S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ohlins DFVs..

Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First my car is an autocross car. So track temperatures are not a significant factor as the car gets several minutes to cool after a 60 second run. Also I highly doubt the idea that a Moton will not function properly at track temperatures.

Body control is critical to an autocross setup where you have to deal with significantly more steering inputs then you ever see on a road course. On the otherhand high speed rebound and compression are significantly less important when the vehicle sees very little steady state cornering conditions.

I am certainly not suggesting ohlins are bad and I have no doubt that a driver could win a national championship in STR on ohlins. Drivers of that caliber could likely win on anything, but there must be a reason why so many of them use Motons. Call me a lemming but when they told me to buy some, I did.

You asked why people did not use them so I was just explaining why I made a different choice.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like moton/jrz
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently picked up a set of Ohlins R&T customed valved by PSI. Previously used Tein Monoflex and have driven cars with Koni/GC and CR for comparison.

I track my car, nothing competitive just do lapping days and hope to beat my PB. I haven't had a chance to track with the new setup but based on the past 1.5 months of driving it I can say they are more comfortable than Koni/GC, stock, Tein and CR. They also seem to provide better control and more consistent traction especially over mild imperfections/undulations (however our local track is new and very smooth, though they recently added curbing which are supposedly very unforgiving).

I didn't/don't plan to write a review since I don't want to expend the time and effort nor do I feel qualified to write a credible suspension review. All I can say is, if a local member asked, I would rec. them.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 762
First my car is an autocross car. So track temperatures are not a significant factor as the car gets several minutes to cool after a 60 second run. Also I highly doubt the idea that a Moton will not function properly at track temperatures.

Body control is critical to an autocross setup where you have to deal with significantly more steering inputs then you ever see on a road course. On the otherhand high speed rebound and compression are significantly less important when the vehicle sees very little steady state cornering conditions.

I am certainly not suggesting ohlins are bad and I have no doubt that a driver could win a national championship in STR on ohlins. Drivers of that caliber could likely win on anything, but there must be a reason why so many of them use Motons. Call me a lemming but when they told me to buy some, I did.

You asked why people did not use them so I was just explaining why I made a different choice.
I'm sure the Motons are great, but I wanted to point out that the Ohlins don't just compensate for excess heat. They also compensate for "excess cold". I don't think it matters whether you autocross or track, oil temperature isn't constant.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:59 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by circuitclub
I recently picked up a set of Ohlins R&T customed valved by PSI. Previously used Tein Monoflex and have driven cars with Koni/GC and CR for comparison.

I track my car, nothing competitive just do lapping days and hope to beat my PB. I haven't had a chance to track with the new setup but based on the past 1.5 months of driving it I can say they are more comfortable than Koni/GC, stock, Tein and CR. They also seem to provide better control and more consistent traction especially over mild imperfections/undulations (however our local track is new and very smooth, though they recently added curbing which are supposedly very unforgiving).

I didn't/don't plan to write a review since I don't want to expend the time and effort nor do I feel qualified to write a credible suspension review. All I can say is, if a local member asked, I would rec. them.
Thats exactly what all the reviews say. Despite being so comfortable, they simply offer added control. I came from 2 years on Moton CS and the DFVs simply had that much more car control. The car is more stable in almost any unsettling condition whether it is my fault or the track has a dramatic dip/bump/curb, etc. Thanks for the comments.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump so I can find it again
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urge
Originally Posted by OVER 9000!' timestamp='1345701079' post='21957991
Would it be possible for s2ki members to get a discount on these? I've been looking at these and I'm saving up for either AST 4150's or Ohlins DFV's, but would like to know what price I'm shooting for haha
As Gernby noted, I can not discount off the price but I can do other things. Please email for details.

AST 4150 are good dampers, I promise you, the DFVs are on another level for the features below. If you look at our site, I have 10 positive reviews on them on all types of cars, including the S2K.
  1. Ohlins DFV have a 3rd "Super High Speed" path in addition to the traditional high speed and low speed oil paths. Some dampers have a "blow off" valve but the DFVs have a 2 way valve that rebounds as quickly as it compresses hence the name "Dual Flow Valve". This is unique and extremely important on the track over bumps at high speed. Essentially the DFVs settle the car down more quickly than other dampers in these situations.
  2. The DFVs have a temperature sensitive needle valve on the low speed path that provides a more consistent car when cold to hot track conditions. The car feels more consistent across a wider range of track temperature conditions
I would like to know what piston speed "super high speed" is? I didn't find that in the literature on your site.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by robinson
Originally Posted by Urge' timestamp='1345737451' post='21958831
[quote name='OVER 9000!' timestamp='1345701079' post='21957991']
Would it be possible for s2ki members to get a discount on these? I've been looking at these and I'm saving up for either AST 4150's or Ohlins DFV's, but would like to know what price I'm shooting for haha
As Gernby noted, I can not discount off the price but I can do other things. Please email for details.

AST 4150 are good dampers, I promise you, the DFVs are on another level for the features below. If you look at our site, I have 10 positive reviews on them on all types of cars, including the S2K.
  1. Ohlins DFV have a 3rd "Super High Speed" path in addition to the traditional high speed and low speed oil paths. Some dampers have a "blow off" valve but the DFVs have a 2 way valve that rebounds as quickly as it compresses hence the name "Dual Flow Valve". This is unique and extremely important on the track over bumps at high speed. Essentially the DFVs settle the car down more quickly than other dampers in these situations.
  2. The DFVs have a temperature sensitive needle valve on the low speed path that provides a more consistent car when cold to hot track conditions. The car feels more consistent across a wider range of track temperature conditions
I would like to know what piston speed "super high speed" is? I didn't find that in the literature on your site.
[/quote]

Great question and we are waiting for a specific answer from Ohlins.

What I can tell you unofficially is that the DFV is like a 2 way blow off valve, extending the compression and rebound operating range. The DFV advantage is that it lets the shock recover from a "blow off", vs a typically blow off valve slowly rebounding (recovering), causing a the car to "crash" back down unsettling the car. I found the below in some literature.

The DFV System stops the pistons running too fast in the high-speed curve to create the ideal characteristics to achieve damping force.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I really like to separate compression from rebound.

There are times where I adjust them opposite to one another.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by CKit
I really like to separate compression from rebound.

There are times where I adjust them opposite to one another.
Also, some people like 4 way for high speed damping adjustment to have further refinement.

The DFVs are a compromise in adjustability to have a more affordable damper. Essentially getting Ohlins quality and innovation at $2999 price point.

The DFV has a wider range of damping by adding a 3rd super high speed oil path plus temperature adjusting low speed path providing car control and traction benefits over individual adjustment dampers. So it is simply a choice of better monotube damping vs individual adjustment of Rebound and Compression.

Everyone that has run the DFVs have noted the improved damping and we hope to have more reviews soon. Lots of interests in the DFVs. Thank you

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFVs..