S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Fluid change frequency?

Old 10-03-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky_Flowers_
You change your oil on your track-only car every 6-7 track days? Are you shitting me?

unless your Blackstone oil analysis tells you otherwise, why would you change more often?
The following users liked this post:
TrumpetTitan (08-14-2019)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You change your oil on your track-only car every 6-7 track days? Are you shitting me?
This gonna be good.
As for me, I'm about 75% track 25% street and I change all my fluid at the beginning of a season. (4-6 track days a year.)
Started doing oil analysis' but I think it's too early to draw a conclusion from that. I may adjust my changes if the analysis warrants it though.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by miamirice
unless your Blackstone oil analysis tells you otherwise, why would you change more often?
Why would you risk it? Especially when you consider what typical oil temperatures in an S2000 on track can be. If you're doing 30 minute sessions, and you don't have an aftermarket oil cooler, I'd change it at least every other track day. Oil is cheap. F motors aren't. Pretty cut and dry.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Why would you risk it? Especially when you consider what typical oil temperatures in an S2000 on track can be. If you're doing 30 minute sessions, and you don't have an aftermarket oil cooler, I'd change it at least every other track day. Oil is cheap. F motors aren't. Pretty cut and dry.
On any oil? my mobile 1 friends change almost after every track event. I am running amsoil signature and change after 4 track "days"and a couple of auto x sprinkled in between.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 AM

I don’t know how basing your decision on a lab analysis of your oil is “risking it”.
so your saying “because I feel better doing it” and it’s not based on any science. And that’s your prerogative, but your response to his post was as if you had scientific info (I.e. data from f22 motor oil analysis on your side). I don’t know what the answer is....but again...black stone analysis is REAL vs. a “feel good” methodology. I talk to some guys that run Global MX-5. They have 2 cars and a semi supplied by Mazda. I asked them how often should I change oil in my spec Miata and the answer was “run at least 4 days and then work off your oil analysis”. So their history in running the NA chasis and sending oil samples got them to the “4 day minimum” if you will. So if your “oil is cheep and motors are not” is what is cut and dry, that’s true.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

This.

I just use Mobil 1 Full Syn @ 10W30, it's $22 for a 5 quart jug, and with rebates, it's half of that.

I'll continue to change my engine oil every 3 days, oil filter every 6 days and trans fluid every 9 days or so. Trans is just 1 quart at ~$7 /. Cheap insurance.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:31 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

I don’t know how basing your decision on a lab analysis of your oil is “risking it”.
so your saying “because I feel better doing it” and it’s not based on any science. And that’s your prerogative, but your response to his post was as if you had scientific info (I.e. data from f22 motor oil analysis on your side). I don’t know what the answer is....but again...black stone analysis is REAL vs. a “feel good” methodology. I talk to some guys that run Global MX-5. They have 2 cars and a semi supplied by Mazda. I asked them how often should I change oil in my spec Miata and the answer was “run at least 4 days and then work off your oil analysis”. So their history in running the NA chasis and sending oil samples got them to the “4 day minimum” if you will. So if your “oil is cheep and motors are not” is what is cut and dry, that’s true.
You know what man, if you're happy changing your oil at those frequencies, go for it. Do your thing. If Sick Sideways is telling you to keep the same oil in your car for 4 days, do it. If you trust a blackstone oil report to the point where you'd self-prescribe a 5-6 day change interval, I won't argue with you. None of that bothers me. I would say the majority of people, myself included, would rather be proactive with their maintenance intervals because it's considerably easier to change your oil regularly than swap a motor because you believed the advice of others. If oil temps are kept in check, then absolutely I'd agree with you. However, these cars tend to heat oil up to the point where it breaks down much faster than it would in, say, a Miata motor. If you want to go off of your data, by all means do so, but I would log oil temps and then see if you still feel comfortable leaving the same oil in your motor for more than a couple track days. I've seen what temps my oil gets to at Sebring, in June, over a 30 minute Chin session, and its high enough to make me not want to risk it.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:03 PM

There’s nothing wrong with what you do. It works for you. I am not trying to change your mind. But the science involved in answering the OP question lies in the oil analysis. Color, oil temps, type of oil ......blah, blah, blah....that’s all pretty empirical stuff if your not analyzing the oil. So if the OP wants to go with the average of the herd....he can read through all the answers and graph it out. Or, he can send some oil samples and get an idea of what’s going on and even learn about possible concerns with the health of the motor.

I also know about high reving Honda motors. I have a k20 that runs a 9400 redline that runs sprints and enduro. I do agree with you that the F motors will run high oil temps when water temps are norm. I wouldn’t have a track only F without an oil cooler personally.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Recently, I've put in fresh oil and changed the filter whenever I swap the engine.

Last edited by will010100; 10-03-2017 at 08:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by will010100:
Chibo (10-04-2017), JamesD89 (10-03-2017), TrumpetTitan (08-14-2019)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

There’s nothing wrong with what you do. It works for you. I am not trying to change your mind. But the science involved in answering the OP question lies in the oil analysis. Color, oil temps, type of oil ......blah, blah, blah....that’s all pretty empirical stuff if your not analyzing the oil. So if the OP wants to go with the average of the herd....he can read through all the answers and graph it out. Or, he can send some oil samples and get an idea of what’s going on and even learn about possible concerns with the health of the motor.

I also know about high reving Honda motors. I have a k20 that runs a 9400 redline that runs sprints and enduro. I do agree with you that the F motors will run high oil temps when water temps are norm. I wouldn’t have a track only F without an oil cooler personally.
If going with an average, omit me. I'm obviously an outlier.

Quick Reply: Fluid change frequency?