S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Which radiator to choose?

Old 06-19-2018, 06:05 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

buy the snake bomb garage one
Old 06-19-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by slowd16
Once the temps are over the thermostat a lower one wont help. Just do the rad and leave the oem thermostat in. With my Koyo my car ran off the thermostat on track. never saw over 187* even in 100* FL Summer.
Spot on about the thermostat but I wouldn’t mind a 180* as that should make a little more power and give more buffer before heatsoak sets in running in close quarters.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:09 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like Mishimoto has quality issues with both the
2 row 2 row
and
3 row 3 row
models.

I'm not a fan of the way the RSG dual pass has the shroud welded to the rad with the top and bottom blocked off. That would probably be an advantage to help the fans move air in traffic when they are the prime mover of air, but on the track seems like it would be a restriction when airflow is needed most.

Please ignore my question about relocating the bottom hose - just looked more closely at my car and see that it's already on the same side as the inlet.

Can anyone confirm if the stock fans can be used with the SBG Mr. Sideways rad? From their pictures it looks like it's missing the mounting points.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
I am running a Koyo, and while I have not had a single issue and it keeps my coolant temps in check, if I had to do it again I would have gone with a Mr.Sideways/SakeBomb radiator.
The Mr. Sideways appears to require new fans so is about $850 vs. $300 for Koyo. Why would you choose the Mr. Sideways?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
On paper, for a hot summer day on a track with 60+% WOT, the thicker Mishmoto or the double-pass Rockstar CSF or Sakebomb Mr. Sideways are probably the way to go.
I would never use Mishimoto anything due to their poor quality. My bro-in-law had a 2002 WRX and his stock radiator finally cracked after some 180k miles. He was just looking to put something in to get the car running to sell it. It took THREE Mishimoto radiators to get one that sorta fit well enough to be functional. One had a weld bead that was too large causing interference with something, another had a bung in the wrong location not allowing the stock fan to line up and bolt on. With all the time wasted trying to install and having to ship back the defective units, it would have been well worth just getting the Koyo in the first place. Just compare the weld quality of Koyo vs Mishimoto or CSF even, and you'll see the superior quality.
The following users liked this post:
F1TwoThousand (08-04-2021)
Old 06-19-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
The Mr. Sideways rad looks like a nice piece, but given it's more than two times the price of the Toyo, I wonder if it's worth it given I plan to leave the engine stock.
In my opinion, the Mr. Sideways radiator is only required for boosted S2ks that see extensive track use. The Koyo is perfectly adequate for any NA S2k doing HPDEs and likely S2ks racing. I'll quantify a bit. My car still has A/C (which reduces cooling due to the A/C condenser reducing airflow through the radiator) and my coolant didn't budge over 190F thermostat setting even with the 102F track temps. I will also add I have a separate oil cooler. Now, this was HPDE where I wasn't drafting and running nose to tail with other cars. However, in a pure road racing track car where one would be driving in heavy traffic, a pure track car will not have A/C. I have not seen anyone need more cooling than the Koyo can provide for a NA S2000. For a forced induction s2000, that may change, but I don't have any direct experience.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

I bought a used Mishimoto from a local member on here. It's a 3 row.

https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-...-radiator.html

Fitment was good, almost perfect. I added a lower 80*C switch while it was out. I was able to retain my stock fan (singular). I recently went AEM and added a Modifry ECT module and rarely see 190*F here in the PA / NJ region during TT use.

My biggest bitch with Mishimoto is the sticker on the radiator cap NEVER lines up.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

if you are not boosted you dont need anything more than oem. if you are overheating the oem rad with stockish power levels you have a cooling and/or air flow problem
Old 06-19-2018, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I would never use Mishimoto anything due to their poor quality. My bro-in-law had a 2002 WRX and his stock radiator finally cracked after some 180k miles. He was just looking to put something in to get the car running to sell it. It took THREE Mishimoto radiators to get one that sorta fit well enough to be functional. One had a weld bead that was too large causing interference with something, another had a bung in the wrong location not allowing the stock fan to line up and bolt on. With all the time wasted trying to install and having to ship back the defective units, it would have been well worth just getting the Koyo in the first place. Just compare the weld quality of Koyo vs Mishimoto or CSF even, and you'll see the superior quality.
I second this... I understand when Mishimoto radiators used to be cheaper than Koyo or CSF, but now that they're the same price, or even more in some cases (I guess all that drifting sponsorship worked), whats the point in buying a subpar product? Just get the Koyo or CSF... or Mr. Sideways if you have boost.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
if you are not boosted you dont need anything more than oem. if you are overheating the oem rad with stockish power levels you have a cooling and/or air flow problem
Perhaps you didn't read my original post? It's not overheating yet, rather, as I'm driving better/faster/harder it's beginning to get into the range where I think it might affect engine reliability over time. Add to that I'm at altitude where the air is 15+% less dense so less effective at cooling. I'd like to bring the temps down and not have to think about it anymore.

Quick Reply: Which radiator to choose?