S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Stoptech BBK Front and Rear - What pads?

Old 03-18-2015, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stoptech BBK Front and Rear - What pads?

Hey everyone, just posting a thread to gather some opinions. I have the SToptech brake kit, 4 piston with 328mm rotor front and 2 piston rear. I am novice/intermidiate, this is just an HPDE car. Power is stock. Mods include

17x9 + 49 square WedsSport TC105N
255/40/17 Direzza Star Specs ZII
Js camber joints
APR wing

Would it be okay to run the street pads in the rear, or should I go with a dedicated track pad? I want pads that are more rotor friendly if possible, since I would want the rotors to last.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin
Old 03-18-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

You can run the pads they came with for a while to get a feel. When I first got my kit I used the pads they came with and they never faded but they didn't stop as good as the DTC70s I eventually put on them.

The rotors will last a long time. I used about half the stoptech pads, a full set of XP10s, and I'm about halfway through a set of DTC70s all on the same rotor rings.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:47 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I only have one 7 session 25 minutes each day on my front STR40s, but I went with the PFC08 and they performed excellent with very little wear. I would definitely run them in the front and rear.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

PFC08
Old 03-18-2015, 03:19 PM

Carbotech all the way. You a better pad in the back to increase the bit to even out the brake bias. I run the autocross pads in the back, AX6 and the track pads in the front XP8 in the front. The reason I like Carbotech is that there entire line is made from the same material. Other manufactures have different materials for different grades. Why does this make a difference? When you change material you should deeply scour the rotors to remove as much of the old material as possible and go through the bedding process. The bedding process impregnates the rotor with the pad material. With Carbotech you can switch to a lower or higher pad with going through this process. And by the way there is no one pad for the street and the track as the rotor temperatures vary greatly thus effect the pad performance. Track pads need to hot to work and street pads cold to work. A track pad on the street will smear the rotor with material. A street pad on the track will basically burn.

Carbotech™ AX6™
The AX6™ is specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range of 50°F to 1000°F + (10°C to 537°C+). The advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial bite, high coefficient of friction at lower temperatures along with very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech™ doesn't recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT recommended as a race compound in most applications.

Carbotech™ XP8™
A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

Carbotech™ XP10™
When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Here if the full line of Carbotech pads for StopTech brakes:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/calipers.asp...-Tech_Calipers

more on the bedding process:

http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp#bedding4

Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts

Kevin, I think you will be happier with dedicated track pads. I ran three track days with the OEM pads and they basically disintegrated with probably 60% of pad material left. I now run Carbotech XP10 pads front and rear. I swap them out at home and drive to the track to bed them in. see http://www.essexparts.com/learning-c.../swapping_pads.

I bought my pads a few years ago through Ricks. A discounted price should appear on the site when you check out. In the long run, I think you'll save money and be happier with separate street and track pads.

I have at least 15 or 20 track days in the S. My rotors are fine. Maybe I'm not the most aggressive driver since my car is in stock form. But I pay particular attention to cooling my brakes after a run, circling the paddock or a quiet area of the track property a couple of extra times while everyone else has parked. And when I do park, I move the car backwards or forwards half a wheel turn after a few minutes to help cool that part of the rotor under the pad. I'll avoid a puddle of water at all costs to avoid shocking the rotors. My rotors have survived and as far as I can tell, the Carbotech pads are rotor friendly.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would recommend against Crapotech. For rotor wear, they are mediocre at best. They are way too grabby, and pedal feel is junk.

A DTC70/60 combo would work nice, but not exactly known for being rotor friendly.

My vote goes to PFC08's. For pedal feel, flat torque curve, modulation and release, they are second to none.
I would rate Pagid RS29's a close second.
Both of the above are EXCELLENT for rotor wear. They are both designed as endurance pads that are easy on rotors. Both are used in endurance racing, like the 24h of Le Mans.

Endless pads (the motorsports ones) are supposedly excellent, haven't tried them, but a lot of Porsche Cup guys are loving them. Ditto for ProjectMu.

You get what you pay for.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:37 AM

Apparently asking about brake pads is like asking about motor oil. Everyone knows a guy who's motor blew up using XYZ oil. Same with brakes. The thing with brakes is that everyone uses them differently which can lead to different wear results and performance.

If there was a perfect brake pad I think everyone would know it by now.

As far as the Hawk crap above stay away at all costs. They are much worse on rotors than Carbotech. The brake dust from Hawk pads also is known to damage your paint. Just Google Carbotech Vs Hawk and Carotech wins everytime.

Look at this link to the Corvette forum. This is a much heavier car with a lot of power so what works good for them will be great for us.

But first here a couple of quotes:

Hawk brake dust is evil. It will ruin your paint eventually. Too bad they don't make Wilwood pads for OEM brakes. My Wilwoods have always lasted a long time compared to all other pad manufacturers.

I will say the Carbo's have an awesome initial bite even when cold. They have great pedal feel and modulation, whereas the Wilwoods and Hawk's need to come up to temp for a few laps. At first you push and you almost have nothing, then after 3 laps they come into heat range.

After many back to back tests with both the Carbos and Hawks, I can tell you that I like the Carbos better. Here's why:

1. The Carbos are more consistent thru the whole braking zone. The 70s have more initial bite, but aren't consistent (to me) thru the rest of the zone. The Carbos have the same characteristics thru the entire zone...and on the whole track.

2. The wear rate was actually 1mm better for the Carbos than the Hawks. I tested both my C5 and my C6 on both brands of brakes and on each test, the Hawks wore 1mm further (more) than the XP12s on the same track. My first test was at HPT using my C5, the next test was a year later with my C6, and I tested Road America with my C6.
3. Carbos are cheaper.

4. Hawk dust is EXTREMELY corrosive and god help you if it gets wet and gets on the wheels. You just can't get that stuff off. Carbotech uses a ceramic style compound that is non corrosive and very easy to clean...just blow the dust off.

5. The Hawks definitely crack rotors quicker and gouge them more. In comparison, the Carbotech padded rotors look reasonably smooth compared to the DTC70s

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tech-xp12.html
Old 03-19-2015, 06:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

with my stoptech kit, I run xp10s on the track, ax6 at autox, I used to run the bobcats on the street when I use to run it there.

carbotech is the best since all the compounds are compatible. so no need to bed in new pads when you swap them out. just put the pins slap in the pads and go!
Old 03-19-2015, 06:40 AM

Thanks for all the feedback it is much appreciated and helpful.

Just throwing this out there, has anyone tried Stoptech race pads?

http://www.stoptech.com/racing/racin...ing-brake-pads

Quick Reply: Stoptech BBK Front and Rear - What pads?