S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Possible Oil Starvation

Old 09-18-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Oil Starvation

At an AutoX this weekend and coming out of a long duration sweeping right hander I did not get full power from the motor. Seemed like it would rev to about 8 grand and quit(9k motor). If I took a different line (starighter out, less carry through) it would feel ok. It ran ok early in the session but started exibiting this late. After this event everyting seems fine. No other problems at all.

I was worried that is was oil starvation initially and then looked at my fuel gauge. I was at about 2 bars. That led me to believe that it was a fuel isssue, but the car did not stall, just hesitiated. I also check the oil and it doesn't look low.

Has anyone experienced this issue with fueling before?

Also in regards to oiling, does anyone run a baffled Oil Pan, and how much oil is enough.

Thanks for the input.
JB
Old 09-18-2006, 07:56 AM

yes, it's fuel starvation. For auto-x, fuel starvation has been experienced with as much as 1 bar over half a tank.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubbs,Sep 18 2006, 09:43 AM
Also in regards to oiling, does anyone run a baffled Oil Pan, and how much oil is enough.
Check your class before making mods. A baffled pan will bump you out of stock to BSP or SM2 (not sure which).
Old 09-20-2006, 05:59 PM

I agree with payneinthe. This exact thing happend to me at my last track event. At mid corner I put the pedal down and the engine would cut out at 6k... felt like safe mode or something... but the car drove fine back to the pits. I had 4!! bars left of fuel... so packed up, headed home... and car died leaving the track. The bars eventually hit the bottom.... so yeah, it seems that the fuel gauge is EXTREMELY unreliable during a track event where you're 95% VTEC all day and putting lots of Gforces on the car in all directions....
Old 09-04-2009, 04:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

^^General question: was the engine warmed up when your engine cut out at 6k? If it wasn't at the full 3 bars, your mass airflow sensor will cut in and not let you rev higher...
Old 09-04-2009, 04:56 PM

it sounds like fuel starvation. I always have the same issue with 3 bars. always the hard right turn.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could have also been blow by but, its more than likely fuel.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbs,Sep 18 2006, 05:43 AM
At an AutoX this weekend and coming out of a long duration sweeping right hander I did not get full power from the motor. Seemed like it would rev to about 8 grand and quit(9k motor). If I took a different line (starighter out, less carry through) it would feel ok. It ran ok early in the session but started exibiting this late. After this event everyting seems fine. No other problems at all.

I was worried that is was oil starvation initially and then looked at my fuel gauge. I was at about 2 bars. That led me to believe that it was a fuel isssue, but the car did not stall, just hesitiated. I also check the oil and it doesn't look low.

Has anyone experienced this issue with fueling before?

Thanks for the input.
JB
best bet it was a fuel thing.

i saw 4 bars on mine before it just cut mid straight.

when i brought car back into the pits i saw it went back to 2 bars. then i tried to drive it to the fuel station but after 50m of driving, it was no bars.

now i top up when i see 1/3 tank.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 AM

I had similar issues before installing the oil catch can but the power loss came with lots of smoke out the pipes.
I've ran out of gas leaving the track for the gas station, tricked by the oe fuel guage.
I also think low fuel pressure is your issue. Either accumulator if you are allowed or Jerry cans at the autox to keep topped up.

Andrew
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm,Sep 4 2009, 07:04 PM
^^General question: was the engine warmed up when your engine cut out at 6k? If it wasn't at the full 3 bars, your mass airflow sensor will cut in and not let you rev higher...
He was on a race track... don't I don't think engine temp was an issue. Good observation though.

Quick Reply: Possible Oil Starvation