S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Evolution Driving School

Old 02-12-2001, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently been informed about the SCCA-sponsored Evolution Driving Schools. They look pretty cool on the webpage (http://autocross.com/evolution)...has anyone been to one of these? What did you think? Are there other driving schools that you would recommend? I've only recently started the whole autocross thing, so now I've gotta learn how drive my stook the way it was meant to be driven! As CG can attest, the tires on the rental Miata I raced a few weeks ago won't hold up long at the rate I'm going .
Old 02-12-2001, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Tedow
I've recently been informed about the SCCA-sponsored Evolution Driving Schools. They look pretty cool on the webpage (http://autocross.com/evolution)...has anyone been to one of these? What did you think? Are there other driving schools that you would recommend? I've only recently started the whole autocross thing, so now I've gotta learn how drive my stook the way it was meant to be driven! As CG can attest, the tires on the rental Miata I raced a few weeks ago won't hold up long at the rate I'm going .
Well, first off, the school is not sponsored by the SCCA. It just has most of the SCCA national champions teaching the classes It is an independent company that teaches basic autox skills.

If you are interested in autox, then I definitely recommend the Evolution Performance Driving phase 1 school. You'll get a lot of seat time with some excellent instructors.

They usually have schools around different areas of the country a couple of times a year and it'll run you about $150-$200.

You run your own car, so you'll put quite a bit of tire wear on it, but you'll also get used to driving your car, not someone else's (like at Skip Barber et al).
Old 02-12-2001, 06:17 PM

Tedow,
pls let me know what you learn about the Evolution Performance Driving phase 1 school. i participated in two solo II events and i spent the weekend at the Texas World Speedway. i'm hooked and i would like to continue to improve with the S2k. any information and/or advise that you can provide is appreciated.
Old 02-13-2001, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tedow-
Because you asked
Old 02-13-2001, 10:42 PM

As a past student of the Evolution schools (formerly known as McKamey) and a current instructor, I would have to say that this is some of the best money you can spend.

I autocrossed for three years before taking the schools and only wished I'd taken them earlier. The learning curve is greatly improved.

Basically the format is that you get to take a number of runs in your car with both you driving and the instructor driving. The morning session of Phase I involves the instructor working with you on specific things they see that they feel you can improve on. Since the course is the same all day, you get to see what minor changes in your driving can do to your times. For the afternoon, you get a different instructor and we teach some additional skills regarding looking ahead to help you see the course differently.

Although it would seem I'm biased being an instructor and all, I have to say that I really believe this should be one of the first things someone should spend money on. Driving skills far outweigh minor changes to cars. The S2000 is a different beast than most cars, but rather than buying an exhaust or even shocks, you'll get more improvements in time by taking this school.

If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. I do plan on instructing at a few of the schools this year. I'll probably be at the Louisville schools, Sacramento schools, and the Seattle schools.

Ron Bauer
Old 02-14-2001, 09:03 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be a great idea to go to one of these schools. I haven't had a chance to do it yet but I will at some point. A lot of the things I teach in our driving schools I've picked up in bits and pieces from Evolution / McKamey instructors. These guys are much better drivers than I am. We'll be putting on another Corvette school soon and if you want to do that one I'll be your main instructor. There's also another great autoX site that I like to go to that's not too far from us. If we went to an event there you could get a great deal of instrution from both me and some of the top national drivers. If you're interested send me an e-mail or we can talk about it at the next event.

And yes he beat the hell out of those rental Miata tires!