S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Spring rates for very bumpy AutoX?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could. If your running on a smaller lot with tighter elements you may be experiencing driver induced understeer. Most str competitors are running higher r rates. Generally about 8-900 front and 550-700 rear. We run 1000/850 on race tires with motors. Also are you sure you tires are not great cycles out. I would try one of the newer generation street tires such as re71r or rival s
Old 06-01-2016, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly, you need more rear toe.

Then maybe mess with the rear rebound, go up and down to see if it gets better or worse.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much toe?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 AM

Try .5 degrees of total toe in.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:11 AM

Delete
Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 PM

I wanted to give an update to this thread. I shortened the rear shocks and increased the preload on them. This gave me more bump travel and I set them so the wheels' static position relative to the fender was the same. I now have 3" of bump travel at the rear before hitting the bump stop, this slightly more than .5" more than I had previously. I also re-corner-balanced the car with 4 bars of fuel on the gauge.

How did it work? Well I had an event today and it drove beautifully! I maintained the tires at 32 psi and sprayed them on my last run. The car did what I wanted it to. It had no violent tendencies. I felt like I could spend more time focusing on my driving than just trying to keep the car on course. I made no modifications at all during the event other than tire maintenance. I was totally pleased. I ended up being about 2.5 seconds slower than the FTD. I'm going to do a few more events and make some driver mods now for a while and then I'll reevaluate the car's setup. I'm very happy with it right now though!
Old 07-11-2016, 07:50 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have FA500's as well, 10k rates all around w/12k valving, and have similar complaints in regards to bumps and low speed compression dampening. The rear of the car seems very unsettling at higher speeds as well, not very confidence inspiring for spirited driving. Big bumps on the freeway, it feels like the rear of the car is going to come off the ground. Ive been messing with dampening and turned back the rear 2-3 clicks each side and feels "better", but still doesnt feel 100%. Ive been contemplating bumping to 12k swifts all around, but this thread makes me believe that the shocks might be the culprit. Or maybe i need to adjust preload settings to see how it behaves (currently setup to FA preload specs).

'the skinny' details of the car:

'00 gpw

FA500s 10k all around 12k valving
eibach FSB/06 rear sway bar
17x10 +55 wheels/255/40 square RS3's
-2.6 F -2.4 R camber
6.5 caster 0 Toe front/.20 total Toe rear

Did you try to contact Fortune about this? From my experience, their Customer Service is great.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freetors
I wanted to give an update to this thread. I shortened the rear shocks and increased the preload on them. This gave me more bump travel and I set them so the wheels' static position relative to the fender was the same. I now have 3" of bump travel at the rear before hitting the bump stop, this slightly more than .5" more than I had previously. I also re-corner-balanced the car with 4 bars of fuel on the gauge.

How did it work? Well I had an event today and it drove beautifully! I maintained the tires at 32 psi and sprayed them on my last run. The car did what I wanted it to. It had no violent tendencies. I felt like I could spend more time focusing on my driving than just trying to keep the car on course. I made no modifications at all during the event other than tire maintenance. I was totally pleased. I ended up being about 2.5 seconds slower than the FTD. I'm going to do a few more events and make some driver mods now for a while and then I'll reevaluate the car's setup. I'm very happy with it right now though!
Sweet! You are on a roll.

Great fix on your car! Come out to Neosho on the 24th, or Lincoln on the 30-31 Midiv.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cpt. Spock
I have FA500's as well, 10k rates all around w/12k valving, and have similar complaints in regards to bumps and low speed compression dampening. The rear of the car seems very unsettling at higher speeds as well, not very confidence inspiring for spirited driving. Big bumps on the freeway, it feels like the rear of the car is going to come off the ground. Ive been messing with dampening and turned back the rear 2-3 clicks each side and feels "better", but still doesnt feel 100%. Ive been contemplating bumping to 12k swifts all around, but this thread makes me believe that the shocks might be the culprit. Or maybe i need to adjust preload settings to see how it behaves (currently setup to FA preload specs).

'the skinny' details of the car:

'00 gpw

FA500s 10k all around 12k valving
eibach FSB/06 rear sway bar
17x10 +55 wheels/255/40 square RS3's
-2.6 F -2.4 R camber
6.5 caster 0 Toe front/.20 total Toe rear

Did you try to contact Fortune about this? From my experience, their Customer Service is great.
I honestly think they work pretty well. I do have 12k springs on the front though. It might be worthwhile to see how much bump travel you actually have in the rear. I was surprised at how much difference jacking up the preload in the rear and shortening the shocks made while going over bumps. I can only assume it must have been hitting the bump stops. With fortune's recommended preload settings and 10k springs I bet you you'll be around 45% into the shock stroke at the rear.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kent2
Originally Posted by freetors' timestamp='1468204723' post='24013389

Sweet! You are on a roll.

Great fix on your car! Come out to Neosho on the 24th, or Lincoln on the 30-31 Midiv.
Yeah it felt great! I'll see what I can do!

Quick Reply: Spring rates for very bumpy AutoX?