S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for an entry level race car

Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an entry level race car

Hello, 1st post here. I'm looking for a hobby to kill some time and as a retired fighter pilot I always enjoyed activities where I was going fast. As far as cars go I'm a beginner. I've owned some fast cars and have a few laps at the Nordschleife but never did anything stateside or formal. I've also got many track days on a motorcycle under my belt as well as Keith Code's superbike school. I've got a Harley but haven't owned a sport bike in nearly a decade. I considered just buying a new liter class bike and starting that hobby back up but in my upper 40s parts don't heal the way they used to, and time off work due to too much exuberance at the track is something I'd prefer to avoid. Basically I'm a car beginner but not completely new to the track scene. The car I think I want is the S2000 and was hoping for some advice on what I should be looking for in a used car, perhaps specific model years or options that will make the transition to race car less expensive, and for that matter what type of racing I should be doing. Thanks for your time.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Not exactly what you're looking for, but if you decide to go back to tracking bikes I would ignore the liter class sportbikes and try test riding a supernaked like the Tuono 1100, 1290 Superduke, or S1000R. They are stupid comfortable, stupid fast, handle very close to the super sport they are based on, have ABS / TC, and will out lap most people on built bikes WHILE being safer (less reliant on making time in the corners). Sportbikes make precisely zero sense unless you're looking for street cred from non-riders or specifically want to race the meatgrinder classes.

Just my advice.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

S2K from factory will be fine especially since you're a newbie to car track days.

Do brakes and engine oil/filter and then proceed to beat on it.

If you'd like to go cheaper...Miata or FWD based econo shitbox. It doesn't matter just get out there and have fun.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
S2K from factory will be fine especially since you're a newbie to car track days.

Do brakes and engine oil/filter and then proceed to beat on it.

If you'd like to go cheaper...Miata or FWD based econo shitbox. It doesn't matter just get out there and have fun.
Thanks. I read the FAQs at the top, but assuming it's something I get into I'd like to buy just 1 S2000 instead of getting a beginner car and then getting a more advanced one later because I bought the wrong one in the 1st place. Are there better years to get/avoid? Options packages I should look for? Telltale signs of a used car I need to avoid, or where I'd have to make expensive modifications to make the car legal in a stock class?

I also considered the Miata but I've never been tempted to actually own one. I almost bought an S2000 back in '98 or '99 when they 1st came out but the dealer was asking like $5k over sticker. I stormed out and never considered the car again .
Old 05-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by msdunkel
Thanks. I read the FAQs at the top, but assuming it's something I get into I'd like to buy just 1 S2000 instead of getting a beginner car and then getting a more advanced one later because I bought the wrong one in the 1st place. Are there better years to get/avoid? Options packages I should look for? Telltale signs of a used car I need to avoid, or where I'd have to make expensive modifications to make the car legal in a stock class?

I also considered the Miata but I've never been tempted to actually own one. I almost bought an S2000 back in '98 or '99 when they 1st came out but the dealer was asking like $5k over sticker. I stormed out and never considered the car again .
What exactly are you trying to run? AutoX? HPDE's? Wheel to wheel?

Regardless if you're going to be using it as a race car of any sort, there really isn't any point in finding one that is in perfect condition. Go find the cleanest one you can for the money you want to spend. If you're getting into actual track days, you will need a roll bar so it wouldn't be a bad idea to find one that already has that done.

Other than that you will want to change your setup to suite yourself and check everything yourself anyway so there's nothing in particular that you need.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

What area of the country (or what country?) are you in? What organizations you have available to run with should and will have a large impact on what is a suitable car and prep level.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

My question is always "Do you want an S2000 or a race car?" They are not the same.

You can go very fast in an OEM S2000 with just good tires and maybe an alignment. Any of them. For "track days" and low level autocross this is usually sufficient. If you run autocross or always run the same track an adjustable suspension will be of benefit and if you know how to tune it. Race cars seem to be a lifestyle, not a weekend hobby. Winners are seldom by chance.

I'd start small. Maybe in autocross and track events that don't require buggering the car with a roll bar (some tracks allow the S2000 without one for some events). Even the 1st and 2d Losers will outspend you. Once you get into sanctioned racing there are rules regarding how stock you have to be so buying a "prepped" car may only be good for certain events. And that "prepped" car has just been discarded by its former owner perhaps because it was not competitive..

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-09-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

For sport bikes, the 300cc class is where it's at.

The S2000 is a 4 wheeled Honda motorcycle with a steering wheel. Will this car see street duty or strictly track?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

street legal track car for sale - not built to any specific racing series rule book. i expect this to sell pretty fast.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by HawkeyeGeoff
What exactly are you trying to run? AutoX? HPDE's? Wheel to wheel?

Regardless if you're going to be using it as a race car of any sort, there really isn't any point in finding one that is in perfect condition. Go find the cleanest one you can for the money you want to spend. If you're getting into actual track days, you will need a roll bar so it wouldn't be a bad idea to find one that already has that done.

Other than that you will want to change your setup to suite yourself and check everything yourself anyway so there's nothing in particular that you need.
I haven't seen what's available but probably start with track days and/or autocross. Simple to see if I like it enough to keep sinking in the cash!

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
What area of the country (or what country?) are you in? What organizations you have available to run with should and will have a large impact on what is a suitable car and prep level.
I'm a transplant living just south of Atlanta, so I assume Road Atlanta would be my primary track but Barber Motorsports is under 3 hours away. Not sure what other venues I'd be interested in.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My question is always "Do you want an S2000 or a race car?" They are not the same.

You can go very fast in an OEM S2000 with just good tires and maybe an alignment. Any of them. For "track days" and low level autocross this is usually sufficient. If you run autocross or always run the same track an adjustable suspension will be of benefit and if you know how to tune it. Race cars seem to be a lifestyle, not a weekend hobby. Winners are seldom by chance.

I'd start small. Maybe in autocross and track events that don't require buggering the car with a roll bar (some tracks allow the S2000 without one for some events). Even the 1st and 2d Losers will outspend you. Once you get into sanctioned racing there are rules regarding how stock you have to be so buying a "prepped" car may only be good for certain events. And that "prepped" car has just been discarded by its former owner perhaps because it was not competitive..

-- Chuck

Originally Posted by freq
For sport bikes, the 300cc class is where it's at.

The S2000 is a 4 wheeled Honda motorcycle with a steering wheel. Will this car see street duty or strictly track?
I've got my HD for open air cruising so the car wouldn't need to be street legal. I've got a 3/4 ton diesel I could use to pull if necessary (no trailer as of now but I assume that would be an incremental cost in the big picture)

Quick Reply: Looking for an entry level race car