S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stoptech BBK

Old 03-23-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech BBK

My car is a daily driver and weekend track event vehicle. After burning up countless rotors and pads I've finally decided on a Stoptech BBK. I don't know what the Stoptech pads that come with the kit are like. I tend to like pads with a lot more bite that a street pad on the track. Is anyone swapping pads? If so, what track-worthy pads are compatible with the Stoptech pads? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carbotech makes all of their compounds in the D609 backplate for the ST-40. But many other brands like pagid, cobalt, Ferodo, hawk, and carbone lorraine make pads to fit. I say carbotech first because they make street and track compounds that can be swithched out without needing to re-bed. So no worries about two different compounds not playing nice with eachother on the same rotor.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I swap pads for street/track on my stoptech calipers. The pads that come with the stoptech kit are excellent for the street. However, I never bothered trying them on the track. I have a dedicated pad for the track.... I'm using Pagid RS29 yellows. Simply clean up the rotor with steel wool and brake cleaner when swapping your pads. When you get to the track, do a couple laps of brake bedding, then away you go (this method was recommended to me by a local Pagid dealer, who has a lot of racing experience with these pads). Works like a charm, at least for the Pagid's. You can come into the pits to let the brakes cool to ambient, but I feel that is only necessary for new pads being bedded for the first time. If you have ducting, be sure to block off the air intakes to ease the bedding process. Or, you can try bedding them on the street, but I have never been able to successfully bed race pads in the street without driving like a donkey haha.

PS, I was never a fan of the Carbotech pads. Tried multiple compounds last season, and I wasn't able to get more than 2 track days out of any of em. IMO, go with a manufacturer that actually has a racing pedigree... As mentioned above, Ferodo, Pagid, Hawk, Performance Friction. I prefer endurance compounds that are usually easier on the rotor and last longer, at the expense of less bite (generally and comparatively speaking). Hth!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
I swap pads for street/track on my stoptech calipers. The pads that come with the stoptech kit are excellent for the street. However, I never bothered trying them on the track. I have a dedicated pad for the track.... I'm using Pagid RS29 yellows. Simply clean up the rotor with steel wool and brake cleaner when swapping your pads. When you get to the track, do a couple laps of brake bedding, then away you go (this method was recommended to me by a local Pagid dealer, who has a lot of racing experience with these pads). Works like a charm, at least for the Pagid's. You can come into the pits to let the brakes cool to ambient, but I feel that is only necessary for new pads being bedded for the first time. If you have ducting, be sure to block off the air intakes to ease the bedding process. Or, you can try bedding them on the street, but I have never been able to successfully bed race pads in the street without driving like a donkey haha.

PS, I was never a fan of the Carbotech pads. Tried multiple compounds last season, and I wasn't able to get more than 2 track days out of any of em. IMO, go with a manufacturer that actually has a racing pedigree... As mentioned above, Ferodo, Pagid, Hawk, Performance Friction. I prefer endurance compounds that are usually easier on the rotor and last longer, at the expense of less bite (generally and comparatively speaking). Hth!

I agree. I've used the Carbotech Bobcat pads for the street and the HP 10 and 12's for track days, but I'm not a fan of them either. At a track like Auto Club Speedway, the HP 10's are used up in two days. Far inferior in every way to the old Cobalt Friction Spec VR's that were the standard years ago. I've only used them because they are compatible with the Bobcat street pads.

What I want to avoid is the judder you can get swapping between street pads and track. If I understand you, the stop Stoptech street pads and the Pagid Yellows are compatible compounds?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the pagid rs19. I swapped them with the stock stoptech pads for a while. Now I just leave the rs19 in all the time.

The stock stoptech pad isn't intended for track use.

I never had problems with "judder". Back when I swapped pads, I used a scotchbright on a drill to aggressively remove old pad material.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by RSXLNT
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1332539276' post='21538165

I agree. I've used the Carbotech Bobcat pads for the street and the HP 10 and 12's for track days, but I'm not a fan of them either. At a track like Auto Club Speedway, the HP 10's are used up in two days. Far inferior in every way to the old Cobalt Friction Spec VR's that were the standard years ago. I've only used them because they are compatible with the Bobcat street pads.

What I want to avoid is the judder you can get swapping between street pads and track. If I understand you, the stop Stoptech street pads and the Pagid Yellows are compatible compounds?

He mentioned that he steel wools the old compound off the rotors and cleans it with brake cleaner.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Reapur
Originally Posted by RSXLNT' timestamp='1332618076' post='21540080
[quote name='06Estukay' timestamp='1332539276' post='21538165']

He mentioned that he steel wools the old compound off the rotors and cleans it with brake cleaner.
[/quote]

Point well taken. What I'm trying to find are street and track pads that are truly compatible and can be swapped back and forth with a minimum of fuss. Other than the Carbotech's is anyone aware of street and track pads by the same manufacturer that have compatible compounds?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

When I had stoptechs on my RSX, I ran Hawk HP+ all around on the street and then switch to Hawk HT-10s up front at the track (in fact I'm doing this with the S this season but in stock size of course). These two pads I found were very compatible. Had it for years with no brake problems going back and forth. HT-10s are a bit abrasive when cold which I used to my advantage by driving home with them on which would inevitably scrape some of the material off the pad and they'd be ready for the HP+ pads to go back on.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by steguis
When I had stoptechs on my RSX, I ran Hawk HP+ all around on the street and then switch to Hawk HT-10s up front at the track (in fact I'm doing this with the S this season but in stock size of course). These two pads I found were very compatible. Had it for years with no brake problems going back and forth. HT-10s are a bit abrasive when cold which I used to my advantage by driving home with them on which would inevitably scrape some of the material off the pad and they'd be ready for the HP+ pads to go back on.
Are the Hawk HT-10's also known as the Hawk Blues?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

No, Hawk HT-10s are the pad before Hawk blues. They are full on track pads but not as aggressive. With stoptechs I don't see how you'd ever over heat these though so they'd be a great alternative. I'm really curious about switching to Carbotech XP10/XP8 but since I autox a lot, HP+ pads offers tons of initial bite so they are ideal for that use but to handle the heat of repetitive high speed braking on the track, switching to HT-10 is a preferred compound for the front if you go with a Hawk setup as they have a higher temp range. That being said, when I run street tires at the track, I found HP pluses to be more than adequate. I only use HT-10s when I'm running on stickier rubber like Nitto NT-01s.

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK