S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Help Me Decide on a NASA TT Car: S2000, LSx RX

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I've owned and tracked both an LS1 FD and an S2000. The FD is faster and easier to drive at the limit. Very neutral, very grippy and very predictable. You'll have to go through most of the bushings and mounts on the FD, where as you could probably do nearly no prep, just get in and drive the S2000. LS1 FD's can be just as reliable as an S2000, but thats entirely on you and how well you build and prep the car. If you had electrical problems before you'll have them again if you don't step it up and use higher quality components and make better connections.

The S2000 will be a little slower, a lot cheaper to build and race, and less work to prep and maintain. Motor swapped cars don't class well with the club I race with, or else I'd probably have a track prepped LS1 FD. I have real competition in my current class with the S2000 and thats what really makes racing fun.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in Norcal TTB last year, very competitive if you mod it right.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patinum and I both run TTC on the east coast. The S2000 does very well in "C" with limited modifications. I think we both enjoy the class because of the competition and comradery. It sounds to me like you'll miss the power of the LSX FD... I think a Corvette is your winner. Easily made competitive in multiple TT classes and plenty of power to keep you entertained on the straights.

-Aaron
Old 08-19-2010, 03:31 PM

If you care about straight line speed, S2K is not for you.

I'd say C5 Z06 is your best bet of the 3 choices. The Rx-7 conversion is fraught with perils. I'm not saying there isn't someone out there with one that runs well, but the C5 Z06 is a nice package out of the box that doesn't need a lot of work to be competitive. As others have said, the Corvette will eat you out of house and home for tires and other consumables, but that's the price of admission.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

FD RX7 with LSx is one of teh coolest -most fun cars ive driven. Great chassis, lots of torque, and is a FAST car. So it gets my vote.

***********Invest in a proper baffle for your LS oil pan. Trust me, I know from experience.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I can't comment on which platform would actually be the most competitive, but for outright speed, I'd guess either the C5 Z06 or the LSx FD.

With the C5, all the issues are known and you can stuff a LOT of rubber under the fenders. It should be relatively easy to make a build based on others' past experience.

I think the FD might be a more nimble chassis and I think swapping in the LSx just got easier since GM sells crate engines with ECUs to be emissions compliant:
http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/ar...ct-v8-rx-7.aspx

I think you can put almost as much rubber on the FD as the Vette, which are both more than the S2k. Well, I know some of the auto-x guys have put up to 295 on the S2k, but that takes a LOT of work. The Vette should rock 315/335 or so with no problems. I'd guess the FD is in between as far as tire width.

I think the C5 takes less upfront work, but I think I'd prefer to drive a LSx FD.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/user/hotlapky...10/Hvvvdulf2kQ
Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Aug 18 2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a C5 Z06 would suit you just fine.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 AM

All the cars are good cars, and all have their pluses and minuses.

S2k - Great handling, great brakes - Engine and tranny are so so. (k rpm is cool, but mis-shift over-revs are not. Only car I've ever done that on. If only it had 100 more hp and 100ftlb of torque... - and I did the whole turbo and supercharger thing and that's just not reliable for me. YRMV

C5Z06 - I had a c6 so I've got more history than most on this - Fast on the track, plentiful parts, expensive on brakes, engines are only about two seasons without an accusump and oil cooler. Big and a bit heavy, but lots of track fun. No so much on the street. Clunky shifter, loud interior. ok ride. Great Sounds. Can be a very fast track car.

FD RX7 - I own this car now. Not quite as good of handling as the s2k, but pretty good. So so brakes - but can be upgraded. Old car. Gettting parts can be a problem and I suspect will get worse as time goes on. Not a lot were made and haven't been for quite a while now. Really, really fast and fun though. Good looks. As light as the s2k with lots more power.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by blackey,Aug 25 2010, 05:37 AM
All the cars are good cars, and all have their pluses and minuses.

S2k - Great handling, great brakes - Engine and tranny are so so. (k rpm is cool, but mis-shift over-revs are not. Only car I've ever done that on. If only it had 100 more hp and 100ftlb of torque... - and I did the whole turbo and supercharger thing and that's just not reliable for me. YRMV

C5Z06 - I had a c6 so I've got more history than most on this - Fast on the track, plentiful parts, expensive on brakes, engines are only about two seasons without an accusump and oil cooler. Big and a bit heavy, but lots of track fun. No so much on the street. Clunky shifter, loud interior. ok ride. Great Sounds. Can be a very fast track car.

FD RX7 - I own this car now. Not quite as good of handling as the s2k, but pretty good. So so brakes - but can be upgraded. Old car. Gettting parts can be a problem and I suspect will get worse as time goes on. Not a lot were made and haven't been for quite a while now. Really, really fast and fun though. Good looks. As light as the s2k with lots more power.
I was under the impression that your RX-7 had an LSx conversion done to it. No?

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide on a NASA TT Car: S2000, LSx RX