S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rear BBK options

Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts
Default Rear BBK options

So, in my search for addressing all things maintenance and reliability related, I've been wanting to do a rear BBK to save my wheel bearings and hubs. I figure a BBK with a vented 2-piece rotor will pro-long the life of said components.

My current use will involve quite a bit of street driving and approximately 10+ track days a year. I just sold my DD. It ended up being more of a project car than a DD, which I don't really have time for at this point in life. I do have a second vehicle (a truck). so this isn't my only car

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to a few options.

1. Racing Brake two-piece rotor (http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000-REA...9-p/2145-k.htm)
Pros:
-Uses stock caliper (or is that a con). And retains parking brake
-Uses stock size pads
-easy install/bolt-on
Cons:
-Price ($1033) - it's just a bracket and 2-piece rotors
-Pads need to be shaved down (thinner). Only a problem for the first set - you can swap in new pads left and right of the caliper as it wears down. Problematic for switching compounds though
-Support - RB could discontinue rings. then you're SOL
-Quality/customer service - I've heard of multiple RB failures (including one from a tracking buddy - his failed on the freeway and bled his fluid all over the road. had to use parking brake to stop). RB was not very supportive or helpful following said failure.
-not a true BBK

2. Wilwood kit - (http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...y_Code=Wilwood)
Pros:
-Price ($1250)
-Retains Parking Brake
Cons:
-possible fitment issues (need to DIY some stuff)
-questionable fitment under 17"s

3. J's racing kit (yes they do have one) - http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...e=S2000-BRAKES
Pros:
-Retains parking brake (and stock caliper?)
-better pad option than RB.
-easy install/bolt-ons
Cons:
-Price - $3514?!?! for brackets and 2-piece rotor only
-not a true BBK

4. StopTech kit (322x22mm) - http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...TECH-BBK-HONDA - part number 87-429-002F
Pros:
-Price - $1950
-True BBK
-Fits under 17"s (yes?? 322x22mm rotor)
Cons:
-no rear parking brake
-new kit (the original is a 345x28mm. part number# 83.435.005G.71 - that's what recommended on Stoptech's site) - this kit was just released in May of this year (2014), so not much info on it.

5. Stoptech kit - 83.435.005G.71 http://autoplicity.com/products/5242...brake_kit.aspx
Pros:
-it's a bbk
Cons:
-Doesn't fit under 17"s
-Price - $4000+
-Parking brake delete
-(pretty sure there's no reason to pick this kit over the number 4 option above)

So, parking brake... I really like the smaller stoptech kit, but i'm not so sure i'm ready to give up the parking brake. I almost never use it, and I mean less than once a month use. I always park the car in gear, and leave it like that (no parking brake). That said, I still like having the option. Also, i've heard of on track brake system failures where people do grab the "oh-shit" handle as the only means for slowing/stopping (in addition to some down shifting - just don't blow your motor).

My second choice is the J's kit (since i trust them more than RB), but $3500 is steep for just a bracket and rotors. Replacement rings are $600.

I like the sound of the Wilwood kit too, but I read a thread where there was some caliper clearance issues with the barrel of wheels. There was also a lot more DIY measuring/fitment that needed to be done with shims and spacers. Other misc parts needed to be purchased for brake lines and the parking brake too. It wasn't exactly a "direct bolt-on" everything included kit...

Are there any other options? Did I miss anything? Track use will be HPDE and TT/TA - classing is not a concern. If I ever decide to really get competitive and do any sort of w2w or class racing, I'll probably pick up a spec mitia, spec e30/36, or some other low HP cheap car in H-production or something like that.

Should I just ditch the rear BBK idea, pony up for new rear calipers every 2-3 years? And treat the hubs/bearings as wear/tear maintenance items?
Old 11-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a Wilwood kit on my rear. I think its a 4 piston front kit that I installed on my rear (got it used off ebay for 550$) Works well but I lost my parking brake. Pads literally last forever. I run 17x9 TSW Nurburgring clears without issue (both my stoptechs up front and wilwood in rear)

It is kind of annoying to not have the parking brake but the benefit out weighs the negatives. I'm not worried about no ebrake on track as I am religious about my brake inspection/maintenance.

