S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2000 vs C7 Z06

Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
Default S2000 vs C7 Z06

Crazy how much difference driving a bit better makes. Still, I don't think I should have kept up the way that I did, pretty sure he was going easy. On a side note, I really need to work on my downshifting, watching that video just realized that I was nearly overreving when going into 2nd. I just thought it was my combo of brake and downshift in those corners, but I was still too fast for 2nd.

Last edited by bgoetz; 07-06-2017 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
S2000_916 (07-12-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Crazy how much difference driving a bit better makes.
Agreed!

Old 07-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

something that i've been keeping in mind that i heard a long time ago,

"straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers"

I remember my 2nd or 3rd track event, had an instructor in a miata pass me up. but to get a point by from a GTR (my still dream car), that was a new experience. I'm still working on downshifting and heel-toeing. Once I got my SRP pedals installed, it was become way easier to do it, and I dont know why I didnt do it sooner. It was really killing my times and lines by not downshifting/braking efficiently.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks fun! There is nothing better than driving efficiency. Nothing better then coming back to the pits and popping the hood with another driver that is expecting to see a blower or turbo. "Oh it's mostly stock???"

Last track day, another driver with an Elise was absolutely convinced the S2k has a higher power to weight ratio than an Elise. We were going the same speed all day, and all he kept talking about was the HP advantage I had.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM

There was an exige there that I was passing quite handily. The thing is, it was the advanced group, so you would think they would be a bit better with their cars. It is actually a touch scary as I really assume everyone out there has a higher level of ability, hell we are passing in corners at times!!
Old 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't consider my self that fast, but I usually hang with the higher HP cars in intermediate plus. Having a bit of experience in each class (novice-advanced), what I like most about the advanced class is consistency. There is a range of outright speed, but the traffic seems to flow better. No one is making really super aggressive moves or falling off the race line / flow, or driving pokey. Everyone is focused and dialed in.

I actually feel intermediate is more dangerous than even beginner. The range of situational awareness is vast. Lots of people that tend to find enjoyment in piloting their ultra fast car (GT3/Z06/GTR) at speeds higher then they can really handle. When things go bad, they go bad fast.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
I don't consider my self that fast, but I usually hang with the higher HP cars in intermediate plus. Having a bit of experience in each class (novice-advanced), what I like most about the advanced class is consistency. There is a range of outright speed, but the traffic seems to flow better. No one is making really super aggressive moves or falling off the race line / flow, or driving pokey. Everyone is focused and dialed in.

I actually feel intermediate is more dangerous than even beginner. The range of situational awareness is vast. Lots of people that tend to find enjoyment in piloting their ultra fast car (GT3/Z06/GTR) at speeds higher then they can really handle. When things go bad, they go bad fast.
I agree 100%, everyone in advanced is pretty on top of things. Passes are smooth both ways even in corners. Intermediate gets people that shouldn't be there on both ends of the spectrum.

I am going to give instructing a try so try so they will have Instructor only groups, my hope is it is even better in that respect.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:15 PM

Received 566 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
This. In the beginner group, people are new enough to have some sort of fear and ignorance of how fast their cars can really go through the turns and how late the can really brake.

In the advanced groups, people usually have a better sense of their talents along with what their car can do.

In the intermediate groups, people have lost the fear of being a noob but their talents and awareness isn't quite up to par with how big their balls have grown...
Old 07-09-2017, 04:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

So many new Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs at Pocono this weekend, it's a track that favors high HP cars.

Groups 3 & 4 were combined on Saturday, SO MANY of these cars parking themselves in corners it was scary. No point bys on the straights though, it was both aggravating and funny at the same time. Watching them try to keep that shitty little Honda behind them at all costs.

I got spoiled on Friday when it was just group 4 by ourselves.

Side note, I did see a new C7 start on fire. Rumor was he was running meth .... went home on a flat bed, numbers removed.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by freq

Groups 3 & 4 were combined on Saturday, SO MANY of these cars parking themselves in corners it was scary. No point bys on the straights though, it was both aggravating and funny at the same time. Watching them try to keep that shitty little Honda behind them at all costs.
That is frustrating, I was instructing someone in a E36 M3 and we got the same treatment from a new Mustang. The thing is we caught him so quickly that I am not sure what the driver was thinking. It was like because his car was faster he thought Jesus was going to take the wheel and make it happen. Finally I had the driver put it right in on him in a corner and he got the hint.