S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 Upgrades..

Old 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by frog_a_lot,Aug 3 2009, 09:30 PM
Ok so here is the deal, we have a 2000 model S2000..
At the moment we simply have Slotted front and Rear Rotors, strut brace and sway bars and running Semi Slick Formula R tyres..
I'm not sure what "super sprints etc" is (autocross or something? Sorry, I couldn't find info in my quick search), but if these are your mods than the other guys are right, you have not been given good advice so far.

Rotors are a consumable part on this car, and will only last. Stock style rotors will last you longer than (and for all anyone has shown, perform just as well as) anything with slots or holes in them.

Also, a front strut brace on this car is useless, particularly on stock suspension. The car does not have struts, it has dual a-arms with a shock tower. The horizontal load is carried through the a-arms. In the front of the car, both the upper and lower a-arms are connected from the left side to the right side through thick chassis members. You are just adding on dead weight, even if it's not much, through the addition of the bar.

The front sway bar, assuming it is stiffer, is a good choice to correct the inherent oversteer in the stock suspension. Just remember that you have the bar in when considering spring rates if you get new suspension, as a lot of the predefined packages come with spring rates assuming you are starting from stock.

Sticky tires are obviously a good choice!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched springs for OEM shocks theres not much but the CR springs are an option. If you can find them old KG/mm DR21 race springs are about 500lbs. I put them on OEM shocks I was a lot faster. The only other suspension thing is a saner bar I already had on there.
The KG/mm's lowers the car 1.5" so I dialed in a lot more camber which certainly helped to
Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supersprints are basically time trials, not autocross. Its basically you go on the track with another 10 or so cars with a few seconds inbetween you and you are racing against the clock not each toher, so yeah basically time trials, 4-5 laps at a time.

As for rotors, it did actually make my lap times quicker, i guess because they work better once we had done a lap or 2 and they where warm, brake pads helped as well with being able to brake later.

As for strut brace, i miss wrote, it actually has a chasis type brace, like a cross brace under the car, shaped like an X from memory, and a rear sway bar. Did notice that after these mods the car was much more tail happy.

Edit: Someone mentioned KWv3s, but do they have an external reservoir? Since the stock suspension has an external one wouldn't it be better to go with some coil overs that do as well.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

frog a lot, and others

It sounds like super sprints is what we would call in the US either HPDE (high performance driving event) or just generally 'track days' if merely for personal fun, comparison and improvement, or Time Trials if it's actually competitive with a sanctioning body for official times and standings.

Just a regional misunderstanding it seems.

As for the advice above, I cannot agree more with the second set of guys who called BS on the first set.

I'll go out on a limb and say unequivically, you did not see better lap times because of those rotors (if they were stock sized and with stock brakes). You had a placebo effect.

The KWv3's are coil-overs with external reservoirs, slightly stiffer springs than stock, adjustable perches for ride height, and unlike some similarly priced but not so good shocks the adjustment range is both truly noticeable and wide. They are an excellent choice if you cannot go over @ $1,900 US and/or want a still very street-able track car.

If you have enough time under your belt in this car that you cannot improve via driving, and in similar conditions your lap times only vary by a few 10ths per lap, then you should be able to describe to us what behaviour you want to alter first. Be detailed, this group feeds on detail.