S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Rear Brakes wear out first?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brakes wear out first?

Is this something that's just a percularity of S2000's? After two track days, I still had ~half of my pad left on my fronts, while my rears wore down to bare metal. OEM pads.

On my integra that I tracked, I went through fronts 2-3x as fast as the rears. My S2K's behavior seems completely backwards seeing how usually the front brakes do 70-80% of the braking.

Does this car apply the rear brakes first to minimize squat? Or is there a lack of cooling for the rears? Or is this common with RWD cars? Anybody else experience this?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends. Really.

The rear brakes do less work, but they sometimes tend to run hotter. So it depends on the pads, your braking technique, how much cooling you have, how hard the track is on brakes, etc.

As I changed pad compounds over the years, I would find that some setups were harder on the rears than the fronts, and others were harder on the fronts than the rears.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My OEM rear pads also wore out first from track events. I think that's typically because the rears don't get as much cooling as the fronts.

Setup: OEM all around Motul RBF600 or ATE fluids used.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 AM

hmm, that does seem strange to me.

I cannot counter mikegarrison's logic or experience with varying setups, however I've gone through many compounds (except stock, I've never tracked OEM pads) and I've always seen a 2-6X ratio of front to rear.

It varies a lot based on track, but I've never even come close in this car to the rears wearing at even a 1-1 rate.

Are you getting good braking, or does it somehow seem weak or compromised? are the pads wearing evenly from side to side?
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

If your front brakes are ducted it's pretty normal for the front and rear rotors and calipers to be at the same temp by the time you get back to your parking spot and read their temps. The cool down lap with the ducts pulls a lot of heat from the front brakes.

I know this doesn't really address your stock rear pads wearing faster and my only suggestion is the rear calipers are dragging the pads which will prevent them from cooling down on the straights.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:51 AM

This just happened to me as well after my 2nd track event (with a number of autox events previously). The rears are totally worn, fronts have lots of life. One thing a friend suggested is that the fluid has bubbles that caused the fronts to operate less than optimally, thus shifting more of the work to the rear. Does this make any sense?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 AM

So that's two other votes for OEM compound rear pads wearing out first. Sounds like its just a weird pad compound.

I just switched to CarboTech AX6 pads (initial bite FTW), so I guess we'll see how they will wear in comparison.

Clark,
Braking felt fine for stock pads. no pulling, even wear.

Robrob,
I don't have any aftermarket ducting for the fronts, just the OEM vented front rotor. You bring up a good point on dragging brakes, but both rear pads wore down evenly. Unless both calipers crapped out on me, I think its unlikely.

Philbert,
If you were getting bubbles in the lines, you would be getting a squishy pedal feeling. But I suppose it could be possible.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:38 PM

Not that this is a very large sample size, but within this thread, those experiencing faster rear pad wear have AP2s while those who haven't drive AP1s... something to this, or just a coincidence?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think our cars have a rearward bias.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 PM

Nice observation philbert,

That in combination with tracking a pad (OEM) that has no business being tracked by anybody but a total novice driver, and we may have something.

spets sounds like he's turned enough laps in his life that he could easily be destroying OEM pads with heat.

Quick Reply: Rear Brakes wear out first?