S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Spec miata

Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spec miata

So Ive been looking more and more at moving to w2w along with TT. In going down the route I've been watching a ton of miata race videos and honestly can't imagine why anyone would want to race anything else.

So far the reasons I've heard are:

Crappy cars lots of failures
Too much money on body parts
Too dangerous
Too expensive, $50k+ to be competitive
Too much about racecraft and not about driving/cars

Wanted to get everyone else's thoughts here. If you're here chances are you choose not to run Miatas just want to get the logic behind it, again looking at SCCA run off and other videos, I don't think ive ever seen something as exciting!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing 4 local races with SCCA next year in Spec Miata.

I've been around it locally for a little while, have watched the full race videos at SCCA Runoffs, and talked with a good friend who has ran one locally for years.

My thoughts:

- Naw. A basic build is quite reliable. But maybe not so for building a ridiculous motor that has a chance of podiuming at the runoffs.
- I think a mid pack guy banging doors everywhere would have that problem. Probably region dependent. Folks race very clean and respectful in New England. I have heard the opposite in other parts of the country.
Too dangerous
- LOL. No more dangerous than any other form of racing. The speeds in spec miata are quite slow to be honest. The only danger would be due to aggressive douches making bad judgement calls and running out of talent. That happens everywhere though.
- It's cheap to run a car regionally and have fun. It's not cheap to build a car with a top motor trying to win the runoffs.
- Having driven SM's on track and in autocross and watching the runoffs videos, there is some truth to this, yes definitely. The cars are very light, on sticky tires, with very little power, making the throttle not a complete on/off switch, but not far from it. From this perspective they are very easy to drive. That said, they are like go karts, in that a minor mistake in the corner can cost a LOT of time on the straight since you aren't really accelerating that well. But the problem with this is that the draft on higher speed tracks/tracks with long straights becomes a big deal. So it's very hard to outdrive someone and build a gap if they can hang on to the slipstream.

It has its Pro's and Con's. My main reason for doing it is that I want to get my competition license, and that it is a relatively low cost way to get out there and be moderately competitive regionally (co-driving with a friend).

As it stands, I have to say, Lemons or ChumpCar is an absolute blast. If you haven't considered that yet, I would recommend it. It's a great way to hone race craft skills, and the lower grip street tires put some good onus on the driver.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

#1 Don't want to own or maintain a Miata.
#2 At the top level it IS about the car and not as much about the driver. See the fiasco that wound up having a whole bunch of the top 10 drivers at the runoffs DQ'd for cheating.
#3 Regionally, T3 runs in the same group as Spec Miata. All the drama without any of the mess.

For me, Spec Miata isn't really Spec (again, see cheating incident).
I would run SRF (Spec Racer Ford) for a truly spec class if I wasn't averse to being crushed in a tin can.

The class that appeals most to me philosophically is something really Spec.

Like MX-5 cup.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/05/2...-cup-official/

Everything sealed from the factory.
But for me, the closest thing to it was SSB (showroom stock) previously and T3 (touring 3) currently
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
I'm doing 4 local races with SCCA next year in Spec Miata.

I've been around it locally for a little while, have watched the full race videos at SCCA Runoffs, and talked with a good friend who has ran one locally for years.

My thoughts:

- Naw. A basic build is quite reliable. But maybe not so for building a ridiculous motor that has a chance of podiuming at the runoffs.
- I think a mid pack guy banging doors everywhere would have that problem. Probably region dependent. Folks race very clean and respectful in New England. I have heard the opposite in other parts of the country.
Too dangerous
- LOL. No more dangerous than any other form of racing. The speeds in spec miata are quite slow to be honest. The only danger would be due to aggressive douches making bad judgement calls and running out of talent. That happens everywhere though.
- It's cheap to run a car regionally and have fun. It's not cheap to build a car with a top motor trying to win the runoffs.
- Having driven SM's on track and in autocross and watching the runoffs videos, there is some truth to this, yes definitely. The cars are very light, on sticky tires, with very little power, making the throttle not a complete on/off switch, but not far from it. From this perspective they are very easy to drive. That said, they are like go karts, in that a minor mistake in the corner can cost a LOT of time on the straight since you aren't really accelerating that well. But the problem with this is that the draft on higher speed tracks/tracks with long straights becomes a big deal. So it's very hard to outdrive someone and build a gap if they can hang on to the slipstream.

