S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Brake Fade on Track

Old 10-17-2017, 12:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
When u start snapping rotors every track session is a good hint.
....that you need a better cool down procedure.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
....that you need a better cool down procedure.
If you have to worry that much about a cool-down procedure, than the parts are not robust enough. Or have little to no safety factor. Whichever way you want to look at it. Can you imagine if proper race cars had to worry about cracking rotors every time they came in for a pit stop?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
If you have to worry that much about a cool-down procedure, than the parts are not robust enough. Or have little to no safety factor. Whichever way you want to look at it. Can you imagine if proper race cars had to worry about cracking rotors every time they came in for a pit stop?
Pit stops take seconds. Race cars have upgraded race car parts.

We're talking a street car with stock rotors, race pads on a race track for 30 minutes, no cool down lap and parking it for 2 hours.

If you're cracking a stock rotor EVERY SESSION, you're doing something wrong. Do a cool down, add ducting or go to a BBK.

Last edited by freq; 10-17-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
I'd like to bring up something that has been bothering me as I read this thread. All of these brake fluids have high boiling points when dry. Seems to me that if the caliper is getting hot enough to boil fluid, then going to an even higher boiling point misses the big picture issue that the brake system just doesn't have enough thermal capacity for that situation. I have to think that wheel bearings are going to have issues sooner. Maybe also the ball joints will see shortened life. And how long will the caliper seals last?

Seems like this is a recipe for significant additional maintenance and perhaps catastrophic failures on the track.

I'm assuming that we're talking about HPDE events and not class racing with rules that limit changes. So at what point do you give up on the stock calipers and go BBK? To be clear, I am usually not an advocate for BBK. In my case, I am running Girodisc and URGE rotors along with DTC-60 pads in stock calipers. I have 2.5" ducts at all corners. This gives me enough thermal capacity for the tracks near me - and I'm at altitude so air doesn't cool as efficiently here. Of course, it's hard to compare the effects of different tracks so I realize the limitations of saying that because my setup meets my needs, that it should work for everyone else (I know it won't).

Just wanted to raise this issue of looking at things in a more holistic manner especially as far as reliability is concerned.
Essentially, treat the root cause as opposed to the symptoms.

Originally Posted by Mig233
I think the even bigger take away here is that the dry boiling point is basically theoretical. As soon as the seal is broken on a new bottle of brake fluid it becomes contaminated since we don’t live in a vacuum. That seems to be why Castrol SRF is far and away the best...all dry boiling temps are relatively close. SRF has the highest wet boiling temp by over 100 degrees.

Im trying to get some info on how frequent the brake fluid should be bled/flushed for different fluids.
I've always focused on wet boiling points as all brake fluid will absorb moisture at some point. It's hygroscopic and no system is always perfectly sealed.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MatosS2k
Essentially, treat the root cause as opposed to the symptoms.

I've always focused on wet boiling points as all brake fluid will absorb moisture at some point. It's hygroscopic and no system is always perfectly sealed.
Yeap! Wet boiling point is the more important factor. Dry boiling point is a sucker's bet.

Castrol SRF
or
Torque RT700 / Prospeed RS683
Will blow your mind away in terms of performance and they set themselves apart from the rest of the garbage
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by licelsior
im using RBF660 with PMU CR pads and i love them so far. I had Hawk HP plus before and hated them when I did my first event at Watkins Glen.
I wouldn't bother with the 660, it's worse than their 600

As for CR pads, it's probably not a fair comparison to the Hawk HP+; it's like comparing a Michelin Super Sport to a Bridgestone RE71R
Old 10-19-2017, 06:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
ferodo DS2500s are pretty crappy pads

don't take my word for it, it's right on their website:
Ferodo Racing Official Website - DS2500 (H)
Yeah, I've seen that before and I don't disagree with you, but from my experience with (2) sets of them, they are perfect for the first 10 minutes, but then drop off pretty quickly, requiring a cool-down lap. If I had those same first 10 min characteristics for the entire 20-25 min session, it would be fantastic.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long due update. I switched to the Project MU ClubRacer pads for the summer and the brake fade issue did resolve compared to my old XP10/8 setup. FYI I also run stock calipers, front brake ducting to center of rotor and still used RBF600. Will try SRF fluid for the coming summer.

Only thing I have yet to try to improve (if possible) is the brake pedal firmness/decreased pedal travel. I have always just bleed the brakes with RBF600 but hasn't really changed anything. For the next season I was going to try a few methods:

1. Hold pedal depressed overnight with a block - to remove air bubbles with pressure
2. Master cylinder bleed via robinette method
3. Installing a brake master cylinder brace

Anyone have experience with Master cylinder bleed in the car by hooking a fitting to ABS unit? I did try this once a couple years ago but didn't complete since when I depressed the brake pedal, tiny bubbles from recycled fluid would sit in the master cylinder. And since the bubbles don't clear rapidly I was worried that I would keep reintroducing bubbles into the system making the procedure useless. I was thinking of use cheap fluid to do it again and be more patient waiting for bubbles to rise with each pump. I was pretty sure my connections were air tight.

Last edited by Xene; 12-31-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Gravity bleed it. It's the shit.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
Long due update. I switched to the Project MU ClubRacer pads for the summer and the brake fade issue did resolve compared to my old XP10/8 setup. FYI I also run stock calipers, front brake ducting to center of rotor and still used RBF600. Will try SRF fluid for the coming summer.

Only thing I have yet to try to improve (if possible) is the brake pedal firmness/decreased pedal travel. I have always just bleed the brakes with RBF600 but hasn't really changed anything. For the next season I was going to try a few methods:

1. Hold pedal depressed overnight with a block - to remove air bubbles with pressure
2. Master cylinder bleed via robinette method
3. Installing a brake master cylinder brace

Anyone have experience with Master cylinder bleed in the car by hooking a fitting to ABS unit? I did try this once a couple years ago but didn't complete since when I depressed the brake pedal, tiny bubbles from recycled fluid would sit in the master cylinder. And since the bubbles don't clear rapidly I was worried that I would keep reintroducing bubbles into the system making the procedure useless. I was thinking of use cheap fluid to do it again and be more patient waiting for bubbles to rise with each pump. I was pretty sure my connections were air tight.
unless your pedal is complete mush, you're prolly just at the limit of the stock caliper stiffness and rotor cooling capacity. Caliper flex can contribute to pedal firmness/travel. the limit of rotor cooling transfers heat to the pad which in turn becomes compressible and therefore makes for a bit more mush in the pedal.

As as far as fluid goes, as long as it's fresh, you're not gonna really see a difference between Motul and other high quality fluids.

the only thing short of a BBK I can think of that might help is a Master Cylinder brace. And stainless brake lines if you don't already have those.

Quick Reply: S2000 Brake Fade on Track