S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

So, how the hell do we become professional race car drivers?

Old 12-21-2000, 05:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Seeing how most of the nascar guys (not that I like nascar anyway)are relatives of other nascar guys (pettys, allisons,rudds, etc..)..

how do us poor folks get a sponsor?

Is Auto-X one route? I guess if you win some regional, then place at nationals?

It seems to cost big $ to campaign any race car (even those stupid little VW rabbits would cost $600+ per race for tires/brakes/entrance/lodging/etc...)

I thought the One-Lap-of-America would be a great way in, but...... the top runners are professionals, who have pre-run all the tracks, leaving zero chance for any novice to win.

Just curious if anyone had a way in.

Scot
Old 12-21-2000, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One way is to start racing Karts when you are six.
or
Your parents invented water $$$$
or
You marry someone with money

I have lots of friends with lots of talent who still scrape for rides.
You don't hear many F1 guys say "Well it all started at an autoX when I was in my mid 20's"
Old 12-21-2000, 08:20 PM

I have spent considerable amounts of time working for/with professional race teams, so I think I can help you understand. Breaking into professional racing is as tougher than any other professional sport. It takes a combination of TALENT, MONEY, CONNECTIONS, and LUCK. All four of these things had better be there, or the chances are almost nill. Even people that have all 4 of the above factors have failed. (I've seen that happen to personal friends of mine)

You have to start out with a decent amount of money, because no-one will sponsor you if you're not a proven winner. Consistently over an extended period of time. Why should they bet their money on an unknown, when there are plenty of 'knowns' available to them? The trick is becoming one of the 'knowns.' This takes money, as you need to race & win at a lower formula to draw attention to yourself. If your name begins to be known among racing circles, you have a shot at sponsorship.

But most sponsorship happens from friend to friend, especially at the lower levels of motorsport. It's a father's company, a driver's own company, a friend of the family's company... etc. That's where the connections part comes in. You need to know important and influential people.

Even then, it's not a sure thing. You need lucky breaks. You have to find the right team or prep shop. There are so many variables. And there are so many career 'paths.' I have seen people get to the brink of success, having the first three factors sealed up, only to have bad luck snatch it away. It is a cruel game sometimes.

But there are a few career paths that seem to make sense, and you have to make sure you don't set goals too high. While it would be nice to get to IndyCars, or F1... it's not gonna happen unless you have been karting as long as you can remember. Basically, a few of the 'ladders' are as follows (from toughest to easiest):

Open Wheel(CART, F1):
Karts-->Formula-Ford-->F2000-->Atlantics-->Beyond...

Sports Cars, Endurance(ALMS, LeMans):
Karts-->Formula-Ford-->Sedans-->Endurance
or
AutoX-->ShowroomStock-->Sedans-->Endurance

Sedans, Touring(World-Challenge, TransAm):
AutoX-->ShowroomStock-->Sedans, Touring

Neal Sapp and Jeff Altenburg are examples of autocrossers who have moved up to SCCA National road racing in showroom-stock, and then graduated to a Sedan series. However, both of them still contribute personal money to the teams. The amounts are all confidential, but they are by no means well-paid professional drivers yet.

Peter Cunningham is perhaps the common racer's most heroic figure. He started in autocrossing and ProRally. He moved up through SCCA road racing to 'Firehawk' and World Challenge. He spent many years running the team with his own business' money. Then he got a break, driving for the BMW team at the 24hrs of Daytona, and he has been a contract driver for them ever since.

There are so many stories, and so many 'paths.' My personal attitude is just to excel at whatever form of motorsports you are doing, always look toward the next 'step' on the ladder, not the top step. Always try to make more money... you can't have enough if you are trying to race. And always keep trying to meet new people in the racing business... trade shows, hang out in the paddocks, etc. The more people that know you, the better the chance you have.

Whew... I didn't really mean to write this much, but it just flowed. I hope some of my experience and writing out my viewpoints helped some of you understand better. It's not an easy road, but if you are talented and determined... never give up.