It has its Pro's and Con's. My main reason for doing it is that I want to get my competition license, and that it is a relatively low cost way to get out there and be moderately competitive regionally (co-driving with a friend).

As it stands, I have to say, Lemons or ChumpCar is an absolute blast. If you haven't considered that yet, I would recommend it. It's a great way to hone race craft skills, and the lower grip street tires put some good onus on the driver.
Maybe I will check out one chump or lemons. I am running NASA comp school in April, but will just get provisional and won't do a race till later in season. Need 4 for licnese. Who know I may rent a miata for them! SM may be good in my case to develop racecraft skills locally in New England, and eventually compete in s2000 in other classes probably in an NA form at that time....

Or as CKIT adds tap into the new Mx5 series, that does look awesome! I forgot about the cheating, thanks for bringining it back up! Perhaps the spec Miata in current form is on the back side of its racing life, but man seeing videos like this one here just blows my mind!!!

http://youtu.be/8sp6mSSK7g8
Old 01-13-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CKit
For me, Spec Miata isn't really Spec (again, see cheating incident).
I would run SRF (Spec Racer Ford) for a truly spec class

This...

If you want to run a Miata in NASA, I would suggest PTE.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run SSM with the DC region of SCCA. It's a ton of fun and relatively cheap. I don't know where you're located but we have a few people that make the drive down from New Jersey. The only cars permitted are 90-93 Miatas and everybody has to take their car to one of two dynos to have it tuned to the same HP and then it gets sealed. Car counts are consistently above 30 and we had a few last year that were over 40. Two sets of tires can last all year, brakes are cheap, tires are cheap, wheels are cheap. The cars are easy to work on. As far as "top prep" goes I don't think our class is anywhere near spec Miata when talking about a home built car vs a pro built car. I built mine in my garage for 10k including the cost of the car and by the end of my first season (last year) I was usually somewhere between P10 and P15. If cheap and close racing is what your looking for SSM is where it's at. If you search youtube for MARRS SSM you should find some pretty entertaining videos.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
Maybe I will check out one chump or lemons. I am running NASA comp school in April, but will just get provisional and won't do a race till later in season. Need 4 for licnese. Who know I may rent a miata for them! SM may be good in my case to develop racecraft skills locally in New England, and eventually compete in s2000 in other classes probably in an NA form at that time....

Or as CKIT adds tap into the new Mx5 series, that does look awesome! I forgot about the cheating, thanks for bringining it back up! Perhaps the spec Miata in current form is on the back side of its racing life, but man seeing videos like this one here just blows my mind!!!

http://youtu.be/8sp6mSSK7g8
We will have our chumpcar at Watkins Glen in May. Other than NJMP, that might be the earliest chump race close to you. You are welcome to come out and hang with us and observe the process/race up close. We can give you an idea of what it takes to be semi competitive. Last year was our first in chumpcar, so were still learning. However we did manage a couple top tens, including 5th of 80 cars at Road America.

Fwiw, I'm doing NASA comp school at in april too, at mid ohio. For now just planning on PT regionally. Maybe eventually nationals
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't make me post the pictures again...
Old 01-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Show them Mike

I'm thinking if I can get through 10 iRacing races in sm without any penelties I'm going to buy myself a spec Miata
Old 01-14-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
So Ive been looking more and more at moving to w2w along with TT. In going down the route I've been watching a ton of miata race videos and honestly can't imagine why anyone would want to race anything else.

Wanted to get everyone else's thoughts here. If you're here chances are you choose not to run Miatas just want to get the logic behind it, again looking at SCCA run off and other videos, I don't think ive ever seen something as exciting!
If you're looking at doing W2W racing spec miata races are *relatively* affordable, and there's plenty of competition. It's a no brainer imo.

I think the vast majority of folks on this forum don't do W2W racing, and/or don't have any desire to. Real racing is a lot riskier/dangerous undoubtedly than HPDE and TT, not to mention it requires a tow vehicle/trailer/etc. I have heard of a few people move on from doing HPDE's in their s2k to doing spec miata racing. It seems like a natural progression for many. I've watched a handful of youtube videos and know I lack the cojones to bother with W2W racing.

Quick Reply: Spec miata