S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Importance of Rake in setting suspension heights

Old 07-20-2018, 04:32 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dumb question....from where are we all measuring to get rake measurements, and how to achieve zero, is this relative to stock ride heights? Alignment bolts, pinch weld, hub to fender?
Old 07-20-2018, 02:03 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Experiment. Too many variables to give a one size fits all answer. Generally a negative rake (rear lower) is going to have a bit more stability under high speed hard braking, but brake bias plays a part too ie pad selection and tire stagger. But for the sake of example, if the car feels a bit unsettle like the rear is squirming around on you a bit under hard braking, try lowering the rear. If the car just doesn't turn in as crisp and responsive as you would like without losing traction, lower the front to further weight it while lightening the rear. Generally you can influence under/over steer in other ways through driving style with throttle inputs and speed of the corner/down force available, sway bar weight etc, so generally a level S2k is a good place to start.
I upgraded the front brakes to the SBG Wilwood kit with URGE rear rotors and am using Raybestos ST43 front and rear. That shifted the brake bias to the rear by about 5% and now there is some instability from 100+ mph when I first apply the brakes hard, but it's not severe. Not sure how much is due to the new brakes vs. the fact that I can consistently brake harder throughout a session vs. the OEM rotors. I suppose that by itself would suggest I could go lower in the rear. But as I said above, the front does push a bit on higher speed corner exits and I think I'd rather optimize for that.

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Rake effects two factors: suspension geometry and aerodynamics. There is nothing magic. Unless significantly raising or lowering the CG it shouldn't affect weight transfer. If lowering causes the car to bottom, that is a different issue. The anti-roll bars may need to be reset to remove preload, bumpsteer may be affected, and alignment in general. All things that should be set intentionally and not coincidentally and need to be reset to a baseline condition. Part of the geometry changed can be to put the car in a different part of its camber change curve.
It's a MY00 and I found that the 11k/11k SBG Ohlins setup tamed the rear bump steer issue. I'm guessing there is less suspension movement now hence less toe change. I have an AP2 subframe in my basement but don't think I'm going to bother to install it.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Raising the center of gravity does effect weight transfer though. How many MM to perceive a handling change is debatable. You can see the rake adjustment reflected on a corner balance scale. We all know ride height effects wheel alignment/toe/camber change, so its assumed those are re calibrated with the rake/height change as a control measure for testing. I have gone back and forth over the years running an added 80lb up front with a supercharger or just NA, and I would generally go back and forth between a negative rake to help compensate for the added weight up front or normal/even ride height when running NA.
I'm tempted to try a negative rake, but if I go any lower I'll need to roll the rear fenders. Heights are currently F 340 mm, R 341.5 mm.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Dumb question....from where are we all measuring to get rake measurements, and how to achieve zero, is this relative to stock ride heights? Alignment bolts, pinch weld, hub to fender?
Ride height is typically the distance between the center of the hub to the edge of the fender. That way the size of the wheels and tires has no effect. In practice, I measure from the outer edge of the wheel lip to the fender as it's easier to be precise and add to it half the wheel diameter measured lip to lip.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
But as I said above, the front does push a bit on higher speed corner exits and I think I'd rather optimize for that.
As has been mentioned, there are a bunch of factors in play. My car does this too, but I can usually add more throttle or get back on earlier to come back to being neutral or oversteer (if I need it). Trying to find real consistency to compare small changes is incredibly difficult, as I'm sure you know

Also, since you mentioned numbers, I am 324mm / 318mm.
Penske DAs with 850lb / 600lb springs
Karcepts STR bars, one step off full hard up front, change the rear depending but I usually use the softest 3 pairs holes and this is all I really mess with at the track if I want the car to rotate more or less easily.
17x9 +45 w/ 255/40 square
DTC-60 stock rotors / HP+ Urge rotors rear
No aero

I have no idea where you live, but you're welcome to drive the car if we end up at the same event. Always good to compare notes.

Last edited by Chibo; 07-20-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 346 Likes on 322 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm tempted to try a negative rake, but if I go any lower I'll need to roll the rear fenders. Heights are currently F 340 mm, R 341.5 mm.

so..

Could raise the front 1.5mm then, would be less intrusive on geometery,toe out a little more and that would not be much with 1.5mm change, would not notice camber/ caster&Roll center would get closer to oem also & that's a good thang

Last edited by noodels; 07-20-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Ride height is typically the distance between the center of the hub to the edge of the fender. That way the size of the wheels and tires has no effect. In practice, I measure from the outer edge of the wheel lip to the fender as it's easier to be precise and add to it half the wheel diameter measured lip to lip.
You can measure the bottom of the car as well. The "frame rail" that runs along the car that sits inward of the jack points/seam. For someone like myself who is now running aftermarket/wide fenders, this is the only real accurate way.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-20-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve been meaning to try less rake. I may do so for my next autocross, but won’t have time for another alignment. What happens to alignment in the front if I raise it? Increase positive camber, but what else?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:36 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by md6380
I’ve been meaning to try less rake. I may do so for my next autocross, but won’t have time for another alignment. What happens to alignment in the front if I raise it? Increase positive camber, but what else?
Camber actually wont change that much in the front, not as much as the rear given the same ride height change. But you will get toe 'in' (front of tires closer together)
Old 07-21-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 346 Likes on 322 Posts

^^ All depends on the angle of the rod and rack ie: pointing down <rack higher than rod ends>= toe in & pointing up = toe out with raising ride height.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by noodels
^^ All depends on the angle of the rod and rack ie: pointing down <rack higher than rod ends>= toe in & pointing up = toe out with raising ride height.
Correct. I'm assuming the rack tie rods are at typical parallel at his current lowered ride height at rest, which when raising the rack/ride height above the tie ends, will cause toe in. If at his current ride height if the tie ends are higher then the rack, the front will toe out if raises ride height and putting them to parallel. OP will just have to look and see where he is currently at.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-21-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Importance of Rake in setting suspension heights