S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1471637462' post='24043334
Still a great mod, and just saw your you-tube vid the other day, you are a natural for the camera and your car looked great

A question on the drilling(without plate removal). The locations seem to be dead on, as the prove is in the pudding, the mod works. What determined two holes in those three locations? I noted several people made the holes bigger to fit mag pickups, etc. Do you really need two holes in each location? Could you get by with one hole in each location? Half the holes, half the shaving, half the time?
Haha, thanks! I want to redo the video. It was a in the moment video...

I simply followed a DIY I found to solve the issue. Id say spread out and small holes are better than fewer larger holes. The baffle plate is designed to keep oil spraying from the valve train off the vents.
If there is not some hidden ridge on the top side of the plate you get a lot more hole area(was gonna say surface but there is none ) with one large hole than two smaller one. If had one hole that had the same area of two smaller holes the circumference of the large whole is less than the combined circumference of the two small holes, which means you are drilling less for the same drainage area.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

But if the oil isn't heading straight for that one hole I'd rather have two small ones and catch 50% instead of zero. Just my take on it.

Rain h8r where are you located?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:33 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DaGou
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1471662268' post='24043632
[quote name='DaGou' timestamp='1471637462' post='24043334']
Still a great mod, and just saw your you-tube vid the other day, you are a natural for the camera and your car looked great

A question on the drilling(without plate removal). The locations seem to be dead on, as the prove is in the pudding, the mod works. What determined two holes in those three locations? I noted several people made the holes bigger to fit mag pickups, etc. Do you really need two holes in each location? Could you get by with one hole in each location? Half the holes, half the shaving, half the time?
Haha, thanks! I want to redo the video. It was a in the moment video...

I simply followed a DIY I found to solve the issue. Id say spread out and small holes are better than fewer larger holes. The baffle plate is designed to keep oil spraying from the valve train off the vents.
If there is not some hidden ridge on the top side of the plate you get a lot more hole area(was gonna say surface but there is none ) with one large hole than two smaller one. If had one hole that had the same area of two smaller holes the circumference of the large whole is less than the combined circumference of the two small holes, which means you are drilling less for the same drainage area.
[/quote]

Correct. I have not experimented with larger holes. I have maintained the same size holes in the same spots every time. I prefer spread out holes in strategic locations. Yes the holes could be larger if desired but we are comparing apples to apples at this point I feel.

Originally Posted by //steve\\
But if the oil isn't heading straight for that one hole I'd rather have two small ones and catch 50% instead of zero. Just my take on it.

Rain h8r where are you located?
I am located in Waukesha Wisconsin, 20 minutes west of Milwaukee.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

apples to apples is a good thing!
Old 08-26-2016, 01:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I did mine without pulling the baffle as well, greased the bit liberally. Once everything was drilled I de-burred the holes and used a small usb boroscope and tiny flexible magnetic pickup too to make sure it was all clean inside, then I blew it out with shop air and rinse with oil a couple times. Installed it and changed the oil and filter after a quick trip around the block. Seems fine to me.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Since I took the advice from this thread and change my catch can setup from the intake to breathers my oil smoke issues are no more.

I did one full track day and 8 laps of the Nurburgring and only had about 50mm of oil/liquid in my cans

Hopefully I don't have to drill mine now
Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 AM

It Ll depends on the track and speed around the track. Time will tell, but better off to be prepared than not prepared at all.

I have modified 7 or so valve covers this summer. Keep them coming people!
Old 11-07-2016, 04:40 PM

I need to update this with pictures. I forgot to mention the AP1 valve cover baffle plate needs to be modified differently, due to a casting difference when compared to 04-09 Valve covers.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:24 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Catch can = no smoke for me now
Old 12-01-2016, 05:29 PM

I will be updating this thread in a few weeks. I have a handful of valve covers coming in for modification. New pictures, specifically showing were to modify the valve cover on 00-03 covers, vs 04-09 covers. Yes, their is a difference.

So for people who have modified their 00-03 covers based on the pictures in the first post, you have done it incorrectly.

Quick Reply: RAIN H8R V/C MOD. DIY S2K Smoke Screen Fix w/valve cover modification