S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Proposed Rule Changes - S2K Challenge 2010

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proposed Rule Changes - S2K Challenge 2010

If you are interested in S2KI Challenge go here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=758701

*****New Rules for 2010****

Below are the new rules for 2010 S2K Challenge Series Rules. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

*Disclaimer: Rules MAY change prior to the start of the season.

AERO
0.25* = air dam bumper, air dam or any add-on lip excluding non-CR OEM lip.
0.50* = full front aero package (air dam bumper, lip, canards, splitter, wheel spats, etc.)
0.25 = rear diffuser
0.25 = rear spoiler (none-OEM)
0.50 = level 1 wing (CR wing or smaller)
1.00 = level 2 wing (APR GTC-200 wing or smaller)
1.50 = level 2 wing with riser (APR GTC-200 wing with riser)
2.00 = level 3 wing (any adjustable wing bigger than APR GTC-200)

TIRE/WHEEL
2.50 = R-compound tires (NT01, RA1, R888, A048, PSC)
3.50 = R-compound tires (R6, V700, R1)
5.00 = R-compound tires (V710, A6, C91)
0.50 = any deviation from original OEM staggered wheel setup up to 9" wide front and/or rear.
0.75 = any deviation from original OEM staggered wheel setup wider than 9" front and/or rear.
0.75 = 245-255 front tire
0.50 = 265+ tire width (front and/or rear)

POWER
0.25 = OEM 2.2L motor
0.25 = any aftermarket intake system
0.25 = any aftermarket header
0.25 = test pipe
0.25 = cat-back exhaust
1.50 = engine internal modifications (non-performance enhancing modifications excluded)
2.50 = forced induction (inclusive of ECU, header and intake mode)
0.75 = aftermarket ECU or reflash or OEM ECU swap

SUSPENSION
1.00 = fixed-height none-adjustable shocks with up to 400lbs/in spring (including CR shock and spring).
2.00 = adjustable shocks or coilover suspension

DRIVE TRAIN
0.50 = non-oem LSD

WEIGHT
0.25 = soft top removal + hardtop
0.25 = passenger seat removal
0.25 = rear trim removal (unless necessary for installation of safety equipment)
0.25 = light weight doors
0.25 = AC removal
0.25 = Non OEM or modified rear bumper

FREE MOD
- any TW140+ street tires
- lightweight battery
- lightweight hood, trunk, fender
- spare tire & tool removal
- any alignment
- camber kit, bump steer kit, tie rod end, roll center adjuster
- updating or backdating anything except CR performance-enhancing parts
- bucket seats
- steering wheel
- brake duct
- aftermarket brake systems
- any sway bars
- any add-on chassis reinforcement
- any interior removal as required for safety equipment installation
- high-flow catalytic converter
- any spacer
- OEM spoiler

SAFETY (applies to Modified and Street classes only, and all must be able to pass SCCA inspection)
-0.25** = roll bar installation
-0.50** = roll bar installation with bucket seat and FIA-approved 5+ point harness
-0.75** = full roll cage installation with bucket seat and FIA-approved 5+ point harness

OTHER
- any more interior / exterior removal than specifically allowed above will result in Unlimited classification

* Mutually exclusive. An air dam bumper or aftermarket lip would be 0.25 points. Upon addition of a splitter or any other front aero modification, the total point penalty would be 0.50 points.
** Mutually exclusive. There is no point deduction for running only bucket seats and harnesses without a roll bar.

Stock Class - 0.50 points maximum
The purpose of this class is to keep costs down and be attractive to a newcomer with a completely stock S2000. Drivers of all experience levels are welcome. As the rules are most tightly regulated, all the cars would be on the same playing field and direct driver to driver comparisons could be drawn. must use no larger than 235/40 front and no larger than 255/40 rear. no splitter or wing allowed.

