S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Interest needed for four/six point Roll Cage

Old 05-22-2002, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest needed for four/six point Roll Cage

My fabricator is going to start building a four/six point roll cage pretty soon. The style will be along the lines of a mugen cage replacing the stock hoops and having two points through the dashboard. We're planning on running an additional two points to the rear shocktowers. All material will be 1.5" 4130 Chromoly. Not sure about the thickness of the tubbing yet, but it will be significantly lighter than mild steel. Anyways, the plan is for no cutting of the dash and some sort of removable joints will be made to remove the rear bars connecting to the shocktowers and possibly removable joints for the front two points connecting through the dash. This would leave just the hoop section of the bar for street use and then a quick assembly of the front and rear points for track use. Keep in mind these joints are just as strong as welds so the issue of weakness would be no issue. Right now, the plan is for the cage to be removable if warrenty issues should arise, so it's not permanent unless you guys choose to weld in the plates. Anyways, I'm very excited for the fabrication to begin and I'll keep you guys posted on the progress. My fabricator needs to know if there is interest for this style of cage, if there is, he'll be happy to pump them out depending on how many people are interested. He's been fabricating cages 5 years for offroad trophy trucks and has just started cages for road racing applications. He's already finished an E30 M3 cage that meets and exceeds SCCA regulations. I'm sure this cage will be the solution to most owners' problem of roll over saftely and tech certification at track events.

-ardy
Old 05-22-2002, 12:07 PM

i would def be interested in it if it is designed the way you describe it. I am actually very fond of the mugen bar but remember reading somewhere that because of the thickness of the door panels, they had to be removed in order to run the cage which makes it to totally NOT streetable. Have you taken a look at this issue?

Keep me updated on what you come up with, im just a lil north of you and would luv to see what your guy designs. thanks
Old 05-22-2002, 02:23 PM

You lost me on the dash part.

Pictures, worth a thousand words. Then its yay or nay. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by BBSpoon
You lost me on the dash part.

Pictures, worth a thousand words. Then its yay or nay. Thanks.
imagine the space between the dashboard and the A-pillar, then imagine a bar going through that space rather than cutting a hole into the dashboard. removable of the trim piece of the A-pillar is required.
Old 05-22-2002, 08:33 PM

Maybe a simple sketch is in order
Old 05-22-2002, 09:56 PM

hehe, hang tight guys, pics will follow after the cage is made which will be within the next few weeks.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:54 AM

Any update on the roll cage project? Enquiring minds want to know (or see). Thanks.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:33 AM

FlakeyPete, my friend has ordered the bender from florida and they were in such high demand that he had to wait for them to make it! Anyways, we're going to try to have the cage ready for the August 2nd track day event at willow springs to test out the rigidity and finish of it. Don't want any squeeks and such. So far, it seems like we'll have it ready by then and I'm sure many people will have camera's to take pics.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:01 AM

i need one, but will base it entirely on functionality w/o interupting daily use and looks. keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:12 PM

Update: Cage is almost done, finishing up the welding so it will be ready for the August 2nd Open Track event at willow springs raceway. This cage definatly rocks. Soft top can be raised and lowered with no clearance issues with the cage. I will probably run the whole thing on the street. Due to the clearance of the softtop, there wont be any bars going back to the shocktowers. So this is going to be a 4 point roll cage. There is a possibility of adding the two rear points, but the top has to be closed in order for there to be straight bars going back (needs to be straight for those two bars for strength). If any of you guys are in s. cali, just feel free to PM me or e-mail if you want to check it out.

-ardy

Quick Reply: Interest needed for four/six point Roll Cage