S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is s2000 missing steering feedback?

Old 11-10-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the new civic si and RSX have it also.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:47 AM

It is true, you can't feel anything if you are holding onto the wheel so firmly you are using it to stay in the seat, but still, the electronic powersteering is the core of the issue, that is in my mind what robs the car of its feel. And as I said before, this is the one thing I don't like about the car on the track.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by robinson,Nov 10 2004, 10:08 PM
the new civic si and RSX have it also.
But keep in mind even with EPS those two FWD cars are always going to give more "feel" in the wheel because you have the power in your hands, literally.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The steering rack bushings are extremely soft on the S2000.
Have someone turn the car on and turn the steering wheel back and forth while you stand in front of the car with the hood open and watch the steering rack. It moves a lot. This is exaggerated with grippier tires.
This compliance kills road feel.
The 2004/05 has slightly stiffer rack bushings. Mugen also sells stiffer rack bushings. I think J's Racing sells solid aluminum rack bushings.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:11 AM
RL7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the power steering is electronic (EPS) couldnt we change some of the values in the software to help this situation?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 AM

GEARHEAD, nice contribution!
Old 11-11-2004, 07:47 AM

Steering feel is really important to me, and I agree with the posts. The S2k steering is very precise. There isn't much slop and the way the whole car is engineered it turns in really quickly and feels very responsive.

But it does lack feedback and communication to the driver. There isn't much kickback over bumps. Some may view this as a good thing, as the S does track very straight over uneven surfaces. But whenever I grab my mom's E30 3 series I'm amazed by the little messages it sends me every time I go over the bots dots.

But I have determined is the biggest difference between the S2k and other cars. If you have ever driven a manual steering car, you'll notice it's very light when you are just cruising and there is no load on the front tires. But start to push the car, and the steering will weight up a lot in corners and on the brakes. It's like a load sensor, telling the driver how much of the available grip is being used. If the tires break loose, the steering will suddenly go light.

On any car with P/S, the difference in effort due to load is smaller, but usually still there. On the S2000, the effort of the steering is almost identical no matter what you are doing- driving thru a parking lot or driving at the limit. I have noticed this in back to back drives with several other cars.

So I think it boils down to 2 issues. The S2000 steering is quick, precise, and direct in the way it converts driver inputs to steering response. But it is not chock full of feedback.

Peter
Old 11-11-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a fuse or wiring harness that could be disconnected that would kill power to the EPS and not affect anything else on the car? It would be interesting to see if driving with no power steering improved feel.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 PM

no, you want power steering...even Michael Schu uses it

its the variable assist and electric part that probably blows

swap in an RX-7 rack and let me test it....its supposed to fit
Old 11-11-2004, 12:27 PM

stiffer bushings will probably just add harshness and more kick back....and still have little feel...ok for traack...sucky for street

Quick Reply: Is s2000 missing steering feedback?