Street Class - 3.50 points maximum
The purpose of this class is to allow moderate modifications to the car, as well as allowing CR owners the ability to truly "arrive and drive." A bone-stock CR with AC/Audio removal would be classed at 2.5 points, allowing CR owners the ability to do an ECU tune, add a diffuser, wheels or do some minor power modifications. The modifications limitations would be: no front splitter, no level-III wing, no tires less than 140 treadwear, no final drive, and no FI.

Modified – 10 points maximum

Unlimited – No point limit
This is an exhibition class. Only the first place winner will receive a prize. but if we receive enough interest (more than 3 competitors), we will open this class back up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Original Post)
I'm going to start a thread because everyone seems to want some changes to the rules.

Generally, I think the rules are good and could live with all of them. The one thing I would like to see is more events in Northern California.

PROPOSED RULE CHANGE:
My recommendation for a change is that the Street Class should be limited to Street Class tires, not R-Comp. Anyone running R-Comps should automatically be bumped up into modified.

REASONING:
My reasoning for this is Spec classes are extremely competitive and can really test driver talent in a stockish S2000. Essentially a poor man's spec class for people who want to turn some laps and have some friendly competition in a pure street driven car with some reasonable modifications.

Modified should be more competitive stepping stone to Unlimited. And Unlimited should be for people preparing or already in wheel to wheel racing.

Current Classification for your reference:
Street Class
0 to <=5 points
Modified Class
5> to <=11 points
Unlimited Class
11> points

AERO
0.25 = air dam bumper, any add-on lip (including OEM), canards, wind deflector
0.50 = splitter
0.25 = diffuser
1.25 = level 1 wing (CR, APR200 low mount, Mugen)
2.25 = level 2 wing (Voltex, J's, APR300, APR200 high mount, C-West)

TIRE/WHEEL
0.75 = level 1 street tires (RT615, RS2, MX, CSC3, PS2)
1.50 = level 2 street tires (Z1, AD07, RE01R, R1R, 595RSR, NT05, RE070)
3.50 = R-comp (RA1, R888, NT01, A048, PSC)
1.00 = 235~265 front tires
0.5 = 9" wheel or wider and/or widening front/rear track with wheels or spacers lower than OEM offsets (front +55, rear +65, not counting camber effect)

POWER
0.25 = non-oem intake system or any mods to OEM intake (including filter, snorkel, or piping)
0.25 = non-oem header
0.25 = test pipe
0.25 = cat-back exhaust
0.75 = ECU
1.50 = engine internal mods
3.00 = FI

SUSPENSION
1.00 = non-coilover suspension including CR suspension
2.50 = coilover suspension

DRIVETRAIN
0.50 = clutch type LSD
0.75 = final drive

WEIGHT REDUCTION
0.25 = softtop removal (but you must run a hardtop). Note: Penalty for soft-top removal waived if you have a 4pt roll-bar, 5-6pt harness, and an approved race seat. Interior removal on installation of safety equipment are not penalized.
0.25 = passenger seat removal
Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning for R-comps in Street. Your argument that it is a "poor man's class" is actually defeated by the fact that one can be competitive with just R-comps and a wing. 225/255 Nitto NT01s can be had for about $630 after the SpeedVentures discount, and an APR GTC-300 wing costs about $530. Because of the point distribution, by running R-comps you are left with fewer options for modifications, which drives costs down and you actually get closer to the "spec" racing. Besides, tires like NT01 are DOT approved and street legal.

I also propose that we actually throw out the one Northern California event in the S2K Challenge schedule. Just look at the attendance: a total of four participants! As the majority of S2KC drivers and SV clients reside in Southern California, it is obvious that people don't want to make a 16-hour round trip drive for maybe 2 hours of total track time. I propose that instead we incorporate Auto Club Speedway (Infield and Roval) and also run Buttonwillow in different configurations just to keep things interesting.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote that rear trim removal for the purpose of installing a proper roll bar should not be penalized. If someone wants to keep their interior stockish by fitting a roll bar with a really high harness bar, that should be a personal preference only.

