S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Reducing Bumpsteer in an AP1

Old 06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
BKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing Bumpsteer in an AP1

Hi guys,

I am looking the track the s2 in a short while. However, i cannot afford the BSK at the moment. I am looking to find alternative solutions to the bumpsteer issue with my setup for now instead. All this is to ensure that I have a safe time on the track without the BSK.

So, what do you guys recommend to alleviate the problem? I have a set of KW v3 coilovers that I have not yet installed. I am debating whether to install this or not. Is there a way to reduce the bumpsteer through suspension tuning?

Or, would the lowered ride height of the car make the bumpsteer issue even worse? I will try to set the car at a ride height that is closest to stock height as possible, as I dont believe the coilovers will let me retain the stock height.

I read somewhere before that race miata has done something to his car to alleviate the issue even running without adjustable dampers, but can't seem to find the thread.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all in advance
Old 06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. There are now 2 bsk kits available and ours it cheaper.

Its not a problem of suspension damping its a problem of geometry.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:41 PM
BKL

Thanks Rylan for the reponse.

I have another question that is similar in nature. As I have heard that the s2 is very tail happy on the track, will the KWs help with this? I am thinking of dialing the rear softer with respect to the fronts.

Will this give me a more neutral control with more traction in the rear?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Administrator

you should stop listening to who ever told you that.

get a good alignment and run the shocks at the kw sugested settings.

-Rylan
Old 06-24-2006, 07:32 PM
BKL

Rylan, so would you recommend me install the KW for the first time out on the track with the s2?

Or do you think running everything stock first time would be more ideal.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Administrator

you have the kw's no reason not to install them. had you asked before hand I would have encouraged you to stay stock for your awhile. The stock shocks are better than most drivers.

The KW's are great too and definately faster than stock.

-Ry
Old 06-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you should stop panicking and relax. Many a bone stock has been driven on the track and survived. You can put the KW's on but maybe since you have the chance you should run the stock suspension first then install the KW's so you know what the difference is?

The BSK will make you faster at some tracks but it depends on the track as to how much. The BSK will help the most when the suspension is compressed sharply like dips. If you find the car compress in depressions and feel a bit unstable to the point where you might take it a bit easy then that's where the BSK is going to help the most. On a flat track its benefits will be negligible. The BSK also helps if you play around with your suspension settings particularly rear toe. It makes the adjustment much easier.

Unless you are driving 10/10th I don't see it doing much for you. Track first then modify not the other way around. It will save you a lot of money.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM
BKL

Advice Taken. I will try the car in stock form first, then go from there. It is unlikely I will push the stock car to its limit on the first time out in this car anyways.

Thanks Rylan and Erik for the contributions.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:43 AM

I think you guys are making people paranoid about bump steer.

I had no problems racing in T2 (BSK not allowed) with stock springs (meaning lots of travel and any associated geometry change that comes along with that) and the car was a complete blast to drive.

I'm not saying a BSK wouldn't make it better or faster, just that people seem to be thinking that it's required to even think about taking your car to the track.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Reducing Bumpsteer in an AP1