S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First time at Road Atlanta - with video

Old 06-04-2002, 04:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First time at Road Atlanta - with video

I don't visit this forum much, but thought y'all might like to see video of Road Atlanta, especially if you've never been. I attended a 'track day' last Saturday, and had borrowed a friend's camcorder.

I have posted 3 mpg videos (different file sizes, same lap) on the Atlanta Forum, here's the link
There are 3 files -
  • lap1 is full 320x240 and is 24 megs
  • lap1_med is 320x240 slower bit rate and is 17 megs
  • lap1_small is 160x112 and is 10 megs.

The videos have "commentary" text titles, especially the two smaller ones, and are of a full lap with no one in front of me (weren't too many of those). You'll note lots of sloppy turns, but it was a total blast. The car is TOTALLY stock, S02's, and 50k miles. Got a whopping 8 mpg's too. After a cool-down lap, and a minute or so in the pits, rotor temps were 488 F. Wore out a set of stock brake pads (screetching at the end of the day), but the real surprise was I didn't burn a drop of oil. What's with that?? Engine finally broken in?

While I have lots of autocross experience, I have no no real track time to speak of, so last weekend qualifies me as a "beginner" I think. Lap time according to the video camera is 1:55.3. Any comparisons from anyone else who has run RA?

One more question - stock brake pads suck. (suck=FADE). What's my choices for TRACK ONLY? I'll change them just for the day if I do this again.
Old 06-04-2002, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice video! It looked like you had the right line for the most part, and aside from a couple bobbles that was an decent lap. I did a little digging, and the SCCA T2 record there is a Mustang at 1:45.390. Stock S2000 would probably be around 4-5 seconds slower than that record if driven at the limit.

The things I noticed you noticed, too... foot down through the esses(you may need 4th there briefly if you get a clean exit onto the esses) - clean up 10A (downshifting while braking may help there) and carrying more speed through 12 (I think that might be 4th gear territory - short shift?).

Thanks for posting... I needed a good Atlanta video to help learn the track better! I will hopefully be racing there later this season. Can't wait!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1:55 in a stock S2000 for a beginner and first time at RA is very good. Congrats!
Old 06-04-2002, 09:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason Saini
[B]Nice video!
Old 06-04-2002, 10:40 PM

Nice video!! A couple of sloppy turns, but I think you did pretty good for a beginner on S02's. Excellent.

Dale
Old 06-05-2002, 05:12 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was great, thanks for posting it.

I guess I'm either a wuss or spoiled or both but I like more run off room and fewer walls to hit. I nearly took out the pit wall at Talladega a few weeks ago and I can't wait for my next chance to miss the wall...
Old 06-05-2002, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sweet vid! and you are right, those stock brake pads suck! *laughs* you could definate brake later with a better pad.

thanks for sharing!
Old 06-05-2002, 10:27 AM

Hi Modifry,

That is some fine driving, especially for your first time at RA! Even though you are already faster than me, I think that I can help you gain a bit of time.

I told one of the instructors at a past event that I was hitting the rev limiter at the track out of turn 12, scaring myself silly. His advice was similar to Jason's, shift into 4th just after cresting the hill. You will carry much more speed through the front straight and turn one (~109 to 110 mph for me). Your line will be a little bit different by tracking out farther at turn 1. Going up top of the hill, place your car on first the yellow line, then the 4th white slash, then the 2nd white slash, then the first. I have a video but don't know how to post it.

For brakes, I used Panther XP's in front and P+'s in back with great results. Got them from Andy at a good price with 10% discount for S2KI.

Hope to meet you someday.

Take care,

Mark

PS I love your shift indicator! Where did you get it?
Old 06-05-2002, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ORIF 1
[B]... I love your shift indicator!
Old 06-05-2002, 04:55 PM

Who makes that shift warning buzzer? My old Field VTEC controller in my Prelude had one and I loved it A lot better than a shift light since it does not distract your eyes.

Quick Reply: First time at Road Atlanta - with video