S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stoptech BBK

Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech BBK

Greetings all, it's been a while since I last posted. Hope you are all well.

I just bought the Stoptech front BBK for my AP2. I haven't installed it yet, but will soon. I just got off the phone with Stoptech technical staff. I asked which pads I should use for track days as my car is a daily driver and I typically swap pads for track days. They told me that the stock pads that come with the BBK are fine for track days. They said that stock GT3's are running their BBK with street pads on the track with good results. Too good to be true? I'd love not having to swap pads. What has been your experience? Thanks!

BTW, Stoptech now makes a race pad called the SR-32.

Info. here: http://www.stoptech.com/racing/racin...ing-brake-pads
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

I run the street pads with ducting. After about 20k miles and 4 track days, i think I still have like 8mm of pad left. So a ton. I did buy a set of Ferodo DS3000 pads which I used one time. I'll sell them to you cheap

I'm heading up Willow Spring on Saturday actually.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM

Long time no see!

Goodness, that's a lot of track days to have that much pad left. With my stock setup, a set of $200 track pads last about two days. That's why I bought the BBK. I've seen the Stopteck street pads for the BBK as low as $50!

So with ducting the street pads hold up at the track?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just because you can run it doesn't mean you should for optimal track performance.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi
just because you can run it doesn't mean you should for optimal track performance.
Yeah. I doubt they'd hold up well to track abuse. Maybe if the track is not hard on brakes but otherwise its so easy to swap pads on the stoptechs
Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
Originally Posted by chuhsi' timestamp='1355458192' post='22209617
Yeah. I doubt they'd hold up well to track abuse. Maybe if the track is not hard on brakes but otherwise its so easy to swap pads on the stoptechs
I take that back, 3 days on the street pads, one day on the DS3000s. Two of those days were at Streets of Willow and one at Chuckwalla. The day at Chuckwalla hit 95F. On a near stock power S2k with ducting, the street pads hold up just fine with the Stoptech BBK. I never got fade at the track. Two things that allow the use of street pads on a basically stock powered car: being a BBK with larger vented rotors, and the ducting.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a pinch I used the stock stoptech pads. They held up but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't imagine they'd last very long. More importantly, I prefer a track pad with much more bite.

I use the Pagid RS-19 and they're excellent. They seem expensive until you factor in longevity. I have ~25 track days on mine and there's plenty pad material left.

I do have ducting.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by turbo8765
In a pinch I used the stock stoptech pads. They held up but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't imagine they'd last very long. More importantly, I prefer a track pad with much more bite.

I use the Pagid RS-19 and they're excellent. They seem expensive until you factor in longevity. I have ~25 track days on mine and there's plenty pad material left.

I do have ducting.
Goodness, 25 track days on a set of pads, that more than pays for the Stoptech BBK. Excellent!

Does Pagid make a street pad that's compatible with the RS-19? My car's a daily driver as well as weekend track toy. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Originally Posted by afzan' timestamp='1355462270' post='22209702
[quote name='chuhsi' timestamp='1355458192' post='22209617']
I take that back, 3 days on the street pads, one day on the DS3000s. Two of those days were at Streets of Willow and one at Chuckwalla. The day at Chuckwalla hit 95F. On a near stock power S2k with ducting, the street pads hold up just fine with the Stoptech BBK. I never got fade at the track. Two things that allow the use of street pads on a basically stock powered car: being a BBK with larger vented rotors, and the ducting.
[/quote]

Did the stock pads require a lot more leg muscle relative to the DS3000's?
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXLNT
Originally Posted by turbo8765' timestamp='1355496371' post='22210180

I do have ducting.
Goodness, 25 track days on a set of pads, that more than pays for the Stoptech BBK. Excellent!

Does Pagid make a street pad that's compatible with the RS-19? My car's a daily driver as well as weekend track toy. Thanks!
When I was running the pagid rs29's, I swapped back and forth between the stoptech pads all the time. Had no problems. It was tricker going from the pagids to the stoptechs vs the stoptechs to the pagids.

And yep, the pagids last a heck of a long time. I was trying my hardest to kill them just so I could change it up and experiment with a different pad hah

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK