S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

SPC Upper Camber kit vs. Roll Center Kit

Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SPC Upper Camber kit vs. Roll Center Kit

Hi,

I'm getting ready to install my coilover and wanted to purchase the supporting parts (front bump steer kit & axle spacers). If I already have a SPC upper camber kit, do I still need a roll center kit?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

You don't need a front bump steer kit as the front doesn't have much bump steer to begin with and the OEM tie rod is already spherical.

You don't need a roll center adjuster unless you want to do that to try to limit front roll. Some roll center adjusters also include a static negative camber boost, but you probably won't need that either if you already have the SPC uppers.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Agree, none of those things are really necessary to improve your handling or performance increase that stock wont do. Something that will though is a rear anti bump steer kit to dial out dynamic toe during rear suspension movement. If you want your car to handle more predictably and stay glued to the ground, this is the key, more so if you have an ap1. As far as bump steer spacers for under the steering rack, I am lowered 2" and really didn't perceive any different pre spacers, which surprised me a bit actually due to how swept the toe arms are without them, regardless it brought them closer to parallel and felt was appropriate to reduce the severe angle, if nothing else to help take the lateral loads better to increase their lifespan. So I did them.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-02-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a AP1 an I'm putting on my ohlins. Usage of car will be 50% track duty. So just stick with my SPC camber kit and purchase/install rear bump steer kit and axle spacer?
Old 03-03-2017, 07:59 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by usafstud
I have a AP1 an I'm putting on my ohlins. Usage of car will be 50% track duty. So just stick with my SPC camber kit and purchase/install rear bump steer kit and axle spacer?
Well, you wont need an upper spc camber kit for the rear, because you can get more then enough negative camber then you will need -4+ The front I get -2.5 maxed out with stock adjusters at 13" wheel to hub/approx. 1.8" drop. So you may want the kit for the front if you plan on wanting more front camber then I have. But if its still a street car like mine, that sees some track days, you probably don't want more then -2.5 camber all around or you are going to be flipping tires and or re aligning the car every time you set up for a track day and then get back on the street. The rear bump steer kit is a great move.

Just because you lower the car doesn't mean you need axle spacers right now, these are not a preventative measure. They just solve the inevitable vibration from wear and tear by pulling the spider roller bearings out of the worn cup path. Lowering the car does this to a degree as well. If you plan on keeping the car for a wile and putting a lot of miles on it, you will need them eventually anyway, so up to you if you want to get them now or wait to see if you have any vibration after lowering, chances are you wont if the cups are currently in good shape/lower miles.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:44 AM

It's only a little more work to just flip your CV cups from one side to the other, and that works just as well as the spacers, without needing to buy parts or add weight.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
It's only a little more work to just flip your CV cups from one side to the other, and that works just as well as the spacers, without needing to buy parts or add weight.
That works too, although its a lot more work and messy. Assuming you are smart and get the 2 piece spacers for a 15min job rather then the single piece where you have to remove ball joints and shit. Eventually you will still need the spacers though if you plan on getting the full mileage out of the cups/axles. Just depends on which option you feel like doing first. Eventually you will employ all the methods. The spacers weigh in grams if even an OZ. Not even worth a consideration in my opinion.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 03-03-2017 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
That works too, although its a lot more work and messy. Assuming you are smart and get the 2 piece spacers for a 15min job rather then the single piece where you have to remove ball joints and shit. Eventually you will still need the spacers though if you plan on getting the full mileage out of the cups/axles. Just depends on which option you feel like doing first. Eventually you will employ all the methods. The spacers weigh in grams if even an OZ. Not even worth a consideration in my opinion.
No ball joints for the CV swap, just unbolt the upper arm from the body and lean the hub outward. But yes, the grease is messy (stinky, too).
Old 03-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
No ball joints for the CV swap, just unbolt the upper arm from the body and lean the hub outward. But yes, the grease is messy (stinky, too).
Well we all have our preferred method, but point is, its more work! and yes I hate dealing with that greasy mess!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

The key to the rear bump steer is setting it up, which involves a gauge and knowledge

Quick Reply: SPC Upper Camber kit vs. Roll Center Kit