S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Shocks upgrade?

Old 06-30-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocks upgrade?

I was at a track weekend last weekend, and I took advantage of the opportunity to ride along during a session with a very good driver in a race-prepared CRX. Ignoring his obviously superior skill, his car didn't lean in the fast corners like mine seems to do. I liked that.

Are there shocks/springs which will give less lean with an '04 S2000 on the track, and still be legal for stock class autocross?

If so, can someone make recommendations, and give me some idea of price and difficulty of installation?

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jun 30 2005, 02:19 PM
Are there shocks/springs which will give less lean with an '04 S2000 on the track, and still be legal for stock class autocross?
Springs can't be changed in stock class. Shocks can. Konis can be had for about $600, but I hear it is debateable how much improvement they are over stock. After that, you are looking at Penskes, Motons, Ohlins, etc. Too pricey for me at $3k+
Old 06-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Or you can look into Zeal!

Tom

- All Items Are Shipped Via FedEx.
- All Orders Are Repackaged To Help Prevent Any Damage Which May Occur During Transit.
- Any Order Cancellation Will Result In A 25% Processing Fee.
- Local Pick-Ups Available. Please Call For Details.
- No Cancellation on JDM Or Special Orders. No Exceptions!
Old 06-30-2005, 06:49 PM

The Zeal units might be a good damper but...

Unless Zeal offers fully customer serviceable double adjustable dampers that retain the stock spring perch location, they're not the right tool for stock class.

I can't emphasize enough how double adjustable shocks that the owner can revalve easily are the key to a championship S2000. Only one car on "off the shelf" shocks finished in the top 10 in B Stock last year... and it was on stock shocks. All of the top 5 BS drivers were on Moton or Penske shocks that are very custom builds.

Andy H.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Ok, so it seems that, if I go to the trouble and expense of swapping out my shocks, I need to go with double adjustable shocks that the owner can revalve easily, such as the Moton or Penske shocks. Does one have to have these custom made and/or custom installed? Does that add to the $3k price tag? Are these usable on a car that is also my daily driver? Are these helpful, harmful or neutral for tracking the car?

It also seems that I must stay with stock springs, if I want to stay in stock class in autox.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does a double or triple adjustible shock really have to be custom-valved? I guess maybe I'm not understanding either the "adjustible" part or the "custom-valved" part.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 124Spider,Jun 30 2005, 07:59 PM
Ok, so it seems that, if I go to the trouble and expense of swapping out my shocks, I need to go with double adjustable shocks that the owner can revalve easily, such as the Moton or Penske shocks. Does one have to have these custom made and/or custom installed? Does that add to the $3k price tag? Are these usable on a car that is also my daily driver? Are these helpful, harmful or neutral for tracking the car?

It also seems that I must stay with stock springs, if I want to stay in stock class in autox.

Thanks.
The cheapest "competition" type double-adjustable shocks are the Moton Clubsports. They start at $3695 without springs (You can't use those for stock class anyway) or pillowball mounts (not good for stock class either). The only option you might consider are the quick disconnects for the remote reservoirs.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jun 30 2005, 08:16 PM
Does a double or triple adjustible shock really have to be custom-valved? I guess maybe I'm not understanding either the "adjustible" part or the "custom-valved" part.
Adjustable has to do with the range and scope of adjustments (compression, rebound etc.).

Custom valving has to do with matching the shock valving to the spring rates so that the car isn't under or over damped.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:36 PM

Koni 2812s

I've been very happy with mine and they are used (and valved to) stock springs.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Forgot about those. Koni makes some nice stuff too.

Quick Reply: Shocks upgrade?