloppy units (the new one is tight like it should be). I just followed up with ESM on the last remaining sloppy bearing unit replacement though. I'll continue to keep everyone updated with receiving the last spherical bearing, and then onto the install of both of these kits.

OTHER THINGS:

ESM will also be carrying some sort of camber/caster adjustment unit for the fronts I believe. We're going to be searching for more camber in the front and rear, so I have put an inquiry in about that.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Correct. Plenty of feedback on the forums already.
Agreed, his reputation is second to none. although, its technically a 1 off set every time. So you pay for 1 off set.

Quick Reply: ESMRace Spherical Review