S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Looking for a tow vehicle!

Old 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has experienced most of the normal 'problems' that the v8 especially encounters. I put problems in quotes because none of them makes the truck un-drivable and all are relatively easy fixes. Stuck brake caliper (had worse gas mileage and swapped it out), driveshaft thud (275 for a brand new driveshaft just because it was bothering me enough), ticking exhaust header (still dealing with this, goes away after 30 seconds or so).

Things I love about the 4Runner: Roll down rear window (why don't most suvs have this!), power of the v8 is actually great for a big suv, plenty of space to work on the engine actually, comfortable and smooth driving.
Things I'd change: gas mileage, springs are kind of soft (comes with the territory), hard to find low mileage or without rust

And actually the car I almost bought because it was hard to find a v8 4Runner is the GX470. Drove a couple and they were awesome cars as well. Some features I like: physical 4wd lever, leather seats, more creature comforts. And some I didn't: barn door rear, useless but removable third row, premium gas.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I love my Titan, rated to pull north of 9000lbs. Gets crap mileage but makes tons of power and has been super reliable. They can be had for less than 10k all day.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueTeg
I'll add the Nissan Xterra to the list of vehicles that would fit your needs: 4500lb towing capacity, good mpg for daily driving, comfortable to drive, safety features, dog friendly, AWD for your camping and ski adventures, and availability with a manual transmission.
I had one for about three years and it was a great daily driver / race car tow vehicle. My race car is about 2400lbs + 1,600 lbs for the trailer + anywhere from 250-350 lbs of spares (tires, wheels, tools, spare transmission, axles, etc.) and it pulled all over Arizona and So Cal in the summer heat with zero issues. In fact if I had not switched over to an enclose trailer, I probably would have never sold it. The v6 gets great mileage, has plenty of power to pull an open trailer with the weight that you've specified, and has a great reputation for being reliable. For an SUV it drives well and is easy to park due the medium size dimensions and tight turning radius (I've since "upgraded" to a Nissan Titan and I can't say the same for it's agility, LOL). The rear cargo area is plastic and easily washable for the pets. I'd recommend getting a carpet or rug or something for them so they don't slide around. The rear seats fold down to make a flat plane, even with the rear cargo area floor, which gives you a massive amount of storage space for track events or even to sleep in for camping. It's available in AWD and a manual transmission, as well.
Good call! I thought about it for a second but haven't researched the Xterra. Didn't realize tow capacity was 4500lb. I'll put it on the list and see if the wife approves.

My wife's cousin loves them, they currently have a manual trans Pro4X and previously had a 1st gen manual Xterra in the past.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by humbucker87
Mine has experienced most of the normal 'problems' that the v8 especially encounters. I put problems in quotes because none of them makes the truck un-drivable and all are relatively easy fixes. Stuck brake caliper (had worse gas mileage and swapped it out), driveshaft thud (275 for a brand new driveshaft just because it was bothering me enough), ticking exhaust header (still dealing with this, goes away after 30 seconds or so).

Things I love about the 4Runner: Roll down rear window (why don't most suvs have this!), power of the v8 is actually great for a big suv, plenty of space to work on the engine actually, comfortable and smooth driving.
Things I'd change: gas mileage, springs are kind of soft (comes with the territory), hard to find low mileage or without rust

And actually the car I almost bought because it was hard to find a v8 4Runner is the GX470. Drove a couple and they were awesome cars as well. Some features I like: physical 4wd lever, leather seats, more creature comforts. And some I didn't: barn door rear, useless but removable third row, premium gas.
This is great info, thank you!

I brought up the GX470 but my wife decreed, "absolutely no Lexus SUVs"!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7
I love my Titan, rated to pull north of 9000lbs. Gets crap mileage but makes tons of power and has been super reliable. They can be had for less than 10k all day.
Unfortunately I can't do a truck as I'd like to keep the dogs in the passenger compartment.

Thanks for all the input so far, everyone. I spoke to a coworker of mine today and am reconsidering some options regarding trailers. My first thought was to get an open trailer for ease of towing but I'm considering getting a lightweight enclosed. Seems a better option for storage and usability. Anyone tow an enclosed with a 5000lb tow rating vehicle (probably gonna get yelled at for asking that )? I realize I may have to consider something with more capacity, say in the 7000lb range.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeonV
Anyone tow an enclosed with a 5000lb tow rating vehicle (probably gonna get yelled at for asking that )? I realize I may have to consider something with more capacity, say in the 7000lb range.
Could it be done? Probably. Should it be done? No way.
I'm not even sure I'd put an enclosed behind my Diesel Colorado. I'm sure it would do it considering the size of the campers people pull with these trucks, but I prefer a large safety margin.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:58 PM

I noticed today that the Cayenne has a 7700lb rating...
Old 07-05-2017, 10:39 PM

I suppose I should retract my comment about VAG products.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i tow with a ceyenne S. It's a beast and doesn't drive like a 5000 lbs vehicle when your not towing. I will caution you in considering it for 2 reasons:

1. Wheel base. As stout as the truck is, it won't tow an enclosed trailer with the manners and stability that something like a proper long bed truck will do. Wheelbase is very important for pulling those big parachutes (enclosed trailer).

2. It's fussy German at its best. As much as I love this truck it's annoyingly German with stuff like starter motors under the intake manifold and battery under the drivers seat. It's the "anti-Honda" when it's time to wrench on them.

If if you can do an enclosed trailer I think it's a great way to go. I would look at a proper pickup truck and get a king cab for the hounds. SUV has advantages but it also sucks throwing wet gear or a leaky jack into the back of an SUV.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

I suppose I should retract my comment about VAG products.
This guy..... :lol:

Quick Reply: Looking for a tow vehicle!