S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ohlins DFVs..

Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Ohlins DFVs..

Full disclosure, Yes I am a sponsor and Yes I only sell Ohlins Dampers.

I wanted to see what the track community thoughts were on Ohlins DFVs? I have not seen them used much in the tracking community even though they have 2 unique features that are geared to the track community. The S2000 DFVs have been around for 2-3 years and the predecessor PCV has been around 6-7 years.
  1. First, the Ohlins has a 3rd "Super High Speed" path in addition to the traditional high speed and low speed oil paths. Some dampers have a "blow off" valve but the DFVs have a 2 way valve that rebounds as quickly as it compresses hence the name "Dual Flow Valve". This is unique and extremely important on the track over bumps at high speed. Essentially the DFVs settle the car down more quickly than other dampers in these situations.
  2. Second, the DFVs have a temperature sensitive needle valve on the low speed path that provides a more consistent car when cold to hot track conditions. The car feels more consistent across a wider range of track temperature conditions

Read here to learn more

I understand that it only has a single adjustment, but it actually adjust compression and rebound simultaneously. Most people set R&C at similar levels so this may not be a big deal.
Also, people may feel the springs are soft, but with 32 damper adjustments you can add compression/rebound to help reduce roll. Plus you can increase spring rate by about 20% and the DFVs can take it. I dont think it needs it as the grip is amazing.

There have been many positive track reviews including one by our very own Gernby.
S2000 Review Gernby's Review
Nurburgring Evo X Review
Subie Review
Evo Review
Evo Review 2
Miata Review
Miata Review 2
RX-8 Review
Civic Review

Please check out and the reviews and post your thoughts on the DFVs as a cost effective high end track damper.

I feel that these perform better than many high end dampers, I went from Moton Clubsports and these control and settle the car noticably better. Motons, AST and JRZ where all developed from the same group of people and design.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I covered everything I could think of in the review I posted, but I will add a quick note here.

After being blown away by what these coilovers allow me to do, I'm very surprised they aren't more popular. I've had JIC-FLTA2's and "home built" Koni coilovers with similar spring rates, but they didn't hold a candle to the Ohlins. I literally had no idea a damper could cause such a huge improvement in handling, especially without degrading ride comfort. I would bet that most people would think my ride quality is as good as stock. However, the car handles so well, that I actually got my first FTD (Fasted Time Of Day) in almost 10 years at the first event I ran them.

I have a track event on September 22nd, and will update my review thread with more feedback and video.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Former Sponsor

BTW, although I'm also a sponsor, I don't sell suspension products at all, and am simply a customer of Urge Designs.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2Krazy89
Interested. Where are the DFV made and who can rebuild them?
DFVs are designed in Sweden. Most likely tested there too.
They are manufactured in Japan by a long time partner of theirs.

The DFVs can absolutely be rebuilt in the US. There are two places certified to rebuild Ohlins in the US, one in Charlotte area, the other in Northern California.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be possible for s2ki members to get a discount on these? I've been looking at these and I'm saving up for either AST 4150's or Ohlins DFV's, but would like to know what price I'm shooting for haha
Old 08-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
Would it be possible for s2ki members to get a discount on these? I've been looking at these and I'm saving up for either AST 4150's or Ohlins DFV's, but would like to know what price I'm shooting for haha

I'm not trying to answer for Urge, but I figured the answer might mean more from someone who just bought this kit. It seems that Ohlins prohibits its dealers from offering discounts, so you won't find any authorized Ohlins dealers that sell them for anything less than MSRP. I checked around, and couldn't find anyone offering them for even $1 less. I wound up buying from Urge, since he's a fellow S2K enthusiast with a lot of knowledge about track setup. I can't think of a reason to buy from anyone else.

When I bought the Ohlins, I was also considering the AST 4150's, since AST is actually local to me (uber-quick rebuild service). Most of the "good" autocross / track guys around here use AST's for that reason. However, they seem to take forever to get. I think it was going to take months for me to get them...
Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
As Gernby noted, I can not discount off the price but I can do other things. Please email for details.

AST 4150 are good dampers, I promise you, the DFVs are on another level for the features below. If you look at our site, I have 10 positive reviews on them on all types of cars, including the S2K.
  1. Ohlins DFV have a 3rd "Super High Speed" path in addition to the traditional high speed and low speed oil paths. Some dampers have a "blow off" valve but the DFVs have a 2 way valve that rebounds as quickly as it compresses hence the name "Dual Flow Valve". This is unique and extremely important on the track over bumps at high speed. Essentially the DFVs settle the car down more quickly than other dampers in these situations.
  2. The DFVs have a temperature sensitive needle valve on the low speed path that provides a more consistent car when cold to hot track conditions. The car feels more consistent across a wider range of track temperature conditions

Old 08-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not buy Ohlins simply because I did not see shock dynos from Ohlins that featured more low speed compression than a Moton or JRZ.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 762
I did not buy Ohlins simply because I did not see shock dynos from Ohlins that featured more low speed compression than a Moton or JRZ.

Is there a reason why that was a concern? It seems like a pretty random data point.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by 762' timestamp='1345757984' post='21959860

Is there a reason why that was a concern? It seems like a pretty random data point.
I agree??

Low Speed compression main effects body roll? The real benefit of the dampers is the Dual Flow Valve for Super High Speed C&R.
Did Moton or JRZ provide shock dynos at track temperatures? Did they put them in an oven and get them up to track temperatures? If not, those plots are pointless..

Bottom line, the DFVs have countless reviews of positive performance on the track. We have a link to over 10 of them on our site.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFVs..