S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Motortrend Blog - Honda S2000 CR (Club Racer)

Old 03-15-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Mar 15 2007, 08:46 PM
Here's something new BREAKING NEWS EXCLUSIVE TO S2KI from a reliable source:

The CR will be a leaned out model, permanent hardtop, white only, front and rear fascia changes, new wheels and tires, no AC, no stereo, no creature comforts, no power steering. It will be lightened but by how much I don't know. The engine I have no info on. It will be something along the minimalist lines of an Elise.
Sounds great. Serious like the Porsche club racers of old like the RS's.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So...I should just stop the progression of building my 02 into a racecar, and get the CR when it comes out.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9kI4' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:25 PM
So...I should just stop the progression of building my 02 into a racecar, and get the CR when it comes out.
If you're going to race, you don't want to do so in a brand new, spotless car. You have to be willing to trade paint .
Old 03-16-2007, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Keith' date='Mar 15 2007, 01:12 PM
Did you read the SpeedTV article?
No, I thought it would be the same press release that I've read 100 times.

Thanks, though. Sounds nice. If any of it is accurate.

[quote name='"rlaifatt"] If you're going to race' date=' you don't want to do so in a brand new, spotless car. You have to be willing to trade paint wink.gif .[/QUOTE']

Plenty of people (not me, unfortunatly) pay more than 40k to get a racecar and set it up. Doesn't matter if it's new or not. Racers will buy what they can win in. If this new car fits into and is competetive in a SCCA or NASA class, or if Honda decides it wants to sponser a series (S2000 cup, ala MX5 cup), it will sell.

If nothing else, there are plenty of people with more money than sense that will buy one because it's the fastest S2000 that Honda makes.

I expect to see plenty of these available used with low mileage after someone buys it and realizes that there is no way that it will be a decent street car. Just like the Elise.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A used '03 with 20k in mods would most likely outrun this thing with these specs. Just look at the Opera S, if you spend the time to work the chasis like that you don't need to spend huge amount of money to make a redicuously quick car.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Mar 15 2007, 09:46 PM
How is this news? It's been posted on the S2KI front page since Honda issued the press release. There is no new information on it but I will say that the stock photo motortrend used is not accurate, it will only be available in white and will have a non-removable hardtop.

Here's something new BREAKING NEWS EXCLUSIVE TO S2KI from a reliable source:

The CR will be a leaned out model, permanent hardtop, white only, front and rear fascia changes, new wheels and tires, no AC, no stereo, no creature comforts, no power steering. It will be lightened but by how much I don't know. The engine I have no info on. It will be something along the minimalist lines of an Elise.
it's actually gonna have some color options. wheels are five-spoke (not sure who makes them). the car will have some silly creature comforts that make no sense in a track car.

there are cosmetic changes to accessories (spoilers and such) and some interior details/seats will be different.

we live close to US headquarters so there are lots of guys at different levels that have been talking about this for months. but now that it's public it can be discussed.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM

No power steering?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Former Moderator

Don't know. I doubt it though.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by cthree' date='Mar 15 2007, 08:46 PM
... no power steering. It will be lightened but by how much I don't know. ...
This might be an interesting retrofit, especially if it drops a signifigant amount of weight from the front.

Have you ever held the PS rack in your hands? its not light, containing a permanent magnet motor and all.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is some talk of Aluminum body panels and chassis changes to lighten weight. I don't know if that's true or not. Because it will have a permanent hardtop they can shift a lot of the chassis stiffening and get a much lighter car. We'll have to wait a few weeks to find out the details.

Quick Reply: Motortrend Blog - Honda S2000 CR (Club Racer)