Any kit you end up with will pay for itself in terms of longer lasting wheel bearings/hubs/pads.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:26 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Cost far outweighs the benefits in my opinion. Duct the rears, spend the money on hubs and bearings instead.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kinda like the idea of getting rid of parking brake as I still can't break habit of pulling it when I get off track . Of course I'm on an open trailer and would be nice to have it for trailer.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

they make a stoptech kit with working parking break. Its a 2 caliper design similar to the NSX kit.

its like 3500 give or take 200.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I've been thinking about this quite a bit as well (a rear "kit") and I've talked with another forum member about possibly doing a rear "kit" similar to the RB kit that uses the OEM rear caliper. One thing I've wondered is durability. Would something like a 14mm vented rear rotor lack durability (be more prone to cracking) vs say a 17mm rotor? Vented rotors usually come in thicker sizes for a reason I'm thinking. Apparently a vented 2 piece rear rotor only solution with an aluminum hat is definitely doable, and likely costs ~$700+. I'm not sure whether that's worth it or not. Creating a bracket and spacing out the OEM caliper likely wouldn't add too much to the cost and is worth it imo.

I like the idea of keeping the parking brake for piece of mind more than anything. I've heard the wilwood parking brake caliper has an issue with the parking brake mechanism, or maybe it's the parking brake cables themselves failing.

I sent an email inquiring about RB rear kit and haven't heard anything back. I thought I saw on their website it's discontinued, but I'm not sure..
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
I've been thinking about this quite a bit as well (a rear "kit") and I've talked with another forum member about possibly doing a rear "kit" similar to the RB kit that uses the OEM rear caliper. One thing I've wondered is durability. Would something like a 14mm vented rear rotor lack durability (be more prone to cracking) vs say a 17mm rotor? Vented rotors usually come in thicker sizes for a reason I'm thinking. Apparently a vented 2 piece rear rotor only solution with an aluminum hat is definitely doable, and likely costs ~$700+. I'm not sure whether that's worth it or not. Creating a bracket and spacing out the OEM caliper likely wouldn't add too much to the cost and is worth it imo.

I like the idea of keeping the parking brake for piece of mind more than anything. I've heard the wilwood parking brake caliper has an issue with the parking brake mechanism, or maybe it's the parking brake cables themselves failing.

I sent an email inquiring about RB rear kit and haven't heard anything back. I thought I saw on their website it's discontinued, but I'm not sure..
Are there any other OEM Honda rear calipers that are larger than ours? RL/NSX/etc
Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Topplayer
they make a stoptech kit with working parking break. Its a 2 caliper design similar to the NSX kit.

its like 3500 give or take 200.
Part number? Links? Thanks!

(I made sure to link all products in my post so people know what i'm referring to).
Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 AM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

The biggest reason that I did not go with the Wilwood rear kit is the lack of pad selection.

I have a 4-pot rear Wilwood setup, probably the same setup as s2000ellier and it has worked very well. I did lose my parking brake, which I do miss, but since I track the car more than I street drive, I liked the benefits of a better setup in the rear and keeping everything cooler. My rear lug nuts used to loosen after a session on track, now they do not.

When I was pressing in the inserts, I accidentally warped one of the brackets that make everything work with Wilwood OTS parts. I sent the bracket off to be copied and had more made (the person who copied it can make them again). Everything is relatively cheap. $120 calipers, $30 rings, I can't remember what the hats cost (front hats to an RSX BBK), and a wide selection of cheap pads.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive also been looking at the StopTech rear BBK, the 345mm kit with E-brake. There are a few questions: What kit is recommended in the front? their 328mm or the 355mm? Also there are no templates available on their website for the caliper so clearance is unknown. I attempted to get the answers from Stoptech but didnt get much info from them. would be nice to know more, about the new kit

Quick Reply: Rear BBK options