S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Lifting Throttle to Rotate the S2K

Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting Throttle to Rotate the S2K

Having spent 25+ years in FWD cars, I'm still learning to drive the S2K on the track. With FWD, it took some serious throttle lifting to get the car to rotate in the turns. I realize that heavy throttle lifting in the S will send me off the track. But what about a slight lifting of throttle? Is that an accepted or recommended technique to rotate a RWD car in a turn, or is the textbook technique to give the car more gas and use counter-steer to drift through the turn's exit? BTW, I don't have that move down just yet. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely! You do what works. Giving it gas will tend to lighten the front and cause push. A little lift works wonders when you need it. Ideally you shouldn't be lifting once you get on the throttle but it's not an ideal world.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

more information on this would be helpful for me as well.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM

RSX,

Yes, I definitely use that technique in some corners. Most often, on turn-in a little lift will both rotate the car and weight the front end to give it some extra grip.

The heavy throttle lift ... send you off the track thing in my opinion doesn't happen in the situation you describe..that is to say when you are actually conciously thinking about weight transfer and vehicle control.

When people send themselves off the road with lift-off is when they do something that scares them and their first reaction is to lift (been there, done that, learned).
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 PM

Sure, a lift, if done right, will rotate the rear end just fine. It's not for the novice or the faint-of-heart, since a little too much lift will induce a little (or a lot) too much rotation, but it's certainly an accepted way to go.

But, depending on your skills and the situation, learning to throttle steer will get you around faster, since a lift will slow the car.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And when lifting doesn't help point the car in the right direction, a little left foot stab of the brake (especially on turn in) will get you pointed in the right direction and your right foot can still be planted on the gas.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Oct 25 2006, 12:42 AM
since a lift will slow the car.
That it will but so will drifting 4ft wide of the apex because you came in a bit hot.

Lifting to turn in is quite useful on variable radius turns, especially reducing radius where it's basically the only way to get around. It works on some corners as a matter of fact, some to correct mistakes like carrying too much speed or turning in a bit early, in competition where you may not be on an ideal "racing line" for tactical reasons (defending against a pass to the inside) and a host of other things. It's a tool in your toolbox.

I agree, we aren't talking about lifting in a panic: http://www.outbraking.com/files/MosportTurn2Spin.wmv To be entirely fair that corner makes grown men cry.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 24 2006, 10:00 PM
It's a tool in your toolbox.
Agreed, which is why I said, "Depending on ... the situation...."
Old 10-24-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cthree,Oct 24 2006, 10:00 PM
I agree, we aren't talking about lifting in a panic: http://www.outbraking.com/files/MosportTurn2Spin.wmv To be entirely fair that corner makes grown men cry.
Makes me wanna cry .
Old 10-24-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I lift to steer except maybe to correct an error, like running out of track exit. It's faster to use trail braking on corner entry, and after that you should be on throttle and not lift. Maybe it's useful in a compound corner (multiple apexes (apices??)) of different radii (can't think of any off-hand though; maybe uneven esses)?

Quick Reply: Lifting Throttle to Rotate the S2K