S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Layering fire-retardant clothing with flammable?

Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Layering fire-retardant clothing with flammable?

I sincerely hope there is a straight-forward answer to this question, but fear this will open a can of worms.

I have a two-layer fire suit, fire retardant underwear, and a standard (not Nomex) Cool Shirt. The question is is how to layer them.

Scenario 1: Sandwich the cool shirt with Nomex underwear against my skin. It will not cool as well, but in the event I actually need the fire protection, I will have an additional layer between me and the plastic tubes. Adversity, the tubes are one layer closer to the fire.

Scenario 2: Cool shirt against my skin for optimal cooling. The underwear outside offers an additional layer to protect the tubes from fire, but means one less layer between me and potentially melted plastic.

I am simply looking for the best practice given the materials on hand. Buying a Nomex Cool Shirt is not in the cards. Three layers should be plenty if layered correctly.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

This opinion is totally unqualified, but just thinking about this with my own logic..... My opinion would be keep the plastic and the water away from the heat as much as possible under as much FR gear as possible. If the heat beneath your FR protective clothing is such that it is going to melt the plastic and boil the water right next to your skin, it is likely going to be burning your skin anyway.....
Old 08-10-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'd go with #2. Keep as much of the fire retarded stuff on the outer layers as possible...buys you more time in the end.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks. That would have been my plan, but the salesperson that sold me the suit told me a lot of customers sandwich the layers. That seemed rather odd to me, so I threw it out to see if there was a standard rule on how to layer them. (I didn't want to influence comments with the salesperson's input.)

I'm fairly sure Nomex will not block melted plastic. (It sure as hell doesn't stop scalding hot pork grease from soaking through an ove-glove.) Therefore, my objective will be to buy as much time as possible before the plastic melts. Unless someone comes forward with a sound reason to sandwich layers, I'll be wearing the cool shirt against my skin and protect it with as many FR materials as I have.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by will010100
Thanks. That would have been my plan, but the salesperson that sold me the suit told me a lot of customers sandwich the layers. That seemed rather odd to me, so I threw it out to see if there was a standard rule on how to layer them. (I didn't want to influence comments with the salesperson's input.)

I'm fairly sure Nomex will not block melted plastic. (It sure as hell doesn't stop scalding hot pork grease from soaking through an ove-glove.) Therefore, my objective will be to buy as much time as possible before the plastic melts. Unless someone comes forward with a sound reason to sandwich layers, I'll be wearing the cool shirt against my skin and protect it with as many FR materials as I have.

Thanks for your input.
You might consider wearing a cotton undershirt under the coolshirt it the thought still bothers you.