S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just an idea so please inform me with anything that would make this impossible on our cars.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=993228&page=2

In the thread I linked to prevent excessive oil consumption through his CCV he used a provent 200 catch can that has a filter inside to separate the oil. It also has a drain line that can be used to transfer the filtered oil to a container. However he used this line and routed it back into his oil sump using his dip stick tube. He says that he has gone from a quart ever 7000 miles to absolutely zero consumption. I would be interested in someone doing a similar modification to their s2000 to try and prevent the smokescreen. I bring this up because some people aren't comfortable removing their valve cover let alone drilling holes in their baffle. Any ideas?

I don't mean to thread jack just don't see the use in creating a thread for something that is purely theoretical as of now
Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Micalbertl
This is just an idea so please inform me with anything that would make this impossible on our cars.

http://www.e90post.c...t=993228&page=2

In the thread I linked to prevent excessive oil consumption through his CCV he used a provent 200 catch can that has a filter inside to separate the oil. It also has a drain line that can be used to transfer the filtered oil to a container. However he used this line and routed it back into his oil sump using his dip stick tube. He says that he has gone from a quart ever 7000 miles to absolutely zero consumption. I would be interested in someone doing a similar modification to their s2000 to try and prevent the smokescreen. I bring this up because some people aren't comfortable removing their valve cover let alone drilling holes in their baffle. Any ideas?
That is not a bad idea, but a catch can is a band aid to the issue. The problem is oil getting trapped in the baffle plate. By removing it, modifying it, and reattaching it, you can get away with a going a longer time without checking the catch can. I would still prefer to have a catch can installed that collects material so you can monitor the condition of your engine easier. If you drain your catch can back into the engine, you are recirculating oil with gas vapor in it back into the oil.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Originally Posted by Micalbertl' timestamp='1469118283' post='24021832

http://www.e90post.c...t=993228&page=2

That is not a bad idea, but a catch can is a band aid to the issue. The problem is oil getting trapped in the baffle plate. By removing it, modifying it, and reattaching it, you can get away with a going a longer time without checking the catch can. I would still prefer to have a catch can installed that collects material so you can monitor the condition of your engine easier. If you drain your catch can back into the engine, you are recirculating oil with gas vapor in it back into the oil.
I agree, but am still interested to see how effective this setup would be alone. If it isn't good enough the valve cover could always still be modified.
I think the provent 200 does a pretty good job of separating all the gas from the oil as it has a replacable filter and an out line that takes the air back to your manifold.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks again dustin!

this is my car in the video, and i was downshifting to 2nd because 3rd would lug to hard with the oil consumption. with the modded cover installed i had more than enough power in 3rd to not downshift! that alone is huge, one less shift! i did not install a catch can with the modded cover either. i have been black flagged during time attacks for my smoke screen, as you can see from the poor teggy that had to drop back.

this isnt a baindaide, it is the solution to the problem. in the offseason my valve cover will be sent off to dustin(rain h8r) to have this mod done.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My only preference to the catch can set up that accompanies this mod is taking the catch cans back to the SC intake.

Is there honestly no real benefit of doing this? It just worries me that without the cans pulling a vac there is a chance of not venting the valve cover sufficiently.

I run 19psi of boost @9200, would the filtered set be enough for this level of boost. My thinking is the high level of boost being run, the greater the chance of the head pressurising?
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
My only preference to the catch can set up that accompanies this mod is taking the catch cans back to the SC intake.

Is there honestly no real benefit of doing this? It just worries me that without the cans pulling a vac there is a chance of not venting the valve cover sufficiently.

I run 19psi of boost @9200, would the filtered set be enough for this level of boost. My thinking is the high level of boost being run, the greater the chance of the head pressurising?
I guess the question would be do you want that oily hot air to be part of your intake charge and going through your supercharger? I gotta believe that two 1/2" lines going to a vented can are enough to keep from pressurizing the head.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM' timestamp='1469127948' post='24021993

I guess the question would be do you want that oily hot air to be part of your intake charge and going through your supercharger? I gotta believe that two 1/2" lines going to a vented can are enough to keep from pressurizing the head.
No & that is the million dollar question.....
Old 07-23-2016, 09:32 AM

They pull vacuum from the factory because they have to.

With forced induction, the boost pressure bleeds past the rings, and the vapor is pushed out of the valve cover. By removing the pcv with a straight fitting, you will have two un restricted outlets. Plenty of breathing
Old 07-24-2016, 01:22 PM

I've ordered some filters so they should be here in a couple of days
Old 07-27-2016, 02:59 AM

First post has been restructured and updated to reflect findings on AP1 covers and information on ideal catch cans.

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification