S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SFI decertifying *all* Impact Racing products

Old 03-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SFI decertifying *all* Impact Racing products

I'm pissed since I just spent a bunch of money to purchase a set of Impact harnesses and have them installed.

March 26, 2010 - NOTICE OF DECERTIFICATION; NOTICE TO CEASE AND DESIST AND TERMINATION OF ALL CONTRACTS OF PARTICIPATION ISSUED TO IMPACT RACING

SFI Foundation, Inc., has issued a Notice of Decertification; Notice of Cease and Desist, and a notice terminating all Contracts of Participation to Impact Racing. Effective April 27, 2010, all products manufactured and/or distributed by Impact Racing pursuant to SFI Specification Programs 3.2A, 3.3, 16.1, and 16.5 are decertified. Evidence obtained by SFI shows that over a period of years Impact Racing has engaged in the production and use of counterfeit SFI conformance labels and patches, and affixed them to Impact products for use in motorsports. Under the Contracts of Participation between SFI and Impact, SFI conformance labels and patches may only be obtained from SFI and no other source. Evidence shows that Impact had counterfeit SFI labels and patches made in Asia and then affixed them to Impact products it distributed to members of the racing community. To SFI’s knowledge, Impact never advised its customers that its products contained phony SFI labels and patches. Impact never advised SFI of its systematic and longstanding practice of counterfeiting and distributing SFI patches and labeling.

Impact has been directed to cease and desist from this practice. SFI has directed Impact to immediately notify all affected customers to remove the counterfeit labeling and to offer the affected customers a full refund of the purchase price. SFI is requesting that all counterfeit conformance labels removed from Impact products be sent to SFI.

SFI has elected not to decertify these products immediately in order to minimize the potential hardships to members of the racing community that have been brought about by Impact’s counterfeiting activities.

SFI has also elected to terminate all Contracts of Participation with Impact Racing effective 90 days from March 24, 2010. Under the terms of the Contracts, either party may terminate the agreements without penalty upon 90 days notice. This means that Impact will no longer be able to participate in any SFI programs after this 90 day period.

SFI has taken these actions in the best interests of the safety and integrity of the racing community. This is in keeping with SFI’s mission and purpose.

For a downloadable .pdf of this notice, please click on the following link: Decertification Notice 03-26-10.
http://www.sfifoundation.com/
Old 03-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow that is some very surprising news! I can't believe such a prominent name would do something like that, I assume they just didn't want to pay to properly certify the stuff...hate to think that the products wouldn't actually pass?!
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait, do the products pass and they just didn't want to buy the actual patches?

I wonder how much the SFI wanted for their patches. It amounts to an additional "tax."

That's what it sounds like from the bulletin.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is about more than just patches - Impact was caught installing counterfeit HANS anchors on their helmets last year:

http://simpsonraceproducts.com/counterfeit...against-impact/

In retrospect it was stupid of me to buy one of their products after that.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:57 AM

Ouch...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I never understood why anyone would buy racing harnesses or other safety equipment from a company called "Impact". Seems like ASKING for it to me!
Old 03-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Mar 27 2010, 02:20 PM
I never understood why anyone would buy racing harnesses or other safety equipment from a company called "Impact". Seems like ASKING for it to me!
Because it was started by Bill Simpson? The same person who started Simpson Race Products?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:15 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I'm aware of that, my point was that it's an unbelievably dumb name for a purveyer of racing safety equipment no matter who is involved.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan,Mar 27 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm aware of that, my point was that it's an unbelievably dumb name for a purveyer of racing safety equipment no matter who is involved.
Can't say something that trivial would enter my mind when making a safety-related purchase. It is funny now that you mention it though!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Very sad news about a man that has been involved with the saftey aspect of racing for years

Quick Reply: SFI decertifying *all* Impact Racing products