S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Harness Mounting question

Old 03-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Harness Mounting question

I've learned a heck of a lot on properly mounting harnesses as I've read lots of posts from various forums trying to put all the info together.

My questions mainly comes about in regards to the shoulder harnesses. Everything I read says harnesses need to be mounted at horizontal or no more than 10-15 degrees below. Much lower and you risk the harnesses pulling down and compressing your spine in an accident, and higher than horizontal and they might lift up and not keep you as secure as they should.

My problem is that I'm probably on the larger side of most s2000 owners. 6' tall, 220lbs, 36 waist. Finding a proper seat doesn't come as easy. I'm on S2000 #3 and my seat of choice has always been the Recaro Pole Position. Fits in the S2000 perfectly and I find it pretty darn comfortable. The lower driving position is a huge perk. Everyone knows one of the biggest problems with the seat is the harness holes are on the low side. They look to be about 1.5" too low for me. Thankfully I don't have a super long torso or it would be much worse.

On top of that the car sees more street time than anything else so this is not some stripped out race car or dedicated track car. Car will see mostly autocross but the goal is to do 1 or 2 HPDE events a year.

What is my risk if I keep the Pole Position and say run the harnesses at a slight positive angle respective to the seat? I'm talking 3-5 degrees. Might allow for a slight bit of lifting but due to the low harness holes that would normally pull down on my shoulders keep me OK? I realize this is pretty much the wrong way to go around it but I ask none the less. I'm looking at other options for better seats but I'm not pulling the trigger without sitting in something first and taking enough measurements to know it'll fit in the S2000.

Or am I better off just slapping in a rollbar, putting a pair of buckets in and just using OEM seat belts?
Old 03-01-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

do you have a roll bar?

seems like you dont
Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Not right now but the car will shortly. It will have a hard dog.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had my pole position harness holes opened up and reupholstered the seat. As far as reading different posts on how to mount your harness, you should just read Schroths reccomendations.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM

I've read enough literature on the subject to know what I really should and shouldn't do. I'm just asking if my idea is going to make things better or even worse.

and I pm'd ya^
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM

well once you get the roll bar in then you can contemplate the harness. even then you have to either have a high harness bar or get bulkhead replacement as that will block the harness. there are more seat options for you. my new favorite is a cobra suzuka.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 AM

I won't fit in a regular size Suzuka and I don't think the wide version will fit in the s2000.

I'm also aware of how the factory bulkhead gets in the way of the lowered harness bar. Bulkhead replacement will be purchased as well.

And I'm not going out on track anytime soon. I'm more in the planning stage than anything else.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:49 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I've read enough literature on the subject to know what I really should and shouldn't do. I'm just asking if my idea is going to make things better or even worse.

and I pm'd ya^
I texted you. I was just referring to your first sentence. I found the Schroth instruction PDF really helpful, specific and reliable (seeing how they are FIA approved and both Schroth and FIA do so much testing and have so much data to pull from).
Old 03-02-2013, 05:59 AM

This picture shows you kind of what I'm looking at. Even happens to be the same seat.

The harness bar is basically at the correct level for my shoulders but the harness holes in the seat are not so when strapped in the harnesses are going to again the top of the harness guide not the bottom. That picture is even more extreme than what I'd be thinking. Imagine that same pic but with that harness bar an inch or two lower to the point where it's almost horizontal with the harness holes in the seat but just slightly above.

How does that affect their operation? I don't see how they can compress me when they are mounted higher or they'll have a much harder time doing it. Just trying to think outside the box a little.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM

If its higher I think your ok but if its lower that's not good

But I figure this

If you get into a frontal accident your body will slide forward and since the belt holes are lower your body will compress

Quick Reply: Harness Mounting question