S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Helper spring above or below main spring?

Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Helper spring above or below main spring?

I've been thinking about a suspension issue regarding height and stumbled upon a weird question

I have the eibach r2 and when shipped to me all the helper springs were installed above the main spring so it touches the top hat. I didn't realize it until today that it might be wrong and the reason why I get spring creek and pop under full droop and compression. Ian going to assume that the spring is slightly rubbing against the shock body and popping

Should it be installed helper spring on bottom

My issue right now is that my front right has to be lowered almost 3/4 of a inch more than my front left to achieve the same ride height without driver
I did send that shock out to get rebuilt because it was leaking at the remote resivor seal.

Shocks are less than 1 year old with 1 track day on them and under 700 miles

Suggestions?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I've seen keeper springs in both positions and I don't think it matters as far as function (there might be a very slight savings in unsprung weight by putting the lighter keeper springs on bottom) but the stock top hats are made for large, round coils so your keeper springs may not fit the top hats well. The perch adjusters on my KW V3s are flat so they fit the flat keeper springs perfectly.

My old Bilsteins:

Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 AM

Thanks rob

The ribachs come with hats
Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I too have the R2's. I'll have to look, I installed them the way they came so I'm not sure which side of the spring they are on.

Also what is your spring rates? 3/4 of an inch seems high to correct for driver. My rates are 900lbs and the car barely moves when I get in it.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Function is same but it is better to have it below where shock body keeps it centered. Stock top hat is flat but depending on ID/OD of spring you may need piece to keep it centered and from moving around.
On my shocks I have plastic insert that fits ID of spring and OD of hat. Springs create bending forces and want to bow.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:59 PM

Not even with driver I have to compensate 3/4 inch. I think I'll swap them later when I do a suspension overhaul. Current lazy to remove it
Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM
TWF

3/4 sounds something is wrong there or you have to much preload on that side.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My R2's came with the helpers on the bottom, but I know others were sent with the helpers on top. There was an issue with the adapter collars (in between the helper and main spring) wearing on the shock body. Daryl at Evasive didn't like Eibach's O.E. helper set up, and had a custom Swift setup made with a much higher block height, give him a call maybe.

My R2's versus my SRC, and R2's installed:

The SRC has the helpers on top...
I installed 6" springs on my R2's, and I think they're really too short, I'm switchiing to 7's.
O.P., No harm in switching yours to the bottom just to see how it does.

Dylan
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM
TWF

I made my own adapters between springs out of plastic for that reason. You can see how tall they are between 1st and 2nd coil.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Mine are currently on the top but would rather have them put on the bottom. The shock builder left them on the top even though I asked him to place them on the bottom last off season. This time he better do what I ask!

Quick Reply: Helper spring above or below main spring?