S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip

Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Splitter diffusors are no joke. On the DDESS' car that won street class in november SLB, the addition of those tunnels added enough front downforce to shear the sheet metal splitter mounts (replaced with dev sport)

I would run the splitter without them first, and see if you have enough wing first. We found he had barely enough with the type 7 voltex at max angle, which is way more drag than a non boosted car can make use of.

I have had spats on my car for a while. There is a high speed drag advantage for sure.

I would strongly urge you do find your splitter height and drill a locator pin hole for a small self tapping screw through both halves of the devsport bracket. The slide bolts can move and the splitter finding some angle on the track will result in a lot of drag, then the splitter hitting thr ground, then no more splitter.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM

Old 01-03-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Splitter diffusors are no joke. On the DDESS' car that won street class in november SLB, the addition of those tunnels added enough front downforce to shear the sheet metal splitter mounts (replaced with dev sport)

I would run the splitter without them first, and see if you have enough wing first. We found he had barely enough with the type 7 voltex at max angle, which is way more drag than a non boosted car can make use of.

I have had spats on my car for a while. There is a high speed drag advantage for sure.

I would strongly urge you do find your splitter height and drill a locator pin hole for a small self tapping screw through both halves of the devsport bracket. The slide bolts can move and the splitter finding some angle on the track will result in a lot of drag, then the splitter hitting thr ground, then no more splitter.
Thank you for the warning, I drilled some locating holes this evening. Added advantage is it is easier to pull off / put back on since you don't have to mess with lining up some sharpie marks. Also started doing some cardboard aided design for spats. How did you attach yours and what material did you use?
I think I have enough wing, it is a 68" 9Lives with the Emissive endplates. I have a few ideas to test at NASA Arizona Motorsports Park in a week (front will stay as-is plus spats), then I will likely have a couple of front diffusers to test for NASA Chuckwalla in February.

Thanks for the heads-up on the PLA getting melty as well, I definitely printed mine in PLA so I'll print in PETG before attaching anything. I think you are all right that the hood / fender venting is another low hanging fruit area and you're making me reconsider being completely against doing it..... it would be nice to have a car that is one color again.

Dave linked some good videos and I really do think that a curved design that draws from the center area of the splitter and forces air into the tire area might be one of the better options we have based on common existing mount (DevSport) location. I'll draw something up this weekend because I think a large diffuser like I printed can only really be run in single configuration and in the center of the car based on places that they can fit and have an area to deposit air. I'd be curious to see where others have mounted the Professional Awesome ones.

Last edited by Chibo; 01-03-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
Thank you for the warning, I drilled some locating holes this evening. Added advantage is it is easier to pull off / put back on since you don't have to mess with lining up some sharpie marks. Also started doing some cardboard aided design for spats. How did you attach yours and what material did you use?
I think I have enough wing, it is a 68" 9Lives with the Emissive endplates. I have a few ideas to test at NASA Arizona Motorsports Park in a week (front will stay as-is plus spats), then I will likely have a couple of front diffusers to test for NASA Chuckwalla in February.

Thanks for the heads-up on the PLA getting melty as well, I definitely printed mine in PLA so I'll print in PETG before attaching anything. I think you are all right that the hood / fender venting is another low hanging fruit area and you're making me reconsider being completely against doing it..... it would be nice to have a car that is one color again.

Dave linked some good videos and I really do think that a curved design that draws from the center area of the splitter and forces air into the tire area might be one of the better options we have based on common existing mount (DevSport) location. I'll draw something up this weekend because I think a large diffuser like I printed can only really be run in single configuration and in the center of the car based on places that they can fit and have an area to deposit air. I'd be curious to see where others have mounted the Professional Awesome ones.
Strong likelyhood ill be at CVR with NASA in Feb as well.

Are you running TT? If so any splitter features basically stuffs you into TT3. TT4 requires a flat splitter.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo

If you send me your diffuser files and rough estimate of how you're mounting them I can run them in my S2000 model, probably this weekend. Give you a rough estimate of before/after.

PLA can handle about 120 degrees in my experience. You can up that a little by heat treating them in your oven at the glass temp, or even coating them with high temp paint. Since you already have them, throw them on and give it a go.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by roel03
If you send me your diffuser files and rough estimate of how you're mounting them I can run them in my S2000 model, probably this weekend. Give you a rough estimate of before/after.

PLA can handle about 120 degrees in my experience. You can up that a little by heat treating them in your oven at the glass temp, or even coating them with high temp paint. Since you already have them, throw them on and give it a go.
Thank you, PM me your email address and I will send over the full version, rather than chopped up. I also plan to model an L-style diffuser in the next couple weeks.

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Strong likelyhood ill be at CVR with NASA in Feb as well.

Are you running TT? If so any splitter features basically stuffs you into TT3. TT4 requires a flat splitter.
No TT this year for me (most likely), just the UMS Time Attack that runs alongside NASA Arizona. Basically no rules other than 100TW tire and classing is Weight/HP, 10.0 - 14.99 is where I am sitting -- 90hp down or 900lb overweight based on what I have because I am unwilling to ballast for a 'fun' competition.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM

The Viper ACR front splitter ended up with 12 distinct diffusers; Chrysler was a little desperate to get downforce to match the large rear wing.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 560 Likes on 392 Posts

I need some confirmation on appropriate venting locations.

I was thinking of printing a similar large duct like Chibo has and mounting it in the center of my splitter in between some Dev-Sport brackets and having the end of the duct rise vent right in front of my radiator, see pictures below:

Some questions
-Will this create a pressure zone that reduces the effectiveness of my radiator?
-Will venting into the engine bay in front of the radiator negate the downforce effects since it will be venting into an "enclosed" location?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:00 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I need some confirmation on appropriate venting locations.

I was thinking of printing a similar large duct like Chibo has and mounting it in the center of my splitter in between some Dev-Sport brackets and having the end of the duct rise vent right in front of my radiator, see pictures below:

Some questions
-Will this create a pressure zone that reduces the effectiveness of my radiator?
-Will venting into the engine bay in front of the radiator negate the downforce effects since it will be venting into an "enclosed" location?
Don't vent it in front of the radiator, vent it behind the radiator, as far back as possible per rules. Your idea would create a huge leak path that would reduce your front downforce gains, produce a lot of drag, and suck your high pressure air underneath the car instead of through your radiator (reducing effectiveness). The goal is to accelerate the air and reintroduce it into clean flow. We want to move the air away from the high pressure zones, not into it! That is why flat underbodies are so important. With these diffusers, I would try and seal the radiator as much as possible from the splitter.

Right now I have my splitter all the way to the front jacking point. I ran a 15"x10"x3" center diffuser on the rear of my splitter CFD and got 30% more front downforce, with negligible drag penalties (simple model of course).

Quick Reply: Splitter Diffusers / Additional Front Grip