S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review

Old 07-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have put a little over 1000 miles of track use on the setup and I haven't had any issues with the hardware itself. No leaks from the bleeders, leaks from the lines, or issues with the rotors. On Sunday, I ran 6 sessions and each session was around an hour (or however long it took me to run through a tank of gas) and I did not experience any brake fade or diminished braking at all. I don't run any brake ducting and I haven't bleed my brakes since installing the kit; I use Castrol SRF for what its worth.

My biggest gripe is the engagement of ABS; it is very easy to engage ABS. I run DTC30 front and rear and while pads contribute tremendously so the situation, I wonder if I have too much bias in the front now since went with the 41MM pistons not 36MM. Until I swap out the pads though, I can't can't fault the calipers. I need to measure how much pad I have left, but visually it looks like plenty.

I would still recommend buying this kit.
The following users liked this post:
SakeBomb Garage (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tut4u2
My biggest gripe is the engagement of ABS; it is very easy to engage ABS. I run DTC30 front and rear and while pads contribute tremendously so the situation, I wonder if I have too much bias in the front now since went with the 41MM pistons not 36MM.
Is this with the stock rear brakes or the SBG RX8 kit? If it's with RX8, that's odd as SBG implies that the two kits were designed to work together. Any chance you can tell which end is going into ABS first?
Old 07-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I have put a little over 1000 miles of track use on the setup and I haven't had any issues with the hardware itself. No leaks from the bleeders, leaks from the lines, or issues with the rotors. On Sunday, I ran 6 sessions and each session was around an hour (or however long it took me to run through a tank of gas) and I did not experience any brake fade or diminished braking at all. I don't run any brake ducting and I haven't bleed my brakes since installing the kit; I use Castrol SRF for what its worth.

My biggest gripe is the engagement of ABS; it is very easy to engage ABS. I run DTC30 front and rear and while pads contribute tremendously so the situation, I wonder if I have too much bias in the front now since went with the 41MM pistons not 36MM. Until I swap out the pads though, I can't can't fault the calipers. I need to measure how much pad I have left, but visually it looks like plenty.

I would still recommend buying this kit.
The DTC30's are the issue... I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend moving to a Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000, they're our new favorite pad from a noise, rotor wear, and torque standpoint. Low dust, good initial bite but not too high... basically the perfect pads and they're quite affordable. They come in a 50mm height as well, where the Hawks only come in 43mm tall so you use more of the rotor.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanielB
Is this with the stock rear brakes or the SBG RX8 kit? If it's with RX8, that's odd as SBG implies that the two kits were designed to work together. Any chance you can tell which end is going into ABS first?
We recommend the larger piston size for use with the rear kit (or if you are planning on adding the rear kit in the future). If you are not planning on running the rear kit we recommend the smaller piston size. We do NOT recommend the small front piston with the RX8 rear conversion kit due to the rear bias increase.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielB
Yes this is with the RX8 rear kit. Like I said, I cannot fault the calipers as I haven't tried another set of pads yet.

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
The DTC30's are the issue... I would HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend moving to a Ferodo DS2500 or DS3000, they're our new favorite pad from a noise, rotor wear, and torque standpoint. Low dust, good initial bite but not too high... basically the perfect pads and they're quite affordable. They come in a 50mm height as well, where the Hawks only come in 43mm tall so you use more of the rotor.
What pads do you recommend for the rears?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:02 PM
Sponsor

Yes this is with the RX8 rear kit. Like I said, I cannot fault the calipers as I haven't tried another set of pads yet.

What pads do you recommend for the rears?
The rears aren't as important... but we are working with Ferodo to make custom RX8 rear pads for us now. In the mean time, we've been happy with Carbotech, Hawk HP+, etc for rear pads... cheap and quickly available.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you advise if there is a wilwood rotor ring that fits the hat? Or post the specs./dimensions of the ring.
Wilwood ​​​rotor ring I'm looking at is 160-7742.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by devildust
Can you advise if there is a wilwood rotor ring that fits the hat? Or post the specs./dimensions of the ring.
Wilwood ​​​rotor ring I'm looking at is 160-7742.
Nope, not compatible. The Wilwood discs are actually pretty poor as far as rings go. We make our own 325x32 directional curved vane disc, and have an optional 325x32 AP Racing Floating disc which is reverse compatible with this kit (upgrade cost is $500 for serious track enthusiasts).
Old 11-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Received 101 Likes on 62 Posts

It's worth mentioning you can get a Stoptech ST40 kit for $1550 all day. It is also worth mentioning they are an OEM grade manufacturer and they custom size the pistons to maintain factory brake balance on the S2000 using the stock rear caliper. The quality of the Stoptech kit is top notch. I have used the Wilwood stuff on Corvettes in the past and they are ok and I have used RacingBrake on S2000s and it doesn't even compare to Stoptech.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I have the SBG AP kit and love it. Seeing as this kit is a less expensive version I am sure it is worth every penny and would be my first choice in this price range. The calipers use the same pads which are giant 20mm thick pads, this alone would make me pick this over the ST kit

Quick Reply: Sakebomb Garage Wilwood Track-Day Brake System Review