S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Keep tearing rear driver cv boot!

Old 06-29-2015, 06:28 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

My understanding is that replacing the wheel bearings in the rear is very difficult to get correct and that sometimes it is better to find another hub with the original OEM Honda bearing in it versus trying to press in a new one. If you have gone through multiples of them, and you are having a definite heat issue in that area, then that seems like the most likely culprit.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

What year is the car.... Traction Control/ stability control grabbing the rear brakes and making tons of heat?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you been replacing the entire axle/CV or just the boot? I can't tell from your posts. Have you checked that you you have the correct axles on the correct side? I have not compared axle lengths, but since they are different part numbers, I would think that they are different lengths. If too long, would put extra load on the wheel bearing. If too short, CV joint may be coming apart, under certain conditions?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've lost just boots, and lost cv's. I believe loss of the cv is due to loosing the boot, then loosing all the grease from the boot, and then the cv goes with everything else.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by King Tut
My understanding is that replacing the wheel bearings in the rear is very difficult to get correct and that sometimes it is better to find another hub with the original OEM Honda bearing in it versus trying to press in a new one. If you have gone through multiples of them, and you are having a definite heat issue in that area, then that seems like the most likely culprit.
This is very interested, I'd like to learn more about this as it's the first time in hearing it. My buddy who does all the work on my car is a master tech at audi, and actually uses the high end machines at the audi dealership to press them.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Replacing the rear bearings is just the same as it would be on any other car it shouldnt be a problem. Justin buy some heat stickers and or paint and find out where the heat is coming from. You could also buy a laser/IR heat pyrometer. Point it at everything. If the boot is torn open it up and check the temp of the internal CV.

IMO if the heat was coming from the bearing it would be TOAST before it melted the CV boot. And in your case the bearing is fine, hub is fine, brakes are fine
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that DSS uses a different, vented boot and high temp grease for their Road-Race 2.9s.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Suprdave
I know that DSS uses a different, vented boot and high temp grease for their Road-Race 2.9s.
We received the DSS boot yesterday, totally different then oem, much more plyable softer rubber versus hard plastic! Venting is done with a simple wd40 straw, and the grease they use is NEO cv hi temp, which I have a large container of now! ;-) hopping this solves it for me!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
Replacing the rear bearings is just the same as it would be on any other car it shouldnt be a problem. Justin buy some heat stickers and or paint and find out where the heat is coming from. You could also buy a laser/IR heat pyrometer. Point it at everything. If the boot is torn open it up and check the temp of the internal CV.

IMO if the heat was coming from the bearing it would be TOAST before it melted the CV boot. And in your case the bearing is fine, hub is fine, brakes are fine
Also received a large jar of heat paint!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I look forward to hearing if this fixes the issue.

Quick Reply: Keep tearing rear driver cv boot!