S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

KW V3 setting with R-Compound tires

Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by #172CR
I just came across this thread and am eager to try bills suggested settings for my KW's. The rebound(top) from my understanding, to have it at full stiff is looking down on it from above and going clockwise until stiff correct?

And compression at the bottom, is full stiff clockwise or counterclockwise when looking at it from the top like the rebound?
Correct, when looking from the top, Rebound: Stiffer = clockwise. Do not set them at full stiff, always be at least 1 click off full stiff.

For Compression: Look at the "window" where the adjuster is. Stick the tool on the left side of the 'window' and "sweep" the adjuster to the right. That is stiffer. (If you look at from the top like Rebound, Compression is stiffer = COUNTERclockwise.) I don't like to view it this way because it confuses me. Just go from left to right in the 1/4 turn "window" of the adjuster.

Billy
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Billy, Okay that makes sense, and up until this point I'd had the compression incorrect. Thanks again.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

My setup...

Rebound;

Front...3 clicks from full stiff
Rear...13 clicks from full stiff

Compression was set at (2) 1/4 turns from full stiff all around.

Non staggered 17x9 rpf1's with 245/40(toyo R1R's) tires all around.

I started off with the same setup as my friend had but noticed the car exhibited oversteer through every corner. So I started tuning the suspension and found the setup I posted above as the neutral setup with a hint of understeer.

The KW V3's were clearly designed and tuned with a staggered setup in mind but from some online research Hyperco makes replacement springs that would benefit better for the non staggered setup.

Alignment for both vehicles were the same...

6.4-6.5 caster

-2.5 camber front
-3.0 camber rear

0 toe all around.
You're having to compensate for your 0 rear toe with a super soft rear end. You shouldn't have to run the front and rear shocks at such different settings. Go back to stock rear toe and you'll be able to firm up your rear shocks and the car will be much more balanced and natural. You should be running about 1 turn of compression in the rear.

he KW V3's were clearly designed and tuned with a staggered setup in mind but from some online research Hyperco makes replacement springs that would benefit better for the non staggered setup.
Nope, your rear toe-in is the issue. Fix that and you'll find the KW V3s work equally well for staggered and non-staggered setups with most cars.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread!

My settings are:

Rebound 2/6

Compression 1 all around

9", 255 non-staggered, stock sway bars, Swift 12/10 springs.

I am thinking of dropping my rear rebound to 5, maybe 4. But I'm not too sure...I'm running WSIR this Sunday and don't really want to experiment too much there.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
My setup...

Rebound;

Front...3 clicks from full stiff
Rear...13 clicks from full stiff

Compression was set at (2) 1/4 turns from full stiff all around.

Non staggered 17x9 rpf1's with 245/40(toyo R1R's) tires all around.

I started off with the same setup as my friend had but noticed the car exhibited oversteer through every corner. So I started tuning the suspension and found the setup I posted above as the neutral setup with a hint of understeer.

The KW V3's were clearly designed and tuned with a staggered setup in mind but from some online research Hyperco makes replacement springs that would benefit better for the non staggered setup.

Alignment for both vehicles were the same...

6.4-6.5 caster

-2.5 camber front
-3.0 camber rear

0 toe all around.
You're having to compensate for your 0 rear toe with a super soft rear end. You shouldn't have to run the front and rear shocks at such different settings. Go back to stock rear toe and you'll be able to firm up your rear shocks and the car will be much more balanced and natural. You should be running about 1 turn of compression in the rear.

he KW V3's were clearly designed and tuned with a staggered setup in mind but from some online research Hyperco makes replacement springs that would benefit better for the non staggered setup.
Nope, your rear toe-in is the issue. Fix that and you'll find the KW V3s work equally well for staggered and non-staggered setups with most cars.
Understandable...I am running stock to a touch above stock toe-in in the rear and 0 toe in the front(toe-in in the rear is a big factor). Among a few other things like a bigger front swaybar and going back to non-staggered setup(235/265). The car is perfectly neutral in slow to mid speed corners but under steers in the high speed corners.

Current setup:

Compression is set at 2 (1/4 turns from full stiff) all around.

Rebound is set at 5 clicks from full stiff all around.

Caster: 6.5
Front Camber: -1.7 degrees
Rear Camber: -2.5 degrees

front toe: 0
rear toe: Stock

Next setup is going to be 235/255 RE 11's w/

Castor: 6.4-6.5
Front Camber: -2 degrees
Rear camber: -3 degrees

Front toe: 0
Rear toe: stock

I need more camber since the last trackday after careful evaluation of my tire wear.

Gonna keep the rebound and compression adjustments the same and see what the car does.

Wish me luck...
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stiffer on the compression is clockwise
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk
Understandable...I am running stock to a touch above stock toe-in in the rear and 0 toe in the front(toe-in in the rear is a big factor). Among a few other things like a bigger front swaybar and going back to non-staggered setup(235/265). The car is perfectly neutral in slow to mid speed corners but under steers in the high speed corners.

Current setup:

I need more camber since the last trackday after careful evaluation of my tire wear.

Gonna keep the rebound and compression adjustments the same and see what the car does.

Wish me luck...
***Make sure you (everyone) know which direction full stiff is, otherwise the KW V3 will be far too soft if you have this backwards.

Rubin1out4goodluk - Try 0.5 turns from full stiff (two 1/4 turn 'sweeps'). I'm sure this will be a night and day improvement for your car. Then try your rebound at 3-4 from full stiff front and 5-6 from full stiff rear.

billy
Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billj747
Originally Posted by Rubn1out4GudLuk' timestamp='1307729100' post='20669940

Current setup:

Wish me luck...
***Make sure you (everyone) know which direction full stiff is, otherwise the KW V3 will be far too soft if you have this backwards.

Rubin1out4goodluk - Try 0.5 turns from full stiff (two 1/4 turn 'sweeps'). I'm sure this will be a night and day improvement for your car. Then try your rebound at 3-4 from full stiff front and 5-6 from full stiff rear.

billy
Thanks Billy,

I have the compression exactly where you mentioned it (0.5 turns or 2-1/4 sweeps from full stiff).
The rebound is 5 from full stiff all around...I will try your setup if mine doesn't work out.

I do have that 32mm Cusco front swaybar so I need to keep even compression/rebound all around to eliminate the understeer. So far its really neutral except for high speed corners but I'll give it another go(I might be going in too hot to exhibit the understeer)
Old 06-11-2011, 04:16 AM

Softening front compression (turning the adjuster from right to left) or rebound (counter-clockwise) will help reduce understeer.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billj747
I DO NOT like running the 'recommended settings' EVER, on street tires on the street or any other application.

Do a search, I have made tons of posts about ballpark setups and went into more detail.

For simple reference (even for your street tires) set them at ~

Compression F&R: 1-2 sweeps (from full stiff)
Rebound Front: 3-5 clicks (from full stiff)
Rebound Rear: 5-7 clicks (from full stiff)

I'm confident you will like the ride quality and handling much better.

YES...

My car feels much better... thank you