S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

pic/info request for homemade front splitters

Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pic/info request for homemade front splitters

I just picked up an asm rep front bumper and can't decide to rock it with a custom splitter or just use my oem bumper and get a CR lip. What are people using for front downforce? I just picked up a gtc-300 wing and am going to need some matched front downforce. I currently have a coastal metals splitter that I was thinking I'd use as a template but make it a bit bigger and than use supports to add rigidity. Looking for any kind of feedback. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:55 AM

bump... no one has made a diy splitter or has advice?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump
Old 12-29-2010, 08:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I made this very large splitter from 3/8 plywood. It turned out to be way too big and created a lot of drag. I dropped a couple of seconds and got within 8 hundredths of a second of the S2000 Summit Point lap record when I trimmed it to 1 1/2 inches. I wouldn't recommend going over 2 inches from the bumper for a splitter. At 2 inches you won't need any rod supports unless you want them for their looks.

The toughest part of making the splitter is getting the mounting holes right. If you already have a splitter it's easy to use it to place the holes on the new splitter. I recommend making at least 2 so you have a replacement ready to go with the holes in the right spot.

I used brush on wood primer and brush on flat black paint from Home Depot and it came out really well. Lots of people ask me what it's made of so it doesn't look like plywood.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 AM

I have the same RR wing and fabricated a two part splitter : a under tray (from radiator support to edge of front bumper) and a front lip (1/4" ply which extends about 4" from the bumper).

The front lip and undertray overlap each other AND the flange at the bottom of the bumper and all the parts are sandwiched with strip of plastic with 6mm t-nuts embedded into it.

I'll have the car apart later for maintenance this weekend, will put together a DIY.

This is the (maybe) 4th iteration of this splitter and has survived the majority of last year's S2kC. From all the track day photos (I usually check the shots on the computers taken the day of the event), it doesn't bend or flex. The downforce is noticeable especially when combined with the small spats on the front edge of the wheel arches.

It's ghetto but effective...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Use alumalite. It is a common sign material. You could even fab something out of cardboard and take it to a sign shop and have them cut a splitter.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:39 AM

what camber settings are you running?
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 AM

Here is a pic of mine. Built out of allumacore wich is very light and sturdy.
Obviously not on an S. I had to make it easily removable so that I would be able to get the car on the trailer still, so its all attached with dzus clips.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:15 AM

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Very nice design designfreak

You're running it low enough to actually generate low pressure under the splitter. In NASA Performance Touring we take a big hit in points to extend the front bumper to lower the splitter.

Quick Reply: pic/info request for homemade front splitters