Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > Special Interest > S2000 Racing and Competition
Reload this Page >

Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Notices
S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM

Liked 68 Times in 56 Posts
Default Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Has anyone messed with splitter diffusers yet? I modeled up and 3d printed a couple that are roughly similar to what Professional Awesome sells: https://professionalawesome.com/prod...iffusers-pair/

I printed mine in two pieces due to the limits of my Prusa.

However, now that I've pulled my splitter and have started considering where they'd fit I think it'll be hard to fit two and maybe one large one in the center is best. Another thing I've done is space the splitter down an inch below the bumper, then fill the gap with garden edging then sealed the bumper/edging to the bumper with tape. I don't want to go the full distance with a full height airdam out of HDPE yet (https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Color...0-Ft,1557.html). I've noticed one particular S2000 has added it lately, and I am guessing it works pretty well.

Ideally, a full height airdam would be used to cover the tire frontal profile, but I will be doing it by riveting a metal support with captive nuts to the bumper edge. Sheet metal attached to the bumper and splitter edge will be used to block the front profile and support the outside of the splitter, rather than using rods.

Anyway, it seems like there isn't much grassroots aero stuff floating around in S2000 world. Has anyone tried anything that has made a noticeable difference, and if so would they mind posting some pictures and going into detail a bit?

Long story short, I am heavily lacking front grip in fast corners while only running my NLR wing at 2* so I've started looking for solutions.

Last edited by Chibo; 01-02-2019 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts

I'll have analysis of something similar on my site pretty soon.

To add even more front downforce, look into dive planes and wheel gurney flaps.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:40 PM

Liked 68 Times in 56 Posts

Excellent, I look forward to it.

I think the dive planes can be a phase two of what I was kind of planning. Phase one was to just block off the frontal area of the wheel, kind of like this. It looks extremely draggy to my eye, but I do not know much about aero, and I am GUESSING it is better than open wheel.

Last edited by Chibo; 01-02-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

We use the PA ones on our car and while I don't have data to show they work, the car does have a lot of grip and the ever reliable butt data logger says they helped.

Another group 3D printed some of these with PLA and had some issues with them melting from the heat under the hood, so that's also something to be aware of.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

if your just going for hpde stuff i did a hammerhead front splitter with end plates and it added a ton of front downforce. the rear edge of the exposed sides i used angle aluminm to act as a gurney flap and over all i went from my j's wing at ~1-2* with still a rear bias to having to bump closer to 4-5* to balance out the feel. i planned to do diffusors but didnt get around to it last season. make sure your splitter can take you jumping on it and some serious load. i talk to mike lewin of professional awesome quite a bit and the diffusors can easily double or more the frontal downforce over a flat blade design. im working on a full fiberglass 3-d splitter for next season and the classing restrains me to a max of 5" from oem body so the hammer head design is getting ditched
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

one other important note is you will be introducing alot more air into your wheel wells. you need to adequately vent off the additional airflow otherwise you will be doing more harm than good. as you can see i have vented the tops of my fenders in preparation for the diffusors that should have been done last season. simply venting the top of the fender will work but ideally you would want more than just one set of small vents to do the job, something like a j's/spoon fender or something along those lines would also aide in the removal of excess pressure
Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

For wheel well venting we did this to our car. We don't know if it's working as expected yet, we haven't done any focused testing, but I think it looks awesome, and if it looks awesome it HAS to be faster. Right?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss View Post
For wheel well venting we did this to our car. We don't know if it's working as expected yet, we haven't done any focused testing, but I think it looks awesome, and if it looks awesome it HAS to be faster. Right?
i took picks at rd.5 because i may steal the idea haha

you also have fender vents up top

fyi cheap fender vents on ebay, look up mustang universal hood vents. they fit pretty well and cost like $16 from china

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...73nX:rk:1:pf:0
Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20 View Post
i took picks at rd.5 because i may steal the idea haha

you also have fender vents up top

fyi cheap fender vents on ebay, look up mustang universal hood vents. they fit pretty well and cost like $16 from china

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-C...73nX:rk:1:pf:0
Steal it. I plan on doing some flow vis testing next weekend to see if it's actually doing anything, I'll share the results good or bad.

We do have boat vents on top. They're ugly, I want to try to 3D print something that looks a little nicer, in black.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:45 AM

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Originally Posted by the-moss View Post
Steal it. I plan on doing some flow vis testing next weekend to see if it's actually doing anything, I'll share the results good or bad.

We do have boat vents on top. They're ugly, I want to try to 3D print something that looks a little nicer, in black.
just buy the ones i linked... its just so cheap to even bother making something lol. i have plans to test something else first. we'll see if it works out. if not the angle grinders coming out

Quick Reply: Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands