S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Pulling the ABS fuse

Old 09-03-2017, 02:33 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV
Correct, although maybe I shouldn't expand due to competitive advantage...

Kidding. Before I go further, please realize this is based on a generalization of how EBD works. I don't have knowledge of how the S2000 is setup specifically and this goes out the window if you alter the braking system (pads, caliper piston size, rotor diameter, etc.).

The S2000 doesn't have an old-school proportioning valve but instead relies on the ABS system to modulate rear brake pressure (EBD) to achieve max decel. Without this, the rears will lock prematurely and you will not get as much decel as you would with working EBD.

YMMV
AP1s and non-dbw AP2s do have a proportioning valve along with EBD, DBW AP2s use EBD only (but a more advanced algorithm to account for the lack of prop valve).
Old 09-03-2017, 02:40 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DefSport
I think everybody should do a few dozen sessions on track without ABS at a minimum. I've found most people now cannot threshold brake at all in advanced DE groups, whereas ABS wasn't super common in track cars in the late 90s to early 2000's(cars from late 80s to early 90s mostly), so everybody could threshold brake.

Most now just seem to mash the middle pedal way too hard and let the computer sort it out. If you engage ABS more than a few times a session you're using it as a crutch, and an S2000 totally stops better without getting into ABS. So I don't see how it will increase stopping distances unless you cannot threshold brake.
Another layer to the issue is that the brake system is designed around the ABS unit being part of the brake distribution. Modern cars rely on the electronics to expand the performance envelop and as a result turning them off can cause that envelope to shrink. EBD is able to do more advanced things with brake bias than the proportioning valves on 80s and 90s cars. Its not a given than the brake bias without EBD is remotely correct on modern cars as the foundation brake hardware is designed knowing that EBD will be there. Turning EBD off is like removing the prop valve on a 80s car, the brakes will be far to rear biased and the performance will suffer greatly.
The following 3 users liked this post by SakeBomb Garage:
BradtheMachine (09-06-2017), freq (09-04-2017), s2000ellier (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I never turned it off, brakes worked really well and I had enough on my hands really getting comfortable with them. Even 3 days on the track and I still felt like I was learning/getting more comfortable with the new setup. I not once locked wheels or engaged ABS. I will start ratcheting things up a bit and possibly look into pulling the fuse at some point.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Another layer to the issue is that the brake system is designed around the ABS unit being part of the brake distribution. Modern cars rely on the electronics to expand the performance envelop and as a result turning them off can cause that envelope to shrink. EBD is able to do more advanced things with brake bias than the proportioning valves on 80s and 90s cars. Its not a given than the brake bias without EBD is remotely correct on modern cars as the foundation brake hardware is designed knowing that EBD will be there. Turning EBD off is like removing the prop valve on a 80s car, the brakes will be far to rear biased and the performance will suffer greatly.
There's still a prop valve on most S2000s. If ABS increased the braking performance, you'd get shorter braking distances with it fully engaged. That's definitely not the case with my '03 AP1. ABS increases the braking distance the usual ~5-10% you'd expect.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DefSport
There's still a prop valve on most S2000s. If ABS increased the braking performance, you'd get shorter braking distances with it fully engaged. That's definitely not the case with my '03 AP1. ABS increases the braking distance the usual ~5-10% you'd expect.
You forgot to add "on flat smooth dry asphalt while going in a straight line". Of course there are times where you can outperform ABS but in general thats only going to be in laboratory conditions, as soon as you add in bumps, turns, rain etc. you will be much better with ABS on. And on DBW cars without a prop valve you must leave it on to have reasonable brake distribution.

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 09-04-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM

I just messed around with it a bit on the streets and it most definitely locks the rear brakes. Even with the BBK, I was easily locking the rears, which is shocking how I can go from riding the front ABS "semi locking" the fronts to straight locking the rears, simply by pulling the fuse. I will say that it may not be a great idea unless you have $ for new tires.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by bgoetz
I just messed around with it a bit on the streets and it most definitely locks the rear brakes. Even with the BBK, I was easily locking the rears, which is shocking how I can go from riding the front ABS "semi locking" the fronts to straight locking the rears, simply by pulling the fuse. I will say that it may not be a great idea unless you have $ for new tires.
What year is your car?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
What year is your car?
Old 09-06-2017, 05:15 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

[QUOTE=it may not be a great idea unless you have $ for new tires.[/QUOTE]

flat spots for days
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think my point has been proven.