S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Replacing

Old 10-07-2002, 09:27 AM
jzr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pierre'stook

Alternatively, even though you may not have done this mod, what are your thoughts on the matter ?

Admittedly, the most obvious, as well as the SCCA stock-class autocross legal, modification is to increase the stiffness of the front swaybar, but reducing the rear stiffness would have effects along the same lines.

Pierre
Thought this would have been mentioned by now, but that mod is in no way legal for stock. It would fit fine under the Street Prepared update/backdate clause for ASP. The only way it could be stock legal is if the '02 part supercedes the '00-'01 part as the proper replacement, like the '02s clutch as part of TSB-055. Since springs and a host of other things are different between years, I don't believe that's going to happen.

Sorry Pierre, ante up and get a front bar. The car works great with one!
Old 10-07-2002, 09:41 AM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]pll, could you post the quote from Milliken that says more bar is good for rough road tracking?
Old 10-07-2002, 04:26 PM

jzr,

Admittedly, the most obvious, as well as the SCCA stock-class autocross legal, modification is to increase the stiffness of the front swaybar, but reducing the rear stiffness would have effects along the same lines.
Put another way, I was trying to say(english is not my first language) that changing the front bar was legal for stock and was therefore the most obvious modification but that you could obtain similar results by changing the rear bar(without it necessarily being legal).

On the other hand, I do not participate in SCCA Solo 2 so I am not preoccupied with the legality of this modification. What I was (still am) looking for is a simple method to reduce this car's tendency to oversteer, on the track, without paying too high a price in terms of negative side effects(body roll, responsiveness, etc.) and actual cost (the rear bar here is +/- 135 $US).

Pierre

P.S. your car has a great attitude
Old 10-07-2002, 05:57 PM
jzr

Cool - now that you mention it, I did sort of assume you meant to make the change for autocross.

As for how the car would work with less bar, let's not jump to the conclusion that it'd be a big minus. I know of a "pretty good" road racer type who, between two different track days, found his car was more predictable and handled better (resulting in better lap times) on the second day, and he couldn't explain why. He later found that between the two days, the nuts on his rear swaybar endlinks had come off, resulting in effectively zero rear bar.

I don't think such a setup would work well for autocross or any track where there's second-gear-speed corners or quick transitions - but at a big, fast track (like Willow Springs) less rear bar could be beneficial.

Still, I think I'll stick with a big front bar and all my endlinks securely fastened...
Old 10-08-2002, 12:43 AM

I swapped the '00 bars for the '02, and, even with limited experience, it is obvious that the car doesn't hop as much on bumpy corners, and it's easier to power out without jerkiness. There is, as expected, a little bit of additional body roll. However I've got stiffer stocks and springs so overall the car corners pretty flat.

The stiffness of the '00 '01 bars has been a source of complaint in many reviews around here. Spoon, if you notice, markets only softer bars, and when I recently inquired in Japan about the Mugen bars I was told they were no longer selling the stiffer variety.