S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What brand of shocks do you use?
Penske
12.84%
Moton
8.11%
AST
6.08%
Ohlins
11.49%
JRZ
5.41%
Sachs
0%
Koni Yellow (Sport)
14.19%
Bilstein
4.73%
KW
9.46%
Tein
6.76%
Other
19.59%
Koni Mono Tube
1.35%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Shock / Damper and Springs Discussion

Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the sheet man. It looks complex I'll play with it tonight at work. Have you tried to see what spring combination comes up with the highest mechanical grip numbers? If so what did it say?

As for running softer springs, I get the logic to it but it's very wierd all the top guys at nationals had springs in the 700-900 range. I think it has to do with how fast you can get the car to transfer wieght when trying to get through elements. A soft car requires you to "wait of it." while a stiff car you can steer right through the elements without the need of waiting for the car to transition. I think once lowered the roll centers get changed and require more spring to keep the roll in check. Hens the need for stiff springs.

With a set-up as soft as yours I'm not sure I could get the car through the elements as quickly as if I had a stiffer set-up. I feel I would have to watch my speed based on transition speeds of the car to govern how fast I can get the car through that element. On a stiff set-up you can just put the pedal to the floor and steer through. Of-course on sweepers you give up alittle.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, a car that's quick to transfer weight takes SLOOOOOW hands so if your hands are jabby, a softer car will be easier to get around the course. Additionally, I'd prefer to have a softer car on a sweeper course and a stiffer one on a Roger Johnson course. I guess some low speed compression with lots of adjustment would be a possible answer to this dilemma.

Just random Friday reflections that could be highly subjective. I'm stoked to go run Dixie on Sunday. 60* should be fairly similar to the March event.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Post fail! I was typing mine on my iPhone and after I posted I went back to see if anyone posted during the time I was typing. It's funny our post said the same exact thing. Haha.
I myself and I'd guess 75% of the rest of the people that run STR don't really care about how soft it rides. They just want it to be as fast as possible. If that means bad ride quality so be it. My car rides great with 900 lbs front springs. I also have the rebound to keep it in check though.

I'd venture to think a 2.3-2.5hz range would be good. I'm in the 2.7F-2.5R range. The 2.7 makes me alittle nervous and makes me wonder if I should bring it down to 2.6ish but it was proven to work at nationals in many cars.

Granted I do realize I'm giving up some on slick, bumpy sites. The question is more of "where do you wanna be fast." I myself want to be fast at Blytheville, Nationals and other national races even though I only run a few each year.

I should prolly run in the 800f/700 rear range but we'll see. I'm very interested in seeing how you like the stiffer rear spring. The logic is their but I feel the s2k isn't your typical car to balance.

I wonder if the soft sidewalks of the kooks result to us trying to make up the roll caused from tire deformation with stiffer springs.

Shoot me a pm or email and I'll send it to you. I'm on my phone and Not around the computer to go look your email up on my pms.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Originally Posted by dnace' timestamp='1326479230' post='21314372

interesting I didn't realize most guys were there I am aroung 2.1 front and back right now. I am considering bringing the front down to around 2 and the rear to arouns 2.2ish

Good info on the RS3s 1.1 was what I had heard. Good to know I was conservative so I could be more agressive.
Yeah generally people seem to be up in the 750-900 lbs/in area, the car I codrove at a tour last year was 1000 lb/in all around and it felt just fine.

I think the big reason is everyone wants to have such insanely low ride heights.

Me personally, I'm more on the same page as you at this point, I want to try going much lower closer to 2 hz. Partially because it's my (and my girlfriend's) daily driver. And partially since I think it'll help mechanical grip. It'll be a little harder to drive though, you don't have that razor sharp precision. We'll see how it goes.
yeah I barely drive mine. after race seats and harnesses and keeping the turn down on the car is annoying on the street.

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Thanks for the sheet man. It looks complex I'll play with it tonight at work. Have you tried to see what spring combination comes up with the highest mechanical grip numbers? If so what did it say?

As for running softer springs, I get the logic to it but it's very wierd all the top guys at nationals had springs in the 700-900 range. I think it has to do with how fast you can get the car to transfer wieght when trying to get through elements. A soft car requires you to "wait of it." while a stiff car you can steer right through the elements without the need of waiting for the car to transition. I think once lowered the roll centers get changed and require more spring to keep the roll in check. Hens the need for stiff springs.

With a set-up as soft as yours I'm not sure I could get the car through the elements as quickly as if I had a stiffer set-up. I feel I would have to watch my speed based on transition speeds of the car to govern how fast I can get the car through that element. On a stiff set-up you can just put the pedal to the floor and steer through. Of-course on sweepers you give up alittle.
I was blown away what you could do with this setup. Once I figured out how to drive I had my best results against the barowskis, even beat them when they ran STR (albiet under prepared). With my current setup some of the tight stuff and slaloms are stupid fast. Granted it is eager over bumps and requires veeeeeeery smooth hands and no sudden lifting.
Originally Posted by glagola1
BTW, a car that's quick to transfer weight takes SLOOOOOW hands so if your hands are jabby, a softer car will be easier to get around the course.
agree 100% I could be very rought before. now I probably require 30-40% less steering input and to get there it must be smooth. My first day at nationals we had only had one event on this setup (shouldn't have done that) and I was having trouble keeping the car from sliding/spinning.

we will see I am excited to find this out. it may not work though.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 PM

So if you are blown away at what you can do with a stiff set-up what made you want to go to a "soft" set-up?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 AM

Mark just installed Moton Club Sport on the new car. Whoot!!!

With the changes we are doing with the swaybars, we tweaked the spring rates a little and went with 850F/350R. Unfortunately, by the time we were done, there was 1-3" of snow on the roads, so I was just happy to get the car home without wrecking.

-D
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by josh7owens
So if you are blown away at what you can do with a stiff set-up what made you want to go to a "soft" set-up?
let me rephrase, blown away with a stiff rear and softer front.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Is it better for handling to increase low speed bump and decrease spring rate or run "little" low speed bump and increase spring rate?

Better is in reference to increasing roll stiffness for fast transitions while also maintaining maximum mechanical grip.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Other than going through KW anyone have a good resource for getting some rebuilt? Preferably on the east coast/mid-west.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by //steve\\
Other than going through KW anyone have a good resource for getting some rebuilt? Preferably on the east coast/mid-west.
This is a guy EVO and STi people usually work with. http://www.robispec.com/
he might be able to help out with the S2000 shocks.

I heard it is much better if you call him rather than email.

BTW, I really like my KW Clubsports with 700/650 rates now after driving it for one event over the weekend. With the Gendron 1.25"/.25 bar on full stiff = a little pushy but I bet the front bar on 5 of 6 is really nice. Will try in next event!

Also, I measured and there is no need for bump stops on there rear shocks with 5.5" 650s (Hyperco) and the helper springs still there. No need for those extended top hats like you are/were trying to run. The spring will compress solid and before the shock body will be able to hit the top mount. about 0.75" clearance (technically you can still leave a 1" bump stop in there and be just fine I guess but I took mine out so I can see how far the shock is actually compressing with zipties. Clearance will change from spring to spring though but it appears you could probably run a 7" spring and still be fine without a bump stop.

I'm thinking about swapping to an OEM rear top hat on the rear suspension though to get a little more cushion for DD. I'll likely throw a 3/4 to 1" bump stop back in there for extra security once I know it doesn't interfere with typicaly AutoX driving.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Shock / Damper and Springs Discussion