S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Next upgrade for stock class auto-x?

Old 11-08-2004, 10:59 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TubeDriver,Nov 8 2004, 12:40 PM
dedicated lap belt or G-Lock.
What's a G-Lock? A search turns up mostly gun stuff, with the odd F1 reference to Timo Glock.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey people, you're preaching to the choir here with that seat time stuff. I can't recall how many events I've been to this year but I can tell you that I've corded a set of full tread victo's and my Hoosiers are almost dead now too.

Anyway, I don't want to go big time cash here. That's why the Konis are appealing. Should I just carry on with the current set up because I don't have major bank? Affordable mods I've considered lately are Konis, aggressive pads, and a used single exhaust. The Konis sound to me to be the most tangible improvement on handling but that's just a guess I'd like to have verified.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

How many miles are on your car?

For local and divisional level the off the shelf Konis may be a good choice. Especially if your OEM shocks are getting weak. (Disclaimer...I've run Konis on other cars with good results, I have no experiance with them on the S, just going with what I've heard.)

Single exhaust is a good choice, but personally, I'll keep the penalty of the stock exhaust over the drone of the singles. (Beside, I can take more weight out of the car by going on a diet.)

For autocross, I'm not convinced that different brake pads do much. (Especially at my talent level.)

After years developing Fiats for DSP, I'm enjoying concentrating on the driver vs. modding the car.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=Elistan,Nov 8 2004, 03:59 PM]What's a G-Lock?
Old 11-08-2004, 12:20 PM

Conedodger, thanks for the response. There are 35,000 odd miles on the car.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shocks are going to make the next big jump in car preparation. The other choices are exhaust and wheels.

If you have a decent budget, get a good set of shocks. Off the shelf Konis will be better than stock, but not what you'd want. I'd recommend something that is adjustable and double adjustable if you've got the money.

The ability to use shock adjustment to tune the car is an incredible advantage. Its not just an improvement over the stock units, but it adds tools to your aid your tuning. My car can go from being just plain ugly to very pleasant with two turns of an allen wrench.

Andy H.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 PM

I disagree with everyone here. If you're looking for maximum time gains, buy new tires more frequently. You say your Hoosiers are almost dead; new Hoosiers are probably at least a half second faster than dead ones (far more so for A3S03s).

Last year shaggy and I brought a new set of tires to every second national-level event, and I know some people bring fresh rubber for every event. Not as fun a purchase as a new toy for your car, but more effective than almost anything else you can do.

Steve
Old 11-09-2004, 04:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1,Nov 8 2004, 01:42 PM
Right, right.... ok. Well I missed the boat on the evo school for the year
Come down to Miami for our Evolution Performance Driving School. I've driven up to Atlanta for track events, it's certainly worth the drive down for the school!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It's clear that people have different approaches. I can totally understand what you are saying Steve. I have only competed in one divisonal and no national events. I can see how it would be important to have new tires before an event like that but what about the rest of the season where my main goal is to just get better? I was mainly thinking of a non-perishable item.

So the off the shelf konis are not worth it I guess. I'll have to look at Penske. What other brands are good besides Moton? I can't really justify 2k on shocks. Am I just out of luck then?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Nov 8 2004, 03:34 PM
http://www.cg-lock.com/

I tried one of these earlier this season. Great idea, but I didn't like the way it fit the S2000 seatbelt. I also didn't like the idea that it was bolted in place and couldn't be easily removed.
G-lock works fine on my seatbelt. I just leave it on all the time, I am just used to it at this point. BTW, I have an extra unused one if anyone is interested. I got it for my wife's WRX but it just won't stay on properly on those belts. I would sell it for $5 below retail + cheap shipping (probably saving you $10 overall?)

Quick Reply: Next upgrade for stock class auto-x?