S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Upgrades..

Old 08-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 Upgrades..

Ok so here is the deal, we have a 2000 model S2000..
At the moment we simply have Slotted front and Rear Rotors, strut brace and sway bars and running Semi Slick Formula R tyres..

Looking for the next obvious mods to get this thing quicker on the track, my first thought is suspension, coil overs or adjustable suspension, and maybe different or reflashed ECU.

What sort of suspension setups are you guys using in your race cars and are they still suitable for Daily Drivers, maybe by having somthing similar to Tein EDFC so can swap around (i do realise this only adjusts damper etc not height or camber)

Whats the best way to go about ECU changes, does it need changing?

Is CAI and Exhausts providing much help and good gains?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 AM

I would put an 02-03 ecu in and get a VAFC for about $500 or if you have $1000+ to spend get an AEM
Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 AM
IMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the 02-03 ECU allow over the '00?

--kC
Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Runs a little leaner especially up top.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OP spend some time using the search engine here on s2ki. You will be able to find the answer to all of your questions. IMO you need to take the car to the circuit and spend some time getting to know the car in its stock form first (if you have not already done so). You need to make the determination on what types of modifications you want to do in order to "go faster". In other words why is the car slow???? You should do some research on what types of modifications have been done to the different cars running in the S2000 Challenge. That will give you a good idea of what the popular type of modifications are. I can tell you that maybe only 1% of those cars have made any changes to the stock ECU (including changing it out to another year OEM ECU). If you ask me......you've already been given really bad advice. Do your own research and formulate your own opinions based on what you need to go faster instead of just blindly following others opinions. You'll build the car you want and won't waste your money.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^concur in full.

Spend the mod money on track time and see where the car is being hampered most, then mod.

seat time = more hp than any mod imo
Old 08-04-2009, 06:27 AM

I have spent about 2-3 years racing the S2000 in super sprints etc, so i have had a fair bit of experience driving it on the track.

I was mostly thinking about suspension upgrades.

I guess im thinking, the standard S2000 suspension is fairly good, but is it possible to get good improvements on this without spending $4K on a top line set of say coilovers, do lower range ones have much benifit over stock. I dont want to spend $2K on a set of Teins if they are only slightly better than stock, same goes for exhausts or other mods.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^there are a few coilovers in the 1200-2000 range that will significantly improve suspension response and handling.

I run the Bilstein PSS9 and love them. They are great for the street and track unless you are uber hardcore.

exhaust you will get more from audible bliss and some weight savings.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:40 AM

Cheap way is to keep OEM suspension but upgrade to 08 CR springs. About $200-300. I personally run 05 OEM suspension with SWIFT springs (allows me to lower the car) and enjoy it as my S is a week-end / track car.

Also i totally agree with Ro.ok, check out the settings of the S2K challenge racers, some really knowledgeable guys there.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=11&t=665071

I had Tein Flex with EDFC but realized quickly checking the other STREET class racers that a WING was preferred over coils. (i had to since i couldn't have both and still be in Street class point wise).
I did so and loves the way the car is behaving on the track!

-Cat back exhaust just because the OEM is so heavy, 40+ pounds. (Greddy Ti-c 70mm or T1R V1/2/3 SINGLE).

-AP2 wheels all around (255) on Nitto NT-01

-Comptech air filter

But that my .02 and i'm a noob...

Cheers,

22B
PS: and of course shed some weight (steering wheel, passenger airbag, seats (passenger removal), CF hard top / CF hood / CF trunk / battery / a/c and radio).
Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend your money into a good set of coilovers, wide tires/rims, good set of brake pads.

KWv3/HKS anything with around 12K and under is good for both street and track.

But seriously if you're running R-comps, you're going to need something stiff as you know. both KWv3 and HKS will do well

Quick Reply: S2000 Upgrades..