I also vote that ECU modding should not be penalized because for 06+ cars it's virually impossible to tell that an aftermarket reflash has been done. I really wanna change my V-TEC point but don't want to cheat

I agree that adding AutoClub Speedway makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised it wasn't on the schedule at all this year as it is soooo close to home for us SoCal peeps. Can we please run SOWS in the CCW configuration??? It's so much better than CW!!

Oh and the wheel thing...the 0.5 point penalty for running 9" wheels or even slightly lower offsets is a bit much. It makes it really hard for people to run affordable aftermarket wheels because as we all know OEM offset wheels are close to non-existent for our cars. Shouldn't we be more worried about tire widths? You can only widen the track on a car so much before handling suffers. Maybe a clause about widebody kits would help prevent abuse?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 PM

Most programs run most of California's tracks (North and South during a season). Plus the single NorCal was during a holiday. Attendance was dismal in general that weekend because it was Thanksgiving (I think). Trust me plenty of people in NorCal will track their S2000.

R-Comps in the equation drive up the cost without question.
R-Comps run about 500-1000+, plus you need an extra set of wheels. So at minimum its 1400 to get into R-Comp/ Wheel territory.

I guess I think the series should be more inclusive and competitive, but with the recognition that its not racing.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:28 PM

Fil,

It is actually a 0.5 point penalty for running non-OEM size/offset wheels. I agree that tire widths are more important than wheel spec, but wheel specs (width, offset, weight) definitely do make a difference.

Firstly, I do not agree with the current rule because someone with the budget could buy lightweight 15-16lb 17x8.5 +65 wheels and drop a total of about 25 pounds of unsprung weight with no penalty. I believe that this would make a bigger difference in laptime than removing the passenger seat.

I think that there should be a 0.25pt penalty for running non-OEM wheels that are within .5" of OEM width and 10mm of OEM offset (i.e. you could run up to a 17x9 +55 with no penalty), with no restriction on weight. Beyond that, a 0.5pt penalty sounds reasonable (for those running 17x9.5 +30).
Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

typo sorry, fixed right after I posted
Old 07-29-2009, 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=Sdracing,Jul 29 2009, 01:27 PM] Most programs run most of California's tracks (North and South during a season).
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 PM

Monkey math? Lol Do you have to resort to personal attacks or can we keep it clean?

1400 for R-Comps and Wheels seems like a fairly reasonable guesstimate. Most guys running R-Comps and wheels are way over 2k with lighter wheels. But that's besides the point.

I think about people who run street tires in the Street Class. This is similar to the SCCA rules, it makes sense to me even though I have R-Comps.

I agree with this----> "the 0.5 point penalty for running 9" wheels or even slightly lower offsets is a bit much. It makes it really hard for people to run affordable aftermarket wheels because as we all know OEM offset wheels are close to non-existent for our cars."
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 PM

I was being humorous, not personally attacking you. You said $1400 minimum, with minimum being the key word. But I know from personal experience that this is not the case. You are using a cost argument, but you are sure to lose from that standpoint. Under the current rules, essentially the only other way to be competitive is to run non-stagger on non-OEM suspension, like Emilio (who is much faster than me).

AP2 rear wheels: $300 (if you can even manage to find just the rears)
255x4 Z1 Star Spec: $700 (not sure, but I am positive more expensive than NT01)
APR GTC-200 wing: $530
CR or non-OEM suspension: $300-800

If you add it all up, it is more than my setup by at least $200.

Also, if you are making a cost argument, and talking about how a budget-minded participant can be competitive, why are you even bringing in $2000 lightweight wheels? I am on NT01 on AP2 wheels, and I think I am pretty competitive in Street class this year.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:49 PM

SUSPENSION
1.00 = non-coilover suspension including CR suspension

You can combine MY01 rear suspension with MY08 front suspension and you don't get a penalty, but I have to take a full point hit for running OEM springs that came with my CR? You could buy aftermarket springs as stiff as you want and as low as you want, but it's still considered the same advantage as having CR springs? Sounds wrong to me...

Quick Reply: Proposed Rule Changes - S2K Challenge 2010