Old 12-21-2000, 08:35 PM

sheesh jason, sounds like you really know your stuff

i am one of those people that always wanted to be a racecar driver, and i have found that the monthly autox / quarterly open track day has been enough to fullfill my need. it also makes you realize how much hard work it actually does take if you want to be able to professionally compete.
Old 12-21-2000, 11:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jaysonx:
[B]sheesh jason, sounds like you really know your stuff
Old 12-22-2000, 03:10 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Thank you JAson.

Bruce Leitzinger (something like that) is from State College and is always driving in the endurance races (i think in a Ferrari). I like to hear about him just because he is local...but... he owns a car dealership (big $ probably)...

Funcar- how about.."Well it all started at an autoX when I was in my low 30's"

Scot
Old 12-22-2000, 04:43 AM

If you think it's hard in the States try Puerto Rico or any other Latin American country.

All of Jason points apply and are very true. You need a combination of various elements, not just speed.

In my case, it has been very hard because there is limited sponsorship and the "usual" drivers always get the break. Even talented drivers have been turn down because this other guy has been around sometime and knows people.

It really sucks and has happened to me more than a few times.

100% Professional racing doesn't exists here. More like a semi-pro racing since everyone has a main job a do racing as a sideline (no salary).

Driving for a living would be a dream job but I got the second best: Automotive analyst/test driver for a business publication
Old 12-22-2000, 01:01 PM
pfb

Originally posted by Jason Saini:
It takes a combination of TALENT, MONEY, CONNECTIONS, and LUCK.
Same thing I tell my sister who is determined to become a rock star...

Old 12-24-2000, 12:44 PM

Hey all......
I have been beating down this path for a long time now. The main thing is money. I started out in spec racers in 91. then worked on them for regional weekends so I could drive the nationals for free. That got me noticed into the Team Green Acadmey back in 96 and 97. In 96 The where looking at 25 guys(and girls) between the the ages of 18 and 25. they had over 500 applicants (probably more). kenny Irwin Jr was one of the guys in the 25. Well they puts us trough numerous test. to make a long story short I was the fastest of the 25 in 96. In 97 I was second fastest. In 96 I was selected for the final 5 shootout. Not picked. In 97 I was not invited to the final 5.
The two biggest things in racing are Money number 1 and Politics number 2. I was given 2 very good break 98. In 97 I ran spec racer ford for free and was able to runa 94 Van dimen from a friend as long as I paid hotel and tire bill. That year I went to the runoffs in FC and SRF. I was on the pole in SRF and second in FC. Well I won the FC and had poroblems with the fuel system in SRF. In 98 I got a similar deal to runa Formula Atlantic. we went to the Runoffs and brought back another national championship.
But to get into the pro ranks it takes money.(period)
In 99 I was chosen as one of the final 3canidatesfor the DSTP FA pro series. The other two where Bddy Rice and my close personal friend Andy Lally. Well Buddy had the in and got the seat. He went on to win the Championship and now is tesing in europe for the f3000 series.
As far as open wheels seats go. you really have to look at the overall picture. there are probably about 60 real seats in open wheel cars in the pro level(F1,CART,ok even the IRL). Look at hoe many people there are trying to get a chance to even test for one seat.
If the is a team in CART who test 2 guys and lets say the one guy has 6 million to bring and the other does not.......as long as the ^ million is fairly good. the seat will go to him.
One last little sob story. Last year I tested with Chamberlin for the 24 hours of Daytona. I went to the test down at Sebring and was a little nervous. The street vcar sucks and so I did not know what to expect. well to make a long story short, we ran the short track at Sebring. After about 15 laps I was doing 1:08's. By the end of the day I got down to a high 1:02. there where 2 other drivers there and we traded turns driving after about 20 laps or so. One drivers fastest lap was a 1:10, the other was at about 1:08. I was unable to find a sponsor and so I did not race...... but this year I am in.....
Old 12-26-2000, 08:32 AM

Wassup, BJ? Long time no talk to... funny how we keep ending up with the same cars. First the VW's, now S2K. Glad to hear things are picking up... I'll be watching for you at Daytona. Good Luck, man.

-Jason Saini . Chicago, IL (formerly Cincy)
-'01 Spa S2K . A-Stock, Solo2/ProSolo