S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

newbie questions a stock...

Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sirbunz,Jul 27 2009, 05:28 AM
As long as you belong to the SCCA in general, you can race at any region. $10 bucks will pay your local club (whichever one you want) dues and will allow you to qualify for year end points and some minor perks each club offers. I actually belong to CKRSCCA (www.ckrscca.org) which is the Lexington region, but there are some "personalities" there running everyone off. The best guy to talk to there is Dave Roberts as he is the local S2000 king and very friendly/helpful! They also have small/low grip lots. I plan to switch to KYR (www.kyscca.com) which is the Louisville region (where I live). The Louisville region is much more friendlier and more willing/helpful to instruct new racers. They have much larger lot like PCJS, UPS, Ft. Knox (next year) and possibly two more currently in the works. I have been a driving instructor at both regions so don't hesitate to ask for help when your ready.

Mike Jansen is our local Honda guy. He is located off the Frankfort/Versailles exit. Great guy and willing to help with the mechanical setup, prep, maint of the car.

Winning Formula is the place to go on Louisville for alignment or suspension stuff. They have all my specs for the last 4 years. Scott Bourne @ Ken Towery Auto is the guy to use in Lexington.
yea mike jansen is my cousins best friend. I plan on calling him and see if I can get him to come and do some ride alongs. where all from frankfort. I would like to come to lousville to run autocross because I say their are more people but Its a hours drive, lexington is 30 mins. what does dave drive?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josh7owens,Jul 27 2009, 08:14 AM
yea mike jansen is my cousins best friend. I plan on calling him and see if I can get him to come and do some ride alongs. where all from frankfort. I would like to come to lousville to run autocross because I say their are more people but Its a hours drive, lexington is 30 mins. what does dave drive?
I just towed the S2000 5 hours each way to run on concrete and a National event. I would love to have to only drive an hour, so you get no sympathy here

Dave (screen name "daverx7") drives at CKR (Lex) most the time. He drives an STS CRX at the CKR events though. Most of the A-Stock and high HP guys stopped going to CKR events because of the small lots and tight courses. I probably will not take my S2000 to any more events there either in favor of other/bigger events outside the region. I have in the past and its just too tight for the S2000. The course designers are MR2 guys and it's pretty obvious. I go to the KYR event because they are more open, faster, and more technical. In the end, it challenges/develops my driving skills more. I haven't made it to any CKR events this year I'm actually currently looking for a Miata or something small to run ST/S enjoy at the local events if I ever do attend. Hope to see you out sometime!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen stock toyota corolla's beat stock S2000's and prepped S2000's.

Just saying ... auto-x has a lot less to do with the car than you think.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by josh7owens,Jul 26 2009, 06:57 PM
ps- I talked my dads friend into bringing out his porsche 968 to the race on the 16th. do I have any chance? like if it was equal drivers would the porsche out handle the s2k? they seem fairly close in stats
I missed that, but just as "wing" stated, it has more to do with the driver than anything. (unless "wing" is talking about something else?) To be technical, the 968 is classed in BS and the S2000 in AS. That said, the S2000, in general, should be superior.

Also, there is a local guy selling some wheels and a Gendron bar I can get you in touch with. I'm selling a custom made removable hitch and some CR shocks. Dave may have some stuff as well. It was a good idea to ask some good/seasoned s2k drivers about these things for before spending money on the wrong part.

BTW, dont mess with the Saner for an AP1. You will need a stiffer bar like the Gendron IMO. 245 Hoosier A6s non staggered (on all 4 corners) is best IMO for an AP1. Kumhos are quite a bit slower but last a bit longer. Still, you may want to run street tires first and give it some time to make sure you want to make the investment. Some newbies get hooked while some try it for a short while and quit.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:01 PM

ok ok guys! i agree there lots are small compared to your kyr lots. I'm gonna run in the kyr region. Its worth the drive to have more people and bigger lots.

I'm ordering my tires today and just got off the phone with a guy and I'm about to leave to go pick up a set of ap1 wheels. I'm gonna paint them gloss black. I still need help deciding on what sway bar to get and what alinment setting to get it set at. Could you all help me out so I could get to the races asap
Old 07-27-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens,Jul 27 2009, 12:01 PM
ok ok guys! i agree there lots are small compared to your kyr lots.
Hey, just trying to help you out and connect you with guys that will do the same. Im a CKR member, not trying to bash...

See my edited post. Also, search for your questions if you need detail, there are tons of threads that go into detail about many of these topics. Mike Jansen can also answer many of these. He may also refer you back to Dave or I.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 PM

its ok dude. thanks for the help.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Screw the Saner bar and go with the custom hollow 1 3/8 SFR bar or the custom 1.5 inch hollow ARE bar.

If you must have R-comp tires, then go with 245 A6's.

As for alignment, start with 0-1/16th front toe out, 1.8-2 degrees front camber and max caster.
Rears go with 1/16 total toe in, and 2.25-2.5 camber.

This is a really good starting point.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM

We also have a gendron bar for sell from the black CR, if you're looking for one
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jadrice,Jul 27 2009, 01:06 PM
We also have a gendron bar for sell from the black CR, if you're looking for one
the solid gendron bar from SFR? if so pm me a price... I need one.

Quick Reply: newbie questions a stock...