S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Girodisc floating rotors - testing results on page 5

Old 11-13-2013, 09:05 AM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
Those rotor hats rusted so quickly?
My first use of these rotors was a 105f track day at thunderhill that put a serious amount of heat through them. I would imagine my stock wheel mounting surface is mainly to blaim for the amount of surface rust I am seeing on the hat. I would imagine they could be cleaned up very easily but any rotor hat will develop some I would imagine. I also do plenty of driving in the rain.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Community Organizer

Received 664 Likes on 418 Posts

How long are your pads lasting with these rotors and ducting?
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by goldenfri
How long are your pads lasting with these rotors and ducting?
I don't use ducting but on my current setup with Club Racers and 225 front tires I would say from the pad wear I saw at Laguna I would easily get 30-36 20 minute sessions or 5-6 track days. With track only use I would guess I could get even more than that though. I daily drive with these pads. Pad life seems to be pretty dependent on ambient temps though. I do way more street driving than track but equating it to track sessions I think 30-36 sessions is a good estimate. At Thunderhill (105+F) I got about 2x as much wear as I did at a 70F degree day at Laguna. I will be back at Thunderhill on Sunday with nice 65-70F temps and fresh front pads and then to Buttonwillow on the 29th using the same pads.

I would imagine that pad life might increase more using non-slotted rotor rings but having tried these pads on normal blank rotors as well there is no way I would go back from slotted. The pad wear is significantly more even using the 2-piece Girodisc rotors. No cone shaped pad wear and even on the inside and outside pad.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wait, your pad wear was INCREASED with these new rotors? I thought lower temps meant less wear
Old 11-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by DutchOven
Wait, your pad wear was INCREASED with these new rotors? I thought lower temps meant less wear
No. I haven't been able to do a proper test as I haven't extensively used the Club Racer pad on OEM rotors. I can absolutely say I get more pad life with Club Racer pads + Girodisc rotors compared to HC+800 pads and OEM blank rotors though with very similar use on identical tires.

As I mentioned, I would take my wear examples with a grain of salt though since my car gets used in a weird variety of situations. If you want more accurate pad wear examples I would wait for cracknut or someone else to chime in who's car only sees track use. But testing takes time and you have to factor in that the Girodisc is slotted and the blank rotors are not. I am not sure exactly how big of an effect that has but I would imagine it makes a difference.

Short of moving to a BBK, I would imagine that ducting and an aluminum 4 pot caliper would make a nice difference in pad wear as well. The main benefit of this 2 piece rotor is being able to put it through serious abuse and not have to deal with possible cracking and quickly eating through rotors. While many people crack rotors, I was eating through them quite quickly.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 PM

Oh interesting. Thanks for your input. I might just try these out
Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by afzan' timestamp='1384350509' post='22875011
My first use of these rotors was a 105f track day at thunderhill that put a serious amount of heat through them. I would imagine my stock wheel mounting surface is mainly to blaim for the amount of surface rust I am seeing on the hat. I would imagine they could be cleaned up very easily but any rotor hat will develop some I would imagine. I also do plenty of driving in the rain.
I don't remember my stoptech hats wearing this quickly. Can anybody that has had a bbk for while chime in?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by albertg
I don't remember my stoptech hats wearing this quickly. Can anybody that has had a bbk for while chime in?
I wouldn't call it wear. Keep in mind I pulled off dirty AP2v2 wheels from dirty oxidized OEM rotors, put on the new rotors and then dirty wheels. I haven't even made an attempt to wipe off the rotor hat.

Take a look at pics from earlier in this thread from other users and the rotor hat looks just fine. I will clean them up next time I pull off the wheels as well.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:03 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by albertg
Originally Posted by andrewhake' timestamp='1384365911' post='22875500
[quote name='afzan' timestamp='1384350509' post='22875011']
[/quote]
my stoptech hats look mint (no rust) after a couple of years, they've colour shifted from all the track abuse though.. That's why I noticed those rusty rotor hats right away
Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aluminum doesn't rust per se. When it does oxidize, it doesn't turn red. The two other pictures from other owners don't exhibit the same issue, so it makes sense that is just material transfer from his old iron brake rotors.

Quick Reply: Girodisc floating rotors - testing results